• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: To Love-Ru's Yabuki Confirmed for Mayoi Neko Overrun

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Yabuki has gone from semi-interesting action packed series such as Black Cat to Romantic Harem comedies... I'm really not sure what to make out of all this. Question

Last edited by The Mad Manga Massacre on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Yabiki has gone from semi-interesting action packed series such as Black Cat to Romantic Harem comedies... I'm really not sure what to make out of all this. Question

He's only got the art credit; the person with the story credit for to love-ru has only a few credits, and they all seem to be writer-credits for fairly soulless extruded-animation-product adaptions.

So to-love-ru looks like it's a contract job, a potboiler, and this one looks the same. Nothing wrong with that, and if someone can deliver work reliably and to spec then it's a decent living... but it takes time away from writing your own stuff, so if you liked Black Cat for the story you're probably in for some disappointment.

[of course, the degree to which shounen manga writers are writing their own story is questionable at the best of times anyway...]
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
well, I'll still wind up checking it out because I like his art style and I doubt it can reach the level of banality and triteness To-LOVE-Ru had so I may actually get some enjoyment out of this one, but I really was hoping for that Black Cat sequel/spinoff he mentioned wanting to do eventually.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Yabuki has gone from semi-interesting action packed series such as Black Cat to Romantic Harem comedies... I'm really not sure what to make out of all this. Question

He's caving to the moe-blob trend that's destroying anime! At least some people here would say.

Or maybe he's just drawing what he wants to....

(Hint: it's the latter.)
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he just got fed up with the demand for a weekly series?

I mean drawing a story is one thing, writing is a whole other ball park.

It could be he rather do the drawing side for a few more projects before doing something else?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1