• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Genshiken Official Book

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grico

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I picked this up for airport reading and it didn't really seem worth the money. It promised new Genshiken stories and we get two text stories not by the original author that basically take place in the middle of the manga run that add very little. There is a decent amount of straight plot summing up in here and since it only goes up to the 5th manga or so it is both out of date story wise and relatively pointless for people that have already read the manga. The Akamatsu interview was at least new and somewhat interesting. I personally would recommend giving it a pass, as it adds very little to the universe. Re-read the manga, it is great enough on its own.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
A must for any Genshiken fan. Period.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'm still a bit amazed they released this here. One rarely sees fan books in english. It's a cute little distraction for those that love the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
I fail to see the point of releasing it if it only goes up to Volume 5 also, since its misses key story components. I have read the manga four times and long for the rest of it to be animated. I'm a big fan of the series and I would not buy this Sad
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
Kujibiki Unbalance really seems to be the bane of most Genshiken fans doesn't it? I sure loved Genshiken. This review made me want to dust off my copies and give it another go.[/quote]
Sorce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Kujibiki Unbalance really seems to be the bane of most Genshiken fans doesn't it?
Lord knows I always avoided it, in both the manga and the anime forms. It's the reason I haven't picked up a the Genshiken OVA yet, since that was relegated to the status of "DVD Extra" on the KujiUn release. Being amused at the character's fandom is one thing, having the desire to share in it (that specifically, I suppose) is another.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
I actually like KujiUn, though not as much as the main characters and story of Genshiken. I can't really imagine the latter without the former. How else could we have seen Saki cosplay the President so wonderfully? Anyway, I think this book is a must-have for any fan of the series.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Being a fan of Genshiken since the Del Ray announced plans to license the first volume of Genshken(2005), this fan book was well worth the read. Though I would have prefered a time skip to see what the characters would be like past graduation, at least the book kept me interested.

Like everyone else said, a must for any Genshken fan.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Carlo wrote:
but having an interview with manga-ka Ken Akamatsu—who apparently is the archetypal fanboy-who-made-it-pro—seems like an odd choice when it would make much more sense to get the esteemed otaku opinion of someone like, say, Kio Shimoku himself.

But maybe since he is the one who wrote and put out this book it felt to him, I don't know, a little pretentious.

Or maybe he just admires Ken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Isikari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I remember sifting through ANN threads, flipping through the encyclopedia, and generally blowing time looking for the next anime show I was going to watch. A year and a half ago in my dorm room at the outset of my Freshman year in college, I found it in Genshiken. The first episode sucked me right in as I connected instantly with Kanji's attempts to make sense of and fit into college. As the series progressed I found myself increasingly drawn to the characters, seeing both myself and many of my friends from the old high school anime club in them.

After I finished the anime I went straight to the manga and enjoyed it even more, and bought this book immediately upon seeing it in Barnes & Nobles. If you buy this expecting new stories or startling revelations you'll probably end up regretting it. But if you connect with Genshiken and felt any moments of kinship with the various cast of characters we learned to love, then this is for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1