• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei/ Four and a half mat myth compendium/ The Tatami Galaxy

Trailer

In my not-so-humble opinion, the spring season is about to officially start with the airing of Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei on the 22nd of April (House of Five Leaves is just a warm-up, personally). It'll be streaming for the US and Canada on FUNi's Video Portal, Youtube and Hulu.

Nobutake (not Nobutaka) Ito will be returning as the Character Designer and Chief Animation Director for another one of Yuasa's works. Michiru Oshima will be doing the music. I'm not a fan of hers, but we'll have to see how it goes.

I've noticed that some people on this board are still not familiar with Yuasa, which is completely understandable since nothing that he's directed has been licensed in the US and his style isn't exactly appealing for a lot of people. You might have seen his work as an animator in Samurai Champloo ep. 9 (you should be able to tell when he actually starts and stops working in this clip), which is a solid indicator of the type of vision that employs in his own works.

In case anybody was wondering what Yuasa was doing before this show but after Kaiba, he was actually working on a French production with Michio Mihara and Eunyoung Choi. These two have also worked with Yuasa on his previous two TV anime series, so I'm expecting them to show up somewhere along the ride.

EPISODE INDEX (Clicking the links below will take you to the approximate post where we start discussing the content - story, characters, production, etc.)

Episode 1- Tennis Club Cupid
Episode 2- Movie Circle Misogi
Episode 3- Cycling Club Soleil
Episode 4- Disciples Wanted
Episode 5- Softball Club Honwaka
Episode 6- English Conversation Club Joe Engrish
Episode 7- Hero Show Association
Episode 8- Reading Circle Sea and Episode 9- Secret Institution Lucky Cat Restaurant
Episode 10- 4.5 Tatami Ideologue
Episode 11- End of the 4.5 Tatami Era

Last edited by braves on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:49 pm; edited 11 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I'm keeping an eye on this one, personally, but I'm hoping it won't turn out to be too outlandish, - I couldn't bring myself to enjoy Trapeze, for instance (though I may come back to it later). Too much of a good thing...
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Definitely something different, that's for sure. I'll check this one out, the only problem is I still have no clue what it's about. Oh well!
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm excited to see this one start as well. Based on Mind Game, I expect this to be surprisingly emotional.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching this episode and it did not disappoint. Yuasa's returned to a light-hearted narrative after focusing on building a serious plot in Kaiba. I have to say that I like him more when he's doing the former. He manages to not take things very seriously while at the same time saying something meaningful.

He's also returned to integrating live-action scenes along with 2-D/3-D stuff and it's nice to see that his creativity still remains unbounded.

Can't wait for the next episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this has the opposite problem of House of Five Leaves in which their scenario is very slow, this one is like Speed Racer talking with animation on the highest level of crack ever. Not like that's a problem for me as I have always been a fast reader but for those who aren't particularly keen on fast talking, I bet they can't wait for this to be dubbed.

-As for the episode itself, I really liked it. But then again, with all the positive aspects and well-known people behind this, it was almost a guarantee that I would like it (Director of Kaiba=Instant win). I admit that I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on though. I mean, this is beyond Angel Beats' first episode. This is like dropping you in the middle but like, not even the middle. It's "here's the premise. Deal with it. We're gonna talk fast."

-I honestly like all four of the main characters introduced so far, but Ozu and Akashi-san are my favorites. Ozu because he's so very a clearly evil little bastard and Akashi because she seems cool and can shoot lasers out of her eyes.

-Fireworks scene was hilarious. "That river is damn shallow!")

-AKFG doing OP is epic hell yes, win. It's a catchy beat too.
ED is trippy and also has a catchy beat.

I love Spring 2010 season!
Sovay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I just got through watching the first episode and I must say I really enjoyed it. I'm really intrigued to see where this show is going to go plot-wise. The quality and imagination of the animation was really incredible. The music was also pretty good, I particularly liked the opening.

My only gripe was that sometimes they spoke so quickly that it was tough to keep up with the subtitles and fully take in the animation; there were a few points when I had to choose which I'd rather look at more. I think this is the first time I've had that problem when watching anything subtitled. Maybe I'll watch it again since the visuals so wonderful.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Shinbo Akiyuki, eat your heart out! If I'm going to watch a manically-paced bizarre comedy in a strange style, I'll take Yuuasa Masaaki any day! Seriously, Arakawa Under the Bridge was somewhat amusing, but this I loved.

My favorite moments of the first episode:
spoiler["8 in 10 people would saw him in the dark would mistake him for a youkai, and and the remaining two could be convinced of it."

Shoplifter's book catching on fire under Akashi's gaze.

"Don't they have anything better to do?" (of gods matchmaking)

"How do my love life and you jumping have anything to do with each other?" "I'm not too sure myself."]

And for theories on what's to come:
spoiler[Since the next episode (according to the website) is "Movie Club," who wants to bet he's gonna get reincarnated over and over trying out different clubs until he finally gets the girl?]

I love the crazy animation of course, but the music is good too, especially the opening and ending sequences. With this and House of Five Leaves, thank god (of the Shimogamo shrine?) for Noitamina.

Meanwhile... Fujiwawa Keiji is everywhere this season! He has major roles in this, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Durarara!!, Rainbow... tell me if I've missed any.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I had to watch this episode twice because trying to read subtitles from a speed talking narrator while simultaneously watching hyperkinetic visuals was like a person diagnosed with ADD listening to a speech given by a chronic stutterer with hiccups at a Tourette's convention.

Aside from that, this show cemented my love for noitaminA (Consider me a convert). I loved the surrealistic/stylistic animation and character desgins. The humor was spot on, and the OP music by AFKG was awesome.

Favorite scene? spoiler[Moth freak-out.] Had my roommate staring at me while I choked on my lunch.

After that spoiler[rewind scene] at the end, now I can't wait for next Thursday.
animalcalls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Completely and totally awesome. Loved everything about it. No use talking about specifics because it was all great. Cannot wait for next week.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Amazing. Love every minute of it.

This is the first show to put my subtitle-reading to the test. whoa.

Need. on. blu. ray. now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
I don't like streaming anime, but Yuasa is someone I make an exception for. I loved it, but I could definitely wait for a DVD(or BluRay!) release with a dub. Those were some intensely fast subs...and the video quality was not good.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
O-kay. Experimental to say the least. Well, even if I prefer a more traditional approach to art, the characters are quite endearing (and more Maaya is always better). The ED also wasn't bad.

It seems that the series may deal with re-integrating the main character, an obvious outsider, into society (at least in a way)... I hope they make that process interesting, because so far, behind all the artistic exuberance, it's all pretty straightforward. Lonely teen seeks love, etc.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I hope they make that process interesting, because so far, behind all the artistic exuberance, it's all pretty straightforward. Lonely teen seeks love, etc.

Not to be too technical, but he's less lonely and more antisocial, and as someone who was a ronin before entering college, he's probably not a teen either. ;p
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The main point is that he wants to become part of society, thus he admits himself that he's lonely (am I wrong in presuming that a truly antisocial person would seek further isolation instead?). And besides, mentally, he's a teenager - either they don't grow up in college... or he at least didn't grow up, which might be one of the main themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7