• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Shermanator Salvation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Read some scary news via Zac's twitter account...Scary news about Bandai. Don't add Bandai to the graveyard fandom 0_o BUY their dvd's. Now off to listen to the ANNCast
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Just listened to the Hetalia debate. For what it's worth, its jokes get progressively more complex and less one-note as it continues.

The first episode is really...weird.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Just listened to the Hetalia debate. For what it's worth, its jokes get progressively more complex and less one-note as it continues.

I can see where Justin's coming from (and hope no one gets overly mad at him :) Most Hetalia fans I know get that it's a tacky joke), though it does seem like such an odd/strange idea, it'd be worth seeing.

edit--- also, lol, they are collecting the best anime/manga writers like Pokemon :)

Wow- getting to the bits about Eric- anime's so diluted, it's not worth dubbing anything. Interesting to hear John Sirabella worked in- he has called it a hobby industry over at AnimeonDVD a fair amount lately
theaustincritic

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Watched Hetalia a week ago. DAMN was that show horrible. The jokes were way to random and seemed to just be based on stereotypes. Others say that it does improve though... Should I give it another chance?
theaustincritic

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

It does? OK, I'll give it a few more episodes then...
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Hetalia definitely improves as it goes on, imo. [: The animation and the jokes both get a lot better. The first episode is just crazy, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Arion is a very good looking film, to be sure, but I found it a lot more interesting purely based on how it handled Greek mythology when compared to, for instance, the likes of Saint Seiya. For those who do care about that sort of thing, it should at least prove to be an interesting watch if not necessarily anything else. Given its relative obscurity though, I suppose it's never going to set the world on fire. Also...the subtitles I've seen were only slightly above terrible, which isn't a problem early on but towards the end things get rather messy.

No opinion on Hetalia. Haven't seen any of it yet and don't immediately plan to do so.

Skipping the rest of the podcast for now...I suppose the writing was already on the wall, given their constant delays and some questionable decisions probably coming out of Japan, but I hope Bandai Entertainment's release strategy improves significantly for those upcoming titles or else I couldn't possibly be optimistic about their chances. Fans should absolutely support the industry but the industry has to stop shooting itself in the foot.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, like Zac I too was a little perplexed at Justin's strong aversion to Hetalia. While it honestly doesn't bother me if others don't like a series I enjoy, it's the seemingly disproportionate reaction that made me go, "Eh?" and wonder if he's seeing the same show I've been watching for 50+ episodes. Oh well, there's no accounting for taste-- something he'd probably echo about us fans. Wink Fortunately though, I don't think this will stir up the same kind of sh**storm fan discussion that you get when you talk about certain other shows in the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joystick1101

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I assume since he only mentioned Haruhi, vampire knight and dokuro-chan that bangzoom isn't doing kekkaishi for viz? can't wait 4 dokuro dub Razz
lkmjr

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
About Hetalia: Yeah, not really much you can take away from those first few episodes, but trust me, it gets better. The author of the manga lives in New York and generally knows his stuff, which definitely helps. And yes, Hetalia fans actually do tend to try and learn world history, mostly because Hetalia just makes it that much more amusing. And actual history makes for great fanfiction.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Bandai is depending upon Haruhi S2's sales (and Haruhi-chan/Churuya-san)? This will not end well. Even Haruhi fans are mostly so opposed to E8 that I can't think that the sales will reach even half of the first season, and supposedly that didn't even perform as they had hoped (no source).

Also, I'm thankful that I wasn't the only one who thought the Zero no Tsukaima dub was awful. Hearing it brought up twice in the show just brought a smile to my face.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising about Bandai really.

The interview was interesting, but what was up with the music cutting in at the end there. I kind of wanted to hear what he said about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Not surprising about Bandai really.

The interview was interesting, but what was up with the music cutting in at the end there. I kind of wanted to hear what he said about that.

That was a weird audio snafu on my behalf; a corrected version has been uploaded and will proliferate around in about an hour, although you can hear the correct version right now by skipping to the end of the streaming file on the article page. Sorry about that.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Hrm, this news about Bandai isn't exactly shocking to me, they have been pretty much really limited in series selection, which can't help since sci-fi and giant robots aren't in anymore. Now, I just hope they finish Hayate and Gundam 00 before they bow out.

As for the rest of the discussion, I'm actually pretty tired of the whole "xxx will fix the industry" and "piracy is good/bad" talk. Both sides are absolutely firm in their stances, and no matter how much people talk about it, nothing will come of it. People are going to continue to focus on the hot button topics and only those, and having a well rounded look at how to fix the industry instead of laying all the blame on the industry or fansubbing. Hopefully things will sort themselves out, and if we only have Neo-ADV and Funi in the future.....maybe we have a chance.
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Since both actors have discussed the matter, there probably isn't anything wrong with saying who the 'original' actor in Eureka Seven was.

Yuri Lowenthal

He got cast after trying out with a specific voice, a producer from Japan 'in the room' had them change the voice he did to a voice that no one involved liked, and after 13 episodes when they were sent to Japan to get OKed, they didn't like the voice he used and 'requested' a new actor.

So yeah, they recast and rerecorded the main role 1/4th into the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10