• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Neo Geo Console Revived in Authorized Remake in December

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Not interested for a small bit of technology.
zr2008

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Aren't most or all of these games available in various "classics" collections or DLC?
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
This is how you know 90's nostalgia is reaching its critical point. Was anyone waxing nostalgia over the Neo Geo? Like, at all?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have a clue if any other Neo Geo games outside of the ones being released for this new system will work with it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Super excited for this! i never played the original Neo Geo but it sounded interesting and now I have the chance too! *Adds to Christmas wishlist*
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
This is how you know 90's nostalgia is reaching its critical point. Was anyone waxing nostalgia over the Neo Geo? Like, at all?

neo-geo.com/forums
Regannator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:

I was. But, only like...$100 worth. Maybe.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering, is this like that Atari 2600 retro console that looks like its late-1970s/early-1980s counterpart but which comes preloaded with games and doesn't have a cartridge slot? I see what looks like a cartridge slot, and the article does mention "an expandable game slot," but will it actually play old Neo-Geo cartridges or is the cartridge slot mostly cosmetic?

zr2008 wrote:
Aren't most or all of these games available in various "classics" collections or DLC?

I think this is for those of us who wanted a Neo-Geo back in the day but couldn't afford it. Yes, you can play at least most Neo-Geo games legally in emulated form on modern consoles (or tablets or even smartphones) for much cheaper, but there's still the appeal of playing old games on something that at least cosmetically resembles the original hardware with an old-school joystick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yerld

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Supposedly, it's a SD card slot.

To me, a "revived" game system is a waste of money unless the original hardware specs are reproduced. Otherwise, it's just a dodgy emulation box masquerading as a much-loved console (supposedly, the licensed Genesis/Megadrive replications are terrible. Also, the SD slot only exists so that users can run downloaded ROMs, although Sega has never stepped in to stop manufacturers from offering that feature).
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
I still have my original Neo-Geo. Though I sold off most of my games, I haven't been able to part ways with it purely for nostalgia reasons. The concept is cool, but it's limited in games and you what would've been really awesome? Adding network multi-player.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
Yerld wrote:
Supposedly, it's a SD card slot.

To me, a "revived" game system is a waste of money unless the original hardware specs are reproduced. Otherwise, it's just a dodgy emulation box masquerading as a much-loved console (supposedly, the licensed Genesis/Megadrive replications are terrible. Also, the SD slot only exists so that users can run downloaded ROMs, although Sega has never stepped in to stop manufacturers from offering that feature).

This is why it's not a authentic updated version of the console. All it is is a glorified emulator that someone is trying to sell for a ton of money that is not even worth now. No one had one when it was $700 and no one wants a knockoff for $200 now. Anyways How would you be able to play those huge carts in something that small anyways. If anything this is closer to probably the Neo-Geo Pocket and not the home console.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Wow...

So many of you betray your age and general IGNORANCE.
If it was before your time, you automatically assume it sucks or that the present day is better... or you spout off because you couldn't afford it "back-in-the-day" or didn't and can't appreciate it because of age (again). Basically the same as older or present-day anime that's beyond your wallet. Cute... nice to see some things don't change!

The Neo-Geo in its time was the only "arcade-perfect" console on the market. It was IDENTICAL to the arcade machine thus the ports were also arcade-perfect. Of course, they were on huge cartridges -- the biggest I've ever seen for a home console -- that cost $200 (discount price) brand-new. This and the cost of the system ($500+) when it was brand-new made it a high-end collector's item. It briefly made an appearance in US stores but disappeared quickly when US gamers balked at the cost. Only 3DO debuted at an equal or higher cost but 3DO died very quickly despite price cuts in its console and lower CD-ROM software costs.

(A Neo-Geo CD-ROM console was released but was generally frowned upon for long load times and rearranged music on the game ports. It was never as popular or desired as the cartridge-based system. To my knowledge, SNK never used a CD-ROM based system in the original Neo-Geo arcade units.)

Despite that, the system soldiered on for a long time; it debuted in arcades in 1989 and was so well-designed that games were written for it for at least a decade. (Even Capcom went through THREE of their own arcade systems during that time and ended up using Dreamcast/Naomi technology after their failed CPS-3 system. Capcom's own arcade-based home console didn't last as long as the Neo-Geo and was never anywhere near as popular with the hardcore gaming crowd.) The cheapest I ever saw the Neo-Geo console system ever sell for was $200 brand-new. Today you cannot even buy a nice condition USED Neo-Geo for that price... They are very collectible and prized items, especially the Japanese console which never had the violence/blood restrictions the US machine had (that could be overriden with a mod switch). Original Neo-Geo joysticks in excellent condition are worth $100 or more now.

Let's see a few titles of the so-called "worthless" games... Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Last Blade, Metal Slug, Art of Fighting, etc. Sure, it mostly majored in fighting games but everyone of those titles was very popular in its time and a few of them still have new chapters every so often... King of Fighters gets a regular update just about every year.

As far titles being "widely" available on-disc, that was true ONLY for the PS2. Most other consoles only got one collection or two. The PS2 console got the most newer game ports (Japan-only; MS locked in exclusives on 2 or 3 newer games for the original XBox) and exclusive game collections for the more popular Neo-Geo series (Samurai Shodown, KOF, Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, etc.). There were a number of collections NEVER released in the US or that had small print runs for the US PlayStation 2.

You can download authorized ports for PS3 and XBox but they don't have every game available; XBox 360 definitely has more Neo-Geo titles than PS3. As far as unauthorized ports/rips go, illegal emulation is far from perfect and at times is like doing voodoo to get games to run correctly = more art than science.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
If its big claim to fame is being "arcade perfect", that's not much of a base to wax nostalgic on. For the most part, its only of interest to dedicated fighting game players.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
If its big claim to fame is being "arcade perfect", that's not much of a base to wax nostalgic on. For the most part, its only of interest to dedicated fighting game players.

It is though if you grew up when arcades were still around and you wanted a neo-geo at home but it was too expensive. And its not only of interest to fighting games, but fans of arcade games.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
As it happens, emulation of the Neo-Geo is now possible on hardware one fifth of this console's price. Such a comparison, it must be admitted, overlooks the inclusion of the laudable controller with the latter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2