• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Shakugan no Shana English Dub Cast

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
From that breif clip Shana and Alastair sounds fine to me. Glad they decided to use their in-house talent cause its not like the previous cast were super awesome besides Alastair and it saves Funi some money.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
From that breif clip Shana and Alastair sounds fine to me. Glad they decided to use their in-house talent cause its not like the previous cast were super awesome besides Alastair and it saves Funi some money.

Pretty sure it is/should be Alastor not Alastair. In other news...this release is only 3 (?) years late and only 5 years after it aired and about 1 year after the finale?

As for the subs, on season 3 when it was simulcasted by Funico, I was rather disappointed as it seemed the translator clearly had not read the source material prior to translating. I only fear that the Funimation will only screw this up further in the dub considering Geneon only did an ok job.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
daichi383 wrote:

Pretty sure it is/should be Alastor not Alastair. In other news...this release is only 3 (?) years late and only 5 years after it aired and about 1 year after the finale?

As for the subs, on season 3 when it was simulcasted by Funico, I was rather disappointed as it seemed the translator clearly had not read the source material prior to translating. I only fear that the Funimation will only screw this up further in the dub considering Geneon only did an ok job.

Cheers for the correction and well who cares how long it took as long as it is actually coming out. I'd prefer this to a quicker sub-only release.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
It's as I expected. The actors aren't bad... just different.

It's gonna take some getting used to for me.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
*YAAWWWWN* Typical FUNi cast is typical. Absolutely no surprises or risks taken. Confused

Kent Williams is a better Alastor than I expected him to be. Cherami KINDA sounds like Tabitha St. Germain, but not that much. And I have little to no confidence in the rest of the cast, to be perfectly honest.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like it could be really good. I wasn't a huge fan of the old dub, mainly just Tabitha and Dobson, but I still would've preferred the continuity. Kent Williams, though, is dynamite as Alastor. Cherami was pretty good as well, and the rest of the cast looks solid. I'm curious as to how Justin Cook sounds as Marcosias since he's such an oddball character. I hope they handle the ~de arimasu as well as (or just like) Ocean, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, Cherami sounds great as Shana! They should have put at least one "Shut up! Shut UP! SHUT UP!" in the clip though, that is the real test for the character!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Ship it to the UK and it's money in your pocket.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
daichi383 wrote:

Wow, lots of negativity here. The geneon merger held up the release date. there was nothing funimation could have done until it ended. Christopher Bevins is the ADR director, so you can get rid of any crazy fears you have about funimation screwing things up.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why they did that, It's not that the Geneon dub was bad, but that can't they have the Ocean Group reprise the dub instead of changing that enitre main cast? I know it's cheaper to do their prouduction in house, but messing with the entire cast? I specuated that they would do it as a rare move, but nooooooo they didn't! I hope some ask this question are their Anime Revloution panel!

Last edited by Chii85 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
*YAAWWWWN* Typical FUNi cast is typical. Absolutely no surprises or risks taken. Confused

Kent Williams is a better Alastor than I expected him to be. Cherami KINDA sounds like Tabitha St. Germain, but not that much. And I have little to no confidence in the rest of the cast, to be perfectly honest.

might wanna try watching an entire episode instead of a minute long clip before convincing yourself its not worthy of your time
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
I don't understand why they did that, It's not that the Geneon dub was bad, but that can't they have the Ocean Group reprise the dub instead of changing that enitre main cast? I know it's cheaper to do their prouduction in house, but messing with the entire cast? I specuated that they would do it as a rare move, but nooooooo they didn't! I hope some ask this question are their Anime Revloution panel!

mainly money. so much cheaper to dub in house than ship it off to canada.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Supreme Throne HE KA TEEEEE?

Seriously Funi?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Supreme Throne HE KA TEEEEE?

Seriously Funi?

how is her name supposed to be pronounced?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Woo, Heck-a-tee. Almost like a Huckabee.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12