• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Battle Royale Film to Get 3D Conversion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Sense. This makes none.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know BR was that big of a deal in Japan.
Man, I keep praying that this 3D thing will go away, but the chances of that are becoming slim. We're doomed to a life of wearing dorky glasses and having to put up with eye strain.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
So it wasn't enough to tear the franchise apart with that god awful second movie, the son now wants to tear down his father's hard work by converting the first movie to 3D?

Awful.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really on board with the 3D thing yet, but I do think a 3D version of Paprika would look pretty ridiculously awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
this is an old movie. why waste time for this one and instead focus on incoming movies that are soon to be screened?
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know that BR franchise was such a hit in Japan. I do wish that this 3D craze would go away.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
Conversion to 3D is the new colourisation!

And to me, that's just as bad and wrong.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard, converting movies to 3D that when they weren't originally filmed in that format (Clash of the Titans, anyone?) doesn't work so well. Thankfully it seems as if all of the more recently announced 3D titles are being filmed that way from the start.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:09 am Reply with quote
Piercing: Because 3D's a gimmick to cash in on the same old shit so Hollywood doesn't have to come up with anything new or original-or at least which takes some effort? Rolling Eyes
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:29 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
I didn't know BR was that big of a deal in Japan.
It was pretty much a blockbuster.
Quark wrote:
Man, I keep praying that this 3D thing will go away, but the chances of that are becoming slim.
It'll probably fade away faster than you think as people realize these conversions aren't the same experience as Avatar or even Beowulf. James Cameron in particular expressed dismay at 3D conversions as he felt people would think their inferior quality applied to 3D in general and not just films converted in post production.

The screen is pretty dark for a lot of Battle Royale, and (at least on my DVD) not filmed as cleanly as most Hollywood films. I doubt the film's conversion will turn out all that well.

I love the film, though. As for the sequel, I didn't make it past the arrival on the island.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
Sad to see such a great film get swept up in the 3-D nonsense. There's no way a stereoscopic conversion will add to the already great blend of action and drama. Worse, if done quickly like Clash, it'll most likely detract. Alice in Wonderland was converted, but was shot with 3D in mind and converted over the course of a year (i still saw it in 2D). Clash was 3 months after Avatar hit big. Though the real sad thing about it is even though a quickly converted film like Clash was acknowledged as being horrid, the 3-D version still made loads of cash, telling studios that they don't even have to do it right in order to succeed. It's the CGI film boom all over again. Only this time, they're ruining the theatres and upping the ticket prices at the same time. Rolling Eyes

I still don't get the deal either way. Most of the time, there's hardly any depth, and fast motion tends to blur (a chase scene in Up was pretty much obscured for example). Sure, some scenes in Avatar and Coraline were cool, but it's more of a headache than it's worth, and even Avatar showed the limitations it imposes (depth of field tends to ruin the effect, like when I looked at leaves floating "close to my face" that refused to focus, killing the illusion). People forget that all films are 3D to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Maybe, this time, Tatsuya Fujiwara will have the Death Note with him, so it'll be a much shorter contest.
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
We're doomed to a life of wearing dorky glasses...

They're not as dorky as they used to be. Now at least you're not wearing red cellophane over one eye and blue over the other anymore.

ZenErik wrote:
I'm not really on board with the 3D thing yet, but I do think a 3D version of Paprika would look pretty ridiculously awesome.

When that happens, kiss your sanity goodbye during or after viewing...and enjoy the ride And sign me up for that also while you're at it.
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Just great, how long before George Lucas jumps on the 3D train I wonder. -_-
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
One the one hand, it would seem cool to have a violent live-action movie converted into 3D. The other hand says why do it all when Japan could be spending this money to not only try to improve their entertainment industry overall, but also the health/education of the general population there?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2