• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Stream to end scanlation of Viz Titles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yup Manga stream will not post scanlatations of

- Naruto
- Bleach
- One Piece
- Hunter x Hunter
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn
- Claymore
- D.Gray-man
Here is there post related to it http://mangastream.com/content/jump

Will other sites follow suit? We shall see
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It'd be more professional in the future to quote any necessary information from the source of the news you're breaking -- just some advice.

In a statement:

Quote:
VIZ Media Licensed Series Dropped

February 11th, 2012

Dear MangaStream supporter,

It's with a heavy heart that I make the following announcement. MangaStream will no longer be releasing the following series:

- Naruto
- Bleach
- One Piece
- Hunter x Hunter
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn
- Claymore
- D.Gray-man

VIZ Media has demanded that we end our scanlation work for all of the above. This comes despite our best efforts to pursuade fans into supporting official distributors by being the only group to actively prevent an archive from forming on their website through the removal of chapters that are older than a couple weeks. They've succeeded in little more than invoking inconvenience to the community as their digital magazine missed the mark; it runs several issues behind and only features 3 of the above series. So long as their product continues to be slow, awkward and inferior to something a ragtag group of nobodies can churn out in a few hours - fans will continue to look to scanlation groups and aggregators for their weekly fix.

The aggressive and escalating nature of their threats have forced our hand into removing the content. MangaStream will no longer be posting full scanlations for any of the aforementioned series, we will instead focus our efforts onto the series we do that are not licensed by VIZ Media (you can assume everything currently on our directory will be continued).

Our final message to our loyal JUMP audience will be this:

Thank you for supporting us over the past two years and making Mangastream your home away from home. It was a pleasure sharing our time with fans who were just as passionate and dedicated as we were.

Although MangaStream will no longer be hosting any of the Jump series, if it's something our fanbase is interested in, we're considering leveraging our connections to bring you accurate spoiler summaries for the Jump chapters as early as possible. We know this isn't much, but hope it can whet your appetite until the dozens of aggregators release the official Jump chapters on Wednesday.

-MangaStream.com

As a result, there has been an outpouring of emotional and outrageous posts to the FaceBook pages of each MangaStream and Viz Media.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Cool, I got you

Yeah I saw of those reactions and frankly a lot of them are ignorant. Quite a shame
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
i mean i get why people are upset, if there was a better alternative there would be less people upset. fact that viz doesn't even publish all the of the manga's they shut down is what's gonna really make people angry.

i mean as manga stream put it, a bunch of nobodies are able to translate the later chapter and get them out the same week so why can't we get this done through official channels in the same way the crunchyroll has been doing with anime for the last couple of years.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
i mean i get why people are upset, if there was a better alternative there would be less people upset. fact that viz doesn't even publish all the of the manga's they shut down is what's gonna really make people angry.

i mean as manga stream put it, a bunch of nobodies are able to translate the later chapter and get them out the same week so why can't we get this done through official channels in the same way the crunchyroll has been doing with anime for the last couple of years.

1- Viz has licenses for all the titles listed and has released print & digital editions for them (Their edition of Teborn is on hiatus, but everythingelse is up to date. They even sped up digital eds and pront solicitations of some if these because....)

2- Shonen Jump Aplha just launched, less than a dollar a week, near simultaneous digital release.

2- Shonen Jump Al
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm, it certainly seems that the individual that wrote the statement was relatively bitter. It might have looked a bit better on Manga Stream's behalf if they did not speak quite as harshly as they did. It seemed a bit out of place to criticize Viz Media's own digital distribution platform in such a release.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
fact that viz doesn't even publish all the of the manga's they shut down is what's gonna really make people angry.

The only ones they had any right to and did order a cease and desist on are ones that only they have license to in North America and do publish. MangaStream will still continue Fairy Tale, Hajime no Ippo, and Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean, as well as possibly in the future, Shaman King: Flowers (Shaman King is licensed by Viz Media in NA, however this is not, nor do they have any rights to the Flowers-precursing one-shot's of Shaman King: Zero, I believe.), when it begins serialization soon.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
well one alpha is a couple chapters behind japan so guess I'll check it out in a few weeks and two it doesn't do any good for those of us who read reborn.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
1- Viz has licenses for all the titles listed and has released print & digital editions for them (Their edition of Teborn is on hiatus, but everythingelse is up to date. They even sped up digital eds and pront solicitations of some if these because....)

2- Shonen Jump Aplha just launched, less than a dollar a week, near simultaneous digital release.

2- Shonen Jump Al

There is one thing about Shonen Jump Alpha that might be literally preventing me from being able to purchase it. I have absolutely no problem with the cost of the subscription and I have no problem waiting a couple of weeks after the chapters are released in Japan. What's holding me back are the ways I would need to subscribe to it. From what I can understand, you would need to purchase either with paypal or with Amazon. I'll be frank, I'm not that familiar with how either of these things work. From what little I understand after looking it up, paypal is like the online way of sending a check or money order, right? Would that at all require a debit/credit card or is there a different way I have to do it? And I'm still not sure how Amazon works? Do you need to have an Amazon account or something?

My biggest concern about this is if paying either would be anywhere near as convinient as pre-teens and teens who may have bought the printed version of Shonen Jump magazine every month from a newsstand/bookstore using their pocket money? I understand cost-wise, it's very convinient. It's just the method of payment that I'm not sure about.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
Other sites will pick them up instead, and SJAlpha is only available to those who live in the US (or is it North America.) Either way my point still stands, so I think MangaStream's criticisms are somewhat valid. If SJAlpha was available in the UK, I would buy it and support Bakuman, but that option is not available to me, ergo I read scans and buy the volumes as they come out. You can import a book, but not a region restricted digital copy. I do think calling Viz's products inferior is a little harsh, (other than for Reborn) but that's probably just them being bitter.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon, if you were curious about how Paypal works and how you could set it up, it really isn't that hard. If you wanted, I could help you if you were trying to subscribe to Shonen Jump Alpha, but if you were just commenting, I'm sorry for getting carried away.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Hypeathon, if you were curious about how Paypal works and how you could set it up, it really isn't that hard. If you wanted, I could help you if you were trying to subscribe to Shonen Jump Alpha, but if you were just commenting, I'm sorry for getting carried away.

How were you getting carried away? Anyway, I do want to subscribe to it. I'm just not sure if I myself could somehow pay for it with either paypal or Amazon. But any help would certainly be appreciated.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
Would you rather I PMed you about this? I mean if you need any specific directions. If you have a debit or credit card, or perhaps even a regular bank account, signing up for Paypal shouldn't be too hard. You can have it linked to the 'funding source' and it draws money from it. That arguably makes Paypal a safer way to pay for things, since you don't have to input credit card data each time you order something. Believe me, Paypal's marketing just loves to mention that fact :'P
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Would you rather I PMed you about this?

PM-away man.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
Done!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5