• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sora no Otoshimono/Heaven's Lost Property (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
auroragb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to find a lively discussion of Sora no Otoshimono here. But I couldn't find a thread on it here outside of the dead news threads.

ANN encyclopedia wiki

The plot revolves around a boy in the town of Soramani named Tomoki Sakurai who is one day invited by his childhood friend Sohara Mitsuki and Eishirō Sugata (the leader of "The New World" club) to come at midnight to witness a strange object seen crossing through their town's sky. Tomoki goes alone and as the strange object comes close, Sugata calls to warn him to get away from it. What falls from the sky is a creature called an Angeloid who goes by the name Icarus.

I guess the series claim to infamy and probably what made me curious about it was the blog coverage of its famous flying panty scene.

Anyone else following? What did you think?

[EDIT: Adjusted thread name to reflect official English series name. - Key]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
I have been following the show and love it. spoiler[The panty-raiding bird thing in episode 2 was one of the funniest ecchi moments I've seen in an anime].

Though I do occasionally favor the protagonist girl being the one the lead guy picks, the childhood friend that beats him up a lot is growing on me. As with most harems, the lead guy is a perv/jerk/loser/social outcast/emo/down on his luck guy. Episode 3 was really interesting in Ikaros understanding more about human behavior.

The whole concept of a new world/parallel universes concept not only confuses me (as does other sci-fi) but also interests me since I watched Star Trek for years.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Don't expect it to get much love on this forum, but it's one of my favorites of the new shows so far. The flock of panties was one of the funniest laughs I've gotten from anime.

Actually, though, episode 3 dropped the fanservice angle almost entirely to focus on dramatic, possibly even melodramatic plotline. Still some of the best art this season, and well worth watching in comparison to most of the other shows in the otaku vein.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all three eppies so far and although I'll probably stick it out to the end, this series is not really doing it for me. It, along with Seitokai no Ichizon, are my two least favourite of the new fall season. I did enjoy the flock of panties, of course, but otherwise this series is just seeming too by the book. The male lead is even less engaging than the already low standards set by these kinds of shows. The angelroid herself is blah, personality-wise. The childhood friend with the karate chop...snore. The most interesting character, so far, is the bizarre senpai.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Different strokes is all. There's not much to compare with this season, and the differences amongst a bunch of average series usually comes down to personal taste. I'm hoping the story goes somewhere from the dream-angel connection, but I'm also hoping for more flocks of pantsu moments Wink. The change in tone from episode 2 to 3 was almost too drastic for me, and I was enjoying the unintentional consequences of the wishes.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
This is an enjoyable series for ecchi fans that can stand a lot of T&A. I am enjoying so much that I wish CrunchyRoll would air that final 13th episode that was deemed "too extreme" for TV. The 13th is supposed to go on DVD. Like flying panties is not extreme?
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Different strokes is all. There's not much to compare with this season, and the differences amongst a bunch of average series usually comes down to personal taste. I'm hoping the story goes somewhere from the dream-angel connection, but I'm also hoping for more flocks of pantsu moments ;). The change in tone from episode 2 to 3 was almost too drastic for me, and I was enjoying the unintentional consequences of the wishes.

It's actually pretty good at combining the lol moments with some of the more heavier stuff. For me personally the funniest manga chapter happens right after the heaviest manga chapter.. and in addition to being funny it actually continued on some points from the previous chapter.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It's actually pretty good at combining the lol moments with some of the more heavier stuff.

I did read up a bit after that last post, and now I'm even more hopeful about this series. I can smell melodrama a mile away, and my fear became that the comedy was just a teaser to get me hooked and then leave me in despair. But knowing the manga doesn't drop it entirely, and sometimes tops even what we've seen so far, makes me anxious to see this show done well.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even notice there was a different ending each time until episode 3 or 4... But it's a pretty interesting touch. The migrating panties ending is probably my favourite, but the princess of the sea one was quite fun too...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Well my brother was going to skip the ending song of the second ep, but I stopped him when I noticed flying panties. It sure is intersting, I like that wacky part of the show more then other, that is when it doesn't take itself serously. Though when it takes it self to serously and reject logic it is also quite good, panty bombs anyone.

