• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Otakon Aims to Have Its Own Beat-'Em-Up Video Game (Updated)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
This looks clunky and stupid. Not worth it.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind this is just a VERY preliminary test version you're seeing here (it's not even a beta yet); that said, it actually plays okay so far (in that it feels like the sort of game it's supposed to feel like), and it'll get smoother once the dev begins in earnest. At the rate they're going, that could be very soon.

If you're not into this style of game (which hasn't been as popular in recent years), then of course you're not going to be into it. But I'm guessing you never played those old side-scrolllers. TMNT, Simpsons, X-men -- even the more recent throwback they did for Scott Pilgrim (which was awesome) follow a pretty straightforward model, leading to waves of henchmen, several minibosses, and then a boss fight at each level. Like the others, they use existing characters and settings and set up a brawl-and-crawl with thematically appropriate power-ups and in-jokes along the way. They all aim to recapture a certain feel, and so far the prototype/proof-of-concept stuff you're seeing here does that.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I see with the game so far is it is - as mentioned above - pretty clunky.

However, if the devs can make everything run a bit more smoothly, then I'd be all over this!! I love side-scrolling beat-em-ups, so if they can make it play as good as Final Fight or Scott Pilgrim, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Also, the voice cast they've got so far is superb considering it's only a indie game. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this as the production goes along!! Hopefully, they'll release it as an XBLA title.
Studionasu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, that's only about 3 weeks of development you're seeing. We have some talented people on board to make it look great, including character designer Robert DeJesus, many of the animators and sprite artists who worked on Skullgirls, and cut-scene animator Rusty Mills, producer and animator from Animaniacs and more. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on the game. =)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Can you whomp on incompetent staffers, terrible programmers, and unprepared panelists? Will Peter S. Beagle make an appearance? GASHICON? Vixx?

Well, the convention center exterior background is pretty awesome, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Studionasu wrote:
Don't worry, that's only about 3 weeks of development you're seeing. We have some talented people on board to make it look great, including character designer Robert DeJesus, many of the animators and sprite artists who worked on Skullgirls, and cut-scene animator Rusty Mills, producer and animator from Animaniacs and more. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on the game. =)

SOLD. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have a question. Will there be any more high profile anime actors in the game? Any chance for Patrick Seitz or Crispin Freeman?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
It looks a little crappy to me so I won't support the Kickstarter but if the game turns out good I'll buy a copy.
Studionasu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Haha, one of the best parts of the game is that we'll be taking ideas from backers for the game. If we use a backer's idea, that backer will be credited as a designer!
Studionasu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I have a question. Will there be any more high profile anime actors in the game? Any chance for Patrick Seitz or Crispin Freeman?

Yes, if funding allows, we plan on getting a lot more VAs into the game. Rikki Simons and J Michael Tatum are on the list, in fact.
Studionasu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It looks a little crappy to me so I won't support the Kickstarter but if the game turns out good I'll buy a copy.

Keep an eye on the Kickstarter as we continue to release new builds. Remember, that's only about 3 weeks of development without a real budget. =)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I believe this was already on demo at Otakon a month ago.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Have the Ocean group as unlockable characters and I'll buy it.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Can you extend the deadline? You might get more backers that way especially as you show the progress in your development
Shiggity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Given I attended Otakon and I saw and heard them announce this live, I've known about this for over a month. But that doesn't make it any less awesome. I recently got a PS Vita and if this were to make its way to the PS Store, I'd totally buy it. I got the Vita for gaming, so why not have an awesome Otakon game on it? xD

@StudioNasu can you give us an idea of any of the minibosses/bosses, or will that be left out for the element of surprise? I didn't get a chance to play the demo during the con (yes this very 3 week developed version was on demo at Otakon, to whomever said it a few posts back).

I'll buy this regardless (likely) but if you could somehow get some Japanese voice actors on board as well, I'd TOTALLY buy it. Smile

Keep up the great work! Smile
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
Studionasu wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Yes, if funding allows, we plan on getting a lot more VAs into the game. Rikki Simons and J Michael Tatum are on the list, in fact.

Yeah, yeah, those guys would be cool to hear in the game... But what about the Ice Cold Water Man?!

Anyway, this idea sounds so silly yet pretty awesome at the same time. I'll hold off on backing it for now, but I might help out a little later on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2