• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonaut: The Resonance DVD part 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, this sounds about as awful as I expected it to. Anime hyper
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Well, this sounds about as awful as I expected it to. Anime hyper

Actually, a "C" for a show that everyone supposedly hates doesn't sound that bad.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

Actually, a "C" for a show that everyone supposedly hates doesn't sound that bad.
Probably because the seriously cruddy stuff doesn't come till later
Quote:
Except that this is not good fan service
Thank you! I mean, at least if it was good fanservice, I could say that they were trying to do something.

So how does a dub that's solid and has no real flaws still score a C?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It means even with a rather good dub, the show is only mediocre.

The grade isn't just for the dub, but rather the "overall" experience of the show when watching the dub.

I think Zac explained that not too long ago.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
So the first half of the show receives a D+ for probably the most important aspect. I'm betting you just can't wait for the the second half, where it gets even worse. Again, the statement on the final episode by the fansubbers comes to mind.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Probably because the seriously cruddy stuff doesn't come till later

yep take it from someone who suffered though the series because this person actually likes the character design and does not find garnet's bust oversized but this series basically start off barely decent and starts a steep descent into turd around the 7th or so episode. To make matters worse the fanservice, which funi's been to adamant on marketing"real dragons have curves", actually LESSENS as the series goes on giving less of a reason to watch. All in all I'd call dragonauts a turd sandwich: great character design(IMO), good music, and great voice acting wrapping a shitty story, terrible cg, and god awfully dialogue.

Either way the series, quite frankly, has been bashed enough and I'm forward to seeing those hammers being picked up again
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Bust-size explaination:spoiler[ It has to do with what happens when someone resonates with a dragon egg: the dragon takes on characteristics that appear to be taken from the mind of the person with whom they resonate. This is why loli-girl has an old guy (in human form) as her dragon, and in general explains why each of the human forms of the dragons look the way they do, INCLUDING Garnet.]

So, there *is* a legitimate reason for it, but I still find Garnet's bust-size to be rather excessive and (unpleasantly) distracting.

Oh, and while I'm at it: I thought this was an okay show. I wouldn't buy the series and probably will never see it again, but it wasn't *horrible*. There were moments between the Jin and Toa that were really touching, IMO. In short: if you have some spare time and can watch it for free, then it's not a complete waste of time to see it.

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo...why do you burn me so?? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ....Seriously though I don't understand how a show like this actually got licensed, when there are infinitely better shows out ther. I guess I know the anwser to that.....I guess fan service (boobs)=sales?? Is that how it works? It's a clusterf**k of epic proportions.

Oh well, at least theirs Linebarrels of Iron to look for.

Oh wait... Wink
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Gonzo...why do you burn me so?? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ....Seriously though I don't understand how a show like this actually got licensed, when there are infinitely better shows out ther. I guess I know the anwser to that.....I guess fan service (boobs)=sales?? Is that how it works? It's a clusterf**k of epic proportions.

I'll tell you why--it's because FUNI and Gonzo are in bed together. Which, so long as FUNI only paid turd sandwich prices for it, I could care less about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Bust-size explaination:spoiler[ It has to do with what happens when someone resonates with a dragon egg: the dragon takes on characteristics that appear to be taken from the mind of the person with whom they resonate. This is why loli-girl has an old guy (in human form) as her dragon, and in general explains why each of the human forms of the dragons look the way they do, INCLUDING Garnet.]

So, there *is* a legitimate reason for it, but I still find Garnet's bust-size to be rather excessive and (unpleasantly) distracting.

That explains why the dragons have massive busts, but not the humans. Also, it's more of an excuse to have enormous breasts than a justification. Would anything be lost if they were a more reasonable size? A lot of criticism.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Oh well, at least theirs Linebarrels of Iron to look for.

Oh wait... Wink

So Linebarrels is another Gonzo fail also then? I haven't heard anything about Linebarrels, but became suspicious of it being pure unthoughtful cheesecake when Funimation did this pre-order deal. Embarassed
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:

So Linebarrels is another Gonzo fail also then? I haven't heard anything about Linebarrels, but became suspicious of it being pure unthoughtful cheesecake when Funimation did this pre-order deal. Embarassed

Not in the same boat as Dragonaut, but pretty mediocre compared to Gonzo's good stuff.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

That explains why the dragons have massive busts, but not the humans. Also, it's more of an excuse to have enormous breasts than a justification. Would anything be lost if they were a more reasonable size? A lot of criticism.

spoiler[That's because Garnet is a dragon.]

I'm not saying that the reason I gave isn't an excuse for the anime designers to create enormous breasts, only that there exists a plausible reason within the context of the show for certain characters to have enormous breasts. I'm really not a fan of ridiculously large breasts.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

well not really (human), also all the women who work under Garnett

Quite frankly I don't think a show has to explain why a character bust size is big or small in the same way they have they have to explain why their hair is red or green, it's all merely aesthetics. I suppose though if you want a "reason" per say, the character designer in the series just like big breasts, after all you've probably seen his works in Gravion, witchblade, love hina, and even Stellvia of all things. The funny part is that as far as breasts size goes he's actually toned in terms of breasts goes. You think garnets bad? How about if those breasts dropped to her knees?

Anyway it doesn't really matter since the fanservice drops after the 7st episodes, we don't even get a good hot spring episode. Which is a shame because dragonaut is one of those rare cases(well...Wink ) where more fanservice could've been helpful
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
To be honest: I found Dragonaut to be one of those "100% average" series.

It doesn't have anything that makes it "new" but doesn't really do anything bad either.

"D+" is definately NOT an acceptable grade.

Yes the fan-service is not really good, but I don't know if you are associating that element with the story, because it shouldn't apply.

I found the romance elements to be quite solid; with Jin feeling so depressed, and finding someone, anyone taking a real and honest interest in him and his well-being to be relieving.

Sure the designs are outrageous, but Godannar was tolerable, so Dragonaut's a walk in the park compared to that!!

The CG wasn't the best either, but I found the animation to have better merits than "B-"

To me, the best parts of the show are it's pacing, the characters, and the general direction.

I already said that it was an "average" anime. I probably won't buy it, but just the same. It deserves as much credit as Kaze no Stigma, or an equally fun show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4