• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Sony PSP Manga Distribution Service Detailed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
This sounds like an intriguing new marketing method. One I hadn't thought of before. I'm looking forward to hearing how successful it becomes and whether it spreads to other countries.

I was surprised to see Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru on the list of titles. I assume it's included as a cross-promotion to the upcoming anime. If not, then Uragiri must be a more successful title than I had realized. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. If it continues to grow in popularity, then maybe it'll finally get a US license.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
One of the first things people started using the PSP for other than games when it came out was reading scanlations. This is just Sony finally capitalizing on that.

The service was already announced in the U.S. at E3 back in May (I think), but mostly only American comics were showcased for it with no word on Manga. I suspect some of these guys that have American divisions will bring over some of the already-licensed stuff.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
One of the first things people started using the PSP for other than games when it came out was reading scanlations. This is just Sony finally capitalizing on that.

Made me think back to this video that came out about 4 years ago...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIpsuDkKks

Quote:
The service was already announced in the U.S. at E3 back in May (I think), but mostly only American comics were showcased for it with no word on Manga. I suspect some of these guys that have American divisions will bring over some of the already-licensed stuff.

Obviously (don't expect Doraemon anytime soon folks).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
At first glance I thought the headline said it was canceled. Man, I must be set to doom and gloom mode.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading this on Kotaku.

RedSwirl wrote:

yeah, I remember that, Kotaku mention about that also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
This will help the Japanese possibly. However, since many Americans d scanlations, it would help if they did this to America at the same time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Is that Japanese PSPs as in "PSPs from Japan" or "PSPs in Japan"? I have the former, but obviously not the latter. Back around when I originally got mine (before the big crack down on exporting them) there was a service where you could download TV episodes, including anime, but to download even the free episodes you had to sign up with a Japanese credit card.
I suppose the question should be: will anyone with a Japanese PSN account and credit (which can be applied using a topup card) be able to access these or will it be region locked like the video service?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1