• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nodame Cantabile: Finale (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile: Finale.

WHO'S EXCITED?

I can't remember anticipating a show this much since the Spice and Wolf sequel aired. Only eleven more episodes of my lovely Nodame and Chiaki? And that's it?

The first episode airs tomorrow (unless it gets pushed back like last season, but at this stage in the game it's doubtful). I hope the episodes get subbed fairly quickly; I'm usually patient but I cannot wait wait wait. In preparing for this season I marathoned all of seasons one and two this weekend. My number one hope this season is, seeing as it's the finale, Nodame playing a concierto with Chiaki conducting (that's her wish, too).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll still commit to watching this series since I've completed reading the manga (knowing what will take place in this season) and seeing the first two seasons. The second season though was a mixed bag for me thanks mostly in part to the short 11 episode length of the series making pacing seem rushed and I complained of this enough in the forum a while back. If this is also the case for Finale, then I'll feel uneasy watching through rushed developments of what I seen in the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote
I thought the series was good, light-hearted fun, which together with classical music made it a very enjoyable watch. Looking forward to the last season.
Dolza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
I am excited for this as well. The characters and the music are excellent.
Pikari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
If there is one anime that I will be following this season, it will definitely be the Nodame Cantabile finale. I'm looking forward to the new live-action drama films that are coming out too.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
The second season though was a mixed bag for me thanks mostly in part to the short 11 episode length of the series making pacing seem rushed and I complained of this enough in the forum a while back.

I felt the same way and that was actually one of the reasons I picked up the original manga because I wanted to see what I'd missed since the pacing was obviously very awkward. Hopefully there won't be too much of that in the third season.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
So I saw the first episode and am pleased to say that it looks like this first arc will focus on Nodame and spoiler[her first concert.] Not that I don't love Chiaki but sometimes it's hard to get into his conducting because it's not an instrument and harder to relate to for me. On the other hand Nodame's playing is an absolute delight.

Also we got a spat already, with a little Nodame jealousy, and while it may seem unfair her anger's understandable considering how hard she's practicing.

Anyway one of my favorites it back, and I hope it has a smashing conclusion.
Megabyte117

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, thank you for this post. For some strange reason I thought that the new season was airing in February Confused

Just watched the first episode, and it seems more mature than the previous season. It's nice to have more of a focus on Nodame as well. Also appears like they're re-using several tracks from the Paris chapter soundtrack. Overall, looks to be one of the best things from the beginning 2010 anime season. (Although that's not saying much considering the rest of the line-up)
Pikari

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the first episode of the new season and it never fails to impress me how good the character development is in this series. I'm also pleased to see that it looks like there is going to be a little more emphasis on developing Nodame as a character since the last two seasons were mostly about Chiaki. The music selection is good as usual, the orchestra animation seems to have gotten a little better, and I'm liking the new opening and endings too. Can't wait to see how Nodame's first concert turns out.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, episode two was certainly enjoyable, but did it really have to be a Rui episode? With such a limited number of episodes I really don't want to deal with her angst and melodrama because I care so much more about Nodame and Chiaki (I especially don't care about Rui if she's Nodame's main rival). I want Nodame's concert, damn it. Fame and fortune!!
Facade19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Seems like there will be some Mahler in the next epsiode.
About some dang time. Very Happy
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Episodes 3 and 4

Ugh, Chiaki, that was a dick move. Really. Even your apology didn't make up for it.

I enjoyed episode 4 a lot, and I'm excited to see Nodame's concour. Tanya's character has really grown on me, much more than Rui's. At first she was annoying, but now we get to see her softer side and I think her crush on Kuroki is so cute, especially spoiler[that stolen kiss.] I'm also happy the focus has been turned away from Chiaki and to Nodame--we got way too much of his conducting last season.

This series also makes me so aware of what a different world they live in. They constantly travel, have a completely different set of university rules...and frankly, where do they get the money to live in Paris studying music, especially if they aren't wealthy? You'd think Tanya would have a job or something.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
After 4 episodes, Finale seems too similar to Paris for me: pacing seems rushed and less emphasis on music, more on romantic developments. The comedy from character quirks and chemistry continue hooking me to the series though it would have worked better with the two issues above being resolved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Latest episode really dropped the ball. Paris and now Finale focus way too much on side characters and romance. Romance focus isn't even well done... and side characters? I couldn't care less about that russian girl and her motivations. The series is about Nodame and Chiaki. They always stayed in focus of original series while original Nodame Cantabile also had a lot of interesting side characters who didn't get in the way.

This is what happens when you change series director (from Kenichi Kasai to Chiaki Kon (for Paris & Finale)).

Way to kill a great series.

I'll still watch it to the end of course, but man, I am disappointed... again.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Romance focus isn't even well done... and side characters? I couldn't care less about that russian girl and her motivations. The series is about Nodame and Chiaki.

Hmm. In some ways you do have a point. The characters in the first season of the series we learned about while they interacted with Chiaki and Nodame, didn't take focus entirely away from the central characters. But Tanya's character conflicts aren't connected in anyway to Nodame nor Chiaki which is hindering focus on the issues surrounding Nodame and Chiaki's relationship and individual developments.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind exploring side characters, but I wish the focus was back on the music. Sad

The first season really was great because every episode seemed to have at least one major performance. By major, I mean lasting more than two minutes, and the performance felt like an important event in the lives of the characters. This gave the series a really great quality that was supplemented by 1) Nodame x Chiaki romance, and 2) side character stories about what life was like at a music school.

The key issue for me is that the impact of the music is gone. Now it is about the side characters and the romance, but the music has faded into the background.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3