• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Terminator 4 Director McG: I Love Sailor Moon, Akihabara

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
I can see the influence. No wonder one of the Resistance's A-10s had a bishoujo pilot.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Is this really news? A very bad director who has trashed several once-decent film/TV franchises likes anime?

Are your people too busy uploading streaming trailers & excerpts to look for real news?

I'm the guy who bought the entire back issue archive of Protoculture because of its superb reviewing & excellent insights into anime & Japanese alternative & mainstream culture.

Don't subscribe to it now.

Just my rant - the UK Sunday papers have disappointed me also today - cheap sensationalist journalism with minimal research & total disregard for any actual facts or real opinions based on hard labour.

Nico M
London UK Twisted Evil
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
You know... if you think about what he says it's quite funny, he is obvoually pandering to the people there saying how he loves Sailor Moon and Akihabara: He choose an anime that known thoguh out the US... and when he said he liked Akihabara reminded me of when Spinal Tap appeared on the Simpsons. "Oh yes, I love Japan... I espccilly love (looks at hand, Akihabara is written on it) Akihabara."
pat_payne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Cool article, except that "Deculture" doesn't mean what y'all think it means. In DYRL, the word seemed to carry a meaning of "unthinkable" or "ridiculous" or "idiotic." Every time the word was spoken, the Japanese subtitles glossed the word as "bakabanashii" or "ridiculous."
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
You know... if you think about what he says it's quite funny, he is obvoually pandering to the people there saying how he loves Sailor Moon and Akihabara: He choose an anime that known thoguh out the US... and when he said he liked Akihabara reminded me of when Spinal Tap appeared on the Simpsons. "Oh yes, I love Japan... I espccilly love (looks at hand, Akihabara is written on it) Akihabara."

Nice post Emma Iveli - depressingly funny - ANN reported this as straight news - also depressing. Pandering is an unlovely word but quite exact here - ANN is pandering by treating this as news. Why do I bother Very Happy
Wetall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

Nice post Emma Iveli - depressingly funny - ANN reported this as straight news - also depressing. Pandering is an unlovely word but quite exact here - ANN is pandering by treating this as news. Why do I bother Very Happy

Maybe it's just doing its job as a news network?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've seen the Not-So-Daily Links of the Day articles to be on the sillier side...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Is this really news? A very bad director who has trashed several once-decent film/TV franchises likes anime?

Actually, Terminator Salvation was awesome. My opinion is completely objective.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
nicomorr wrote:

Actually, Terminator Salvation was awesome. My opinion is completely objective.

My point precisely Twisted Evil
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Salvation was the worst movie I've watched in a theatre this year, and I've seen DBE twice.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Salvation was the worst movie I've watched in a theatre this year, and I've seen DBE twice.

I pray you are trolling, yet in my heart I fear it isn't so.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Charlie's Angels was, quite honestly, my favourite film of 2000 for being so over the top fluffy fun, and Sailor Moon is still one of my favourite 90's anime series, so McG gets the thumbs up from me.

Terminator Salvation was pretty decent as a "companion piece", since nothing will ever top the two James Cameron films, though I still prefer Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles as a more satisfying follow-up to the Cameron movies, even if it doesn't have the effects budget of the new movie (obviously).

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
Cool article, except that "Deculture" doesn't mean what y'all think it means. In DYRL, the word seemed to carry a meaning of "unthinkable" or "ridiculous" or "idiotic." Every time the word was spoken, the Japanese subtitles glossed the word as "bakabanashii" or "ridiculous."

In The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? film, several Japanese translations were used for "deculture." They include "kimyō na" (strange), "osoroshii" (terrible), "osorubeki" (dreadful), "baka na" (unbelievable), "nan da"/"nan de"/"nante"/"nan to iu" (what the—), and "Waa—". Actually, they don't use "bakabanashii." Later Macross projects expanded the definition of "deculture" even more with both positive and negative connotations.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
That's great. Now someone needs to do a Sailor Moon AMV with that Christian Bale dance mix. Laughing

Tenchi: Charlie's Angels was fun for me, too, but the sequel was unnecessary.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
the UK Sunday papers have disappointed me also today - cheap sensationalist journalism with minimal research & total disregard for any actual facts or real opinions based on hard labour
The sky is also blue. Expecting anything factual at all in UK tabloids is going to be a disappointment any day of the week.

'Deculture' is the Zantraedi equivalent of 'f-ck' (seriously, a word filter?): an all purpose expletive whose exact meaning changes on context.

Salvation wasn't too bad as an action movie, but I'm biased in any movie that involves 'robots take over the world' as a premise, as generally the machines are so hideously incompetent that it's laughable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3