• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zelda: Historia Tops 50 Shades, Ranks #1 on Amazon USA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
Heck, Hunger Games passed Fifty Shades, among others.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
Whoever wrote that Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is probably rolling in cash right now. 1000+ days in the top 100? Wow.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this one didn't get tagged as Interest.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Whoever wrote that Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is probably rolling in cash right now. 1000+ days in the top 100? Wow.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this one didn't get tagged as Interest.

Because it's an urgent news flash that a large proportion of humanity actually do prefer things other than badly written, abusive Twilight fanfiction that misrepresents S&M. Seriously, how the f--- did 50 Shades of S--- even get published? >>

Hyrule Historia is out 10 days after my birthday, so I'm asking my family for that xD
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Because it's an urgent news flash that a large proportion of humanity actually do prefer things other than badly written, abusive Twilight fanfiction that misrepresents S&M. Seriously, how the f--- did 50 Shades of S--- even get published? >>

I thought it was initially self-published?

Anyways, probably like the way S&M hentai get published in Japan. Laughing
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

I thought it was initially self-published?

It started off as a Twilight fanfiction that was rejected by the fan community for being too erm...well. Snowqueen's Icedragon (aka E.L. James) pulled it from fanfiction websites and hosted it on her own website. She then removed it and made it an original work (mainly by renaming the characters, if what I'm told on that bit is accurate) before it was split into three volumes and released as an eBook and print-on-demand title by Australian publisher The Writers' Coffee Shop. Due to a limited budget, the publisher mainly relied on book blogs to plug the book.
Due to the success of the ebook editions, it was then picked up by Vintage Books.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

It started off as a Twilight fanfiction that was rejected by the fan community for being too erm...well. Snowqueen's Icedragon (aka E.L. James) pulled it from fanfiction websites and hosted it on her own website. She then removed it and made it an original work (mainly by renaming the characters, if what I'm told on that bit is accurate) before it was split into three volumes and released as an eBook and print-on-demand title by Australian publisher The Writers' Coffee Shop. Due to a limited budget, the publisher mainly relied on book blogs to plug the book.
Due to the success of the ebook editions, it was then picked up by Vintage Books.

This fact alone makes it sad with why it's been so popular... Not many people even know about it's origins. I've read excerpts that people have posted online making fun of the writing, and it really IS atrocious! With Hyrule Hisotria topping it, it tells me that there is some faith left in humanity! (I helped contribute with preordering it too!)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

This fact alone makes it sad with why it's been so popular... Not many people even know about it's origins.

Oh, I think many people have heard that it's originally Twilight fanfiction. It's not exactly secret; word like that travels fast. Heck, I think that actually helped in its success, because people are curious about something popular like that, both for who like and hate Twilight. Nevertheless, something's origin should be peripheral to the end result. After all, many doujin-ka start off as knockoffs before tweaking their own stories. In the end, the work should stand on its own.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Oh, I think many people have heard that it's originally Twilight fanfiction. It's not exactly secret; word like that travels fast. Heck, I think that actually helped in its success, because people are curious about something popular like that, both for who like and hate Twilight. .

I honestly don't think so. A lot of people I know who have read the 50 Shades books, probably don't even know what a "fan fiction" is. Not everyone that read Twilight read these either. They're pretty different demographics, although they can of course overlap.
What I'm trying to say, is that most mainstream readers would probably be confused if the book was still under the author's name of "Snowqueen's Icedragon". Not everyone is familiar with sub fandoms, such as fan fics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1