• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Developer: 30% of Kodansha Manga Rejected by iTunes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Q

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
Interesting. We have many saying that manga and the like should expand to the digital realm (legally), and when it does what happens?

Issues of censorship, and the almighty DRM. Both equally unappealing.

If it's not one thing it's another. Laughing
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
Hataraki Man??? I liked seeing Hiroko get a massage in the anime, too, but really, a quick flash of incidental toplessness gets it banned? Hiro's erotic life is, shall we say, rather limited, and HM is fundamentally a serious story with comic overtones.

If you want to live in a walled garden like the iStuff universe, you have to live with letting the proprietor control what you see. Me, I'll stick to the open Internet.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
The_Q wrote:

Keep in mind this is Apple we're talking about. It seems this company has decided to take the Nintendo approach to its application offerings.

Apple's been in the news lately for its draconian approach to its rules for developers to develop and offer applications.

I should point out Apple has every right to do this as it is their service. Unfortunately, Apple has yet to learn from its own history on how proprietary restrictions will eventually lead to a loss of sales. Their computers didn't sell for this very same reason.

30% is a relatively low number for Kondansha. I'd suspect this number would be much larger if more of their library is pushed.

But the most disappointing part of the article is that Kodansha seems to be putting too much stock in Apple, rather than do it themselves so they can get their digital titles to people.

[insert head banging against wall image here]
M7AS Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
It seems similar to the Dance in the Vampire Bund ordeal. It's Apple's choice not to put out these products. Still, there is an audience so I don't see why they don't want to make a little cash. Question
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
M7AS Pilot wrote:
It seems similar to the Dance in the Vampire Bund ordeal. It's Apple's choice not to put out these products. Still, there is an audience so I don't see why they don't want to make a little cash. Question

Maybe because iTunes store is open to all with no age verification for buying its products IIRC.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Apple's been in the news lately for its draconian approach to its rules for developers to develop and offer applications.

I should point out Apple has every right to do this as it is their service. Unfortunately, Apple has yet to learn from its own history on how proprietary restrictions will eventually lead to a loss of sales. Their computers didn't sell for this very same reason.

Yeah, except that Apple is an American company trying to impose their American morals to a Japanese publisher.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

30% is a relatively low number for Kondansha. I'd suspect this number would be much larger if more of their library is pushed.

But the most disappointing part of the article is that Kodansha seems to be putting too much stock in Apple, rather than do it themselves so they can get their digital titles to people.

Maybe if Kodansha publish their mangas in a Japanese-made device instead to using a crappy Western-made device like the Iphone.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The_Q wrote:

Keep in mind this is Apple we're talking about. It seems this company has decided to take the Nintendo approach to its application offerings.

[insert head banging against wall image here]

Exactly what I was going to say ^

They could open their own online store and sell manga as .cbr files. Sure, there isn't any DRM, but .cbr files can be read on any computer using free software and on the iPod/iPhone using rather inexpensive apps. ComicZeal is one of the better ones and it's only $4.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
This is the reason the likes of Kodansha and co, should just sort out a website instead. iTunes is nice, but their very american standards will see a lot of manga edited, which is exactly what will turn fans off, and back to scans.

Give it a year, and once rivals to iPad appear, they'll have another outlet. With their group working together, they can and should seek more freedom that the net provides.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
This is one of the reasons I bloody hate Apple and and all their bloated totalitarian DRM shit.

In a just world the iPad would be a horrible commercial failure.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they recognize the futility of DRM for ebooks. Paper books are so easily scanned, and are. DRM just punishes those who wish to buy things legally by making it difficult for them to retain the purchase. I won't buy a DRM'd ebook unless I have the tools to remove it.

As for Apple, the Japanese should just ignore them. Their tech is better anyway. They should just run with it and build their own portal that people can access through any mobile browser to buy their comics. And they can offer apps to access it for all the other smartphones.
nailszz6

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
This is horrible news. Even if it is a child Shonen series like Dragon Ball, or One Piece, the chances of micro censorship are high just to allow it to be published. It seems I will have to find "alternate" methods of getting manga on my ipad. I would have prefered reading manga with ipad's ibook interface.
Wetall

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Geez, why don't these morons simply sell e-titles from their own website? Or better yet, why not just put them up on a relatively unrestricted website like DLsite?

Sheesh, what makes people believe that e-releases have to be limited to something like iTunes?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahaha! Bellyfeel at the altar of Steve Jobs, Big Brother! Laughing
(Remember the 1984 Super Bowl ad? How ironic it is now.)

Apple likes to string a tight leash. That's good and bad: good it made Macs a very stable platform; bad there's not as much freedom. Though a colleague literally pissed on Steve Jobs' coffee last month (I won't elaborate, but it spread all over the internet, stealing Apple's thunder. Wink )
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that Americans are so prude and everything has to be censored. Personally I kind of blame the parents for doing all of this; they're afraid that if little Janie sees boobies, it's a bad thing. Children are going to find out about their bodies sooner or later, so shielding them is kind of pointless. And if you don't want to have your children seeing nudity or sexual acts, then maybe the parents should be watching them instead of sticking them in front of a TV or a gaming system (though don't get me wrong I love gaming xD) because the parents themselves are too lazy to watch them. [Though I do understand with some parents, most parents are just so damn lazy. Case and point, mine.]

Or we can just get rid of iPads and the idiotic iPhone. Problem solved. Smile [Sorry for the rant. I just hate Apple and their controlling of everything electronic related.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese have to use Western devices if they want to digitize, as the article "Japan book market resists digital shift" points out:
Quote:

Big publishers are wary of changing a decades-old business model under which they set the retail prices and discourage discounting. This helps put a floor under their profits and, they argue, protects the country's culture.

E-book service providers are likely to charge less for buying electronic titles, as they do in the United States, and this could lower prices of paperbacks and dent profits.

"If we can't maintain paper book publishing, we are not going to cooperate," said Mitsuyoshi Hosojima, a director of the Electric Book Publishers Association of Japan, which was set up last month to address the e-book threat.

Kodansha Inc, Shogakkan Inc, Shueisha Inc, Japan's top three publishers, are leading members of the association.

E-book readers are not available in Japanese and there is virtually no market to speak of for electronic novels such as the now booming industry in the United States.

Amazon, whose Kindle book reader was the most-purchased gift in the company's history last Christmas season, said many Japanese are buying English e-books from its US Web site, indicating there would be strong demand of a Japanese device.

Seems the Japanese publishers are holding onto their papyrus even tighter than U.S. newspapers. Not unexpected, as Japan holds to tradition, like finances where paper legal tender still dominates over electronic money transactions. So ya can expect your tankoubons not to disappear just yet. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2