Though I also saw it coming I quite liked the part where living with the sempai was shown too dangerous, the bears made me laugh.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Though I generally prefer pairings of anime to be male protagonist and female protagonist, this case I am leaning more towards Tomoko getting Sohara because of the last episode. Also, because they are childhood friends and there seems to be evidence he wants her and not Ikaros.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
Just picked this one up on a whim and I'm finding it fairly enjoyable.

The flying pantie scenes are the absolute best! I haven't laughed that hard in a good long while. Also, "Pretty" and "Pretty Two" also amuse me. Anime smile Plenty of comedy to keep me interested. Although, I don't care for any of the music. Hopefully, it won't get too dark as it progresses as I'm using this for a lighter contrast to some other stuff I'm watching.

The main male character's chibi moments are borderline excessive, in my opinion. I had already grown tired of them by the end of the third episode. At the same time, it's not enough to make me drop the series. Not sure why it's bothering me so much as chibi doesn't normally irk me. The lead's voice actor is also, for some reason, super annoying in this series. He was great in other stuff but this time he's just not doing it for me.

I would definitely like to see him end up with the childhood friend instead of Ikaros. Although, I wouldn't mind him pairing with the prez either. She's just odd enough to be interesting without being off-putting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
The main male character's chibi moments are borderline excessive, in my opinion. I had already grown tired of them by the end of the third episode ... Not sure why it's bothering me so much as chibi doesn't normally irk me. The lead's voice actor is also, for some reason, super annoying in this series ... I would definitely like to see him end up with the childhood friend instead of Ikaros. Although, I wouldn't mind him pairing with the prez either. She's just odd enough to be interesting without being off-putting.

I agree with all the above, except I would drop the qualifier "borderline" before excessive. I, too, normally have no problem with chibi technique but this seems to be one show were the lead's chibi moments far outnumber his "natural" state.

For along time this show, along with Seitokai no Ichizon, was "on the cusp" for me in terms of whether to drop them or not. I ultimately stuck with both, but they are definitely bottom of the barrel material for me with respect to fall shows. The introduction of Nymph spiced things up for me (re: my brat love) and at least we have a better understanding now why Ikaros is such a vapid, uninteresting character. Definitely the pantsu flock will always occupy a special chamber of my heart...
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Hopefully, it won't get too dark as it progresses as I'm using this for a lighter contrast to some other stuff I'm watching.

Well, it looks like that's exactly where it's heading.
Quote:
I would definitely like to see him end up with the childhood friend instead of Ikaros. Although, I wouldn't mind him pairing with the prez either. She's just odd enough to be interesting without being off-putting.

That's probably what's going to happen. Right now, all my money is on a "dark" ending. And according to that ending, Ikaros should die or simply disappear from the protagonist's life; if not, I'll be disappointed.

But I think all your complaints should be gone once you see episode 8, where the plot finally moves.

Still hoping for a "School Days" ending.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Just finished ep 8 this evening.

While I had mentioned that I didn't want the series to get that "serious" tone going, it's not too bad thus far. I kinda figured that the spoiler[Nyph one was there to monitor or retrieve (as I am reminded of many other titles with similar character motives)] but I didn't expect spoiler[her to have her own master (although I should have known that she would judging by the chains - massive stupidity on my part) or for her to back off as easily as she did] Which leads me to believe that Ikaros must certainly be powerful. It's also a nice touch that spoiler[Ikaros could remove her own "protection" on her memories, etc.]. Usually, someone else would have done it completely and someone else would have put them there. So far, it just seems like spoiler[she wants the same thing as what's-his-face: peace and quiet.]

I'm sure I'm close to that love triangle moment, but, for now, I'm pretty content with the way things are. Of course, I want a resolution, but this is pretty entertaining as it is.

I'm surprised. I definitely did not expect this much out of it. Not the best ecchi series I've ever seen, but not terrible so far either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3