• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Abenobashi to air on G4: TV for Gamers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It's a funny show, but a lot of what makes it funny also makes it inappropriate for young viewers. So unless G4 runs late at night (and I admit I know nothing about it), they'll probably have to cut that one to pieces to make it work
Tondog38

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Haha, now they are changing the name of G4TechTV back to G4? Gosh, I knew that G4 buying TechTV would be terrible. First G4 buys the network and keeps crappy shows, then they basically get rid of most TechTV shows, then they totally change The Screen Savers, and now they are just going back to the G4 name. No wonder!! Because G4TechTV is now basically G4 the way it was before the acquisition.

I really wish TechTV didn't get anime a few years back because it opened up the floodgates for other non-technology shows to make it onto the network. How I long for the days of ZDTV. Sad

But anyways, now that I got that whole anti-G4 rant off my chest, I'll say that I might check out an episode or two of the show to see if it's any good.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
It will be airing at 1:00AM EST.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Funny how the network's shift completely to its despicably crappier side (G4) and the fact that all but one of the new anime they've acquired since the "merger" have sucked actually kinda coincides. TechTV gave us high holy gems like Boogiepop, Lain, Last EXILE, & the Sekai series...while G4's just dropped garbage like Gungrave & Abenobashi at our feet. I dread what kind of crap they'll dredge up next, because it seems ROD: The TV was a total fluke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Funny how the network's shift completely to its despicably crappier side (G4) and the fact that all but one of the new anime they've acquired since the "merger" have sucked actually kinda coincides. TechTV gave us high holy gems like Boogiepop, Lain, Last EXILE, & the Sekai series...while G4's just dropped garbage like Gungrave & Abenobashi at our feet. I dread what kind of crap they'll dredge up next, because it seems ROD: The TV was a total fluke.

I wouldn't say G4Tech...er, I mean G4 picked up crappy shows because their tastes suck. "ROD TV", "Gungrave", and "Gad Gard" were Geneon's three biggest properties to be released at that time. It was their "Holy Trinity", kinda like back when ADV released "Noir", "Full Metal Panic!", and "RahXephon" simultaneously. So naturally they would all end up together on G4, since Geneon considers G4 the "best place" to air their properties.

The licensing of "Abenobashi", however, is up for debate. Wink
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Gungrave is good, but it seems to be like EVA and you eather love it or hate it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
I wouldn't say G4Tech...er, I mean G4 picked up crappy shows because their tastes suck.

I wasn't saying it's because they have bad taste (I mean...they do, but...). All I was saying was that it's an interesting coincidence that TechTV gave us more good than bad, while G4's just brought on crap, crap, & more crap. Laughing

Advent_Nebula wrote:
Gungrave is good, but it seems to be like EVA and you eather love it or hate it.

I'd actually say that Gungrave, incidentally, is quite similar to Abenobashi. They both show some interesting potential in the beginning (a lot of potential, actually), only to have it dashed by bad writing later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
It will be airing at 1:00AM EST.

Ah. Very few edits then except toning down ADV's dub profanities then
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
Diddn't you know that G4 aired Anime?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Diddn't you know that G4 aired Anime?

Who exactly is this addressed to?
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
its a good show i liked it
its short
intresting and funny
i don't know why someone wouldn't like it
it doesn't try to be anything but pure comedy and has a nice plot(its not flcl or anything that deep, but its nice)
but its strange
this is the first time they've showed something that was on another network(that i know of in terms on anime)
i knew this would start happening and i don't like it much
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:59 am Reply with quote
Blues of Hadal wrote:
i don't know why someone wouldn't like it

Right here.

Blues of Hadal wrote:
it doesn't try to be anything but pure comedy and has a nice plot(its not flcl or anything that deep, but its nice)

Actually, it hinted very strongly at a much deeper and much more interesting plot than just "random comedy." It even dedicated a couple episodes in the middle solely to this plot with barely any comedy to speak of. But unfortunately, instead of adequately exploring this potentially great story, they jerk the show right back into its usual "o hay munemune tits" routine right as things are starting to get good.

Blues of Hadal wrote:
this is the first time they've showed something that was on another network(that i know of in terms on anime)

Boogiepop Phantom ran simultaneously on TechTV & ADV's Anime Network.

Blues of Hadal wrote:
i knew this would start happening and i don't like it much

Don't like what exactly? You kinda lost me there.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I think he maybe talking about what has happened to TTV.
Jkid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't support G4 picking up MSAA, becuase they're going to cut it into too many commercial breaks. And I got word that most cable companies (except for Comcast) will drop G4 once it changes it's name.

Personally, G4 promised to keep most of TTV's programing, but when they merged, they rescheduled most of the TTV programing during the weekends so they can die out.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
Personally, G4 promised to keep most of TTV's programing, but when they merged, they rescheduled most of the TTV programing during the weekends so they can die out.

Hence the reason I use "merger" in quotes. The thing I find funny though, is that when the whole deal was first announced, Comcast basically acknowledged that G4 sucked and that they were "merging" with TechTV as a means of using their strengths as a crutch to boost the network. However, as soon as things settled down, they started chipping away everything that was TechTV (either dropping shows or—like The Screen Savers—eliminating all trace of TechTV and keeping the name only), and keeping the parts that made G4 suck in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3