• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike Witches

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
I don't care even if this review was well-written (it was), that's still no reason to give Strike Witches an A-. Says me who hasn't seen it but is just pre-judging it from all the random stuff I've heard around the Net.

But seriously, this review has piqued my curiosity that the show might not be as trashy as the fanservice might imply, but I still have absolutely no interest in watching it. Which is a shame, because I am a military and military history buff. Well, I like to pretend that I am . . .

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
I agree with everything in this review except for this:

>>Overall (dub) : A-
Overall (sub) : B+

Strike Witches has a total A-list cast with a lot of my faves on it, but I am also a total dub-hater, so this is no surprise at all.

Nicely done. I was hoping we'd somehow manage to get a tasteful review of Strike Witches out of ANN and it happened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
My interest in this show just budged from "Eww, icky, don't want" to "mildly interested".
Otaking09

Wow, never thought it possible that Strike Witches could appeal this well to a critic...

I don't know too much about the show, and when I don't know much about something I try to avoid learning from it via rumors, blogs, etc.
But I learned two things today: 1. It's more than just about fan-service, that ALONE would get me to watch anything. And being a HUGE fan of Gonzo that I am, also warrants a reason too! So yeah, this review pretty much guaranteed me that it's worth watching.
2. Funimation can suck really bad at advertising their titles!

Great, Awesome review! Can't wait to try it!
Sarkozy

dtm42 wrote:
I don't care even if this review was well-written (it was), that's still no reason to give Strike Witches an A-.

I agree, its not deserving of it. I'd say a B seems more appropriate. I'd disagree that this review reeks of the dub elitism and Funimation fanboying I've come to expect from Richard J. All you need to see is the guy's blog, then you'll understand.

Then again, looking at who the reviewer is and his blog, this grade doesn't surprise me in the least. The grade on art doesn't surprise me either and kinda reflects on the reviewer. The dub would've gotten a B-/B from me, whereas the A-list seiyuu track would've gotten a B+/A-. Shouldn't a fair and balanced review give equal time to both tracks? We get a whole bunch about the dub, but nothing hardly on his opinion of the Japanese track.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Count me as surprised. Maybe I actually will give this a shot at some point since it sounds like I could do a lot worse.

And what's with people getting worked up over the dub version getting an A-? It's entirely possible the reviewer liked it more, and perhaps even more importantly: it's an A- vs. a B+. It's not even a big deal, especially since review scores are fairly arbitrary.
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
I agree with everything in this review except for this:

>>Overall (dub) : A-
Overall (sub) : B+

Strike Witches has a total A-list cast with a lot of my faves on it, but I am also a total dub-hater, so this is no surprise at all.

Nicely done. I was hoping we'd somehow manage to get a tasteful review of Strike Witches out of ANN and it happened.

Indeed it has. It's quite refreshing to see a review like this coming out of ANN of all places. I usually peruse the reviews here only to be disappointed and inevitably look elsewhere.

I must also share your disagreement with the reviewer over the dub. In my perspective, many of the girls were miscast in that they have far deeper voices than appears natural for their characters.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
I can understand that, but as someone who doesn't speak a word of Japanese: how can you tell if their acting is good or not? Confused I do watch subs occasionally, when the dub is particularly bad.

The fact that Funi decided not to go with accents doesn't bode well for Hetalia; if they can't be arsed to do German, Russian, French etc. then I can't see them doing Polish and what have you. Sad

Anyway. My contention with this series has always been the art style that does seem to pander somewhat to a certain demographic. I thought the general concept of witches VS aliens was cool. As Richard says, maybe I should look past that, but I just can't. Perhaps season two will have a more mature (all right, pedants, more mature looking Razz ) cast?
Joketsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Strike Witches is fully deserving of an A. I honestly watched it at first just expecting "oh flying lolis I can see their panties har har what" and to see what my friends were raving about.

I did not expect to come out of it like I did, which was absolutely adoring all the characters to pieces. The interactions are top-notch, and I'm a sucker for good development and interaction, so it was a real treat for me. It was also really sweet and charming as a whole, and I managed to shed some tears when spoiler[they got split up at the end.]

I can only hope Season 2 will be just as good. If it is, then I'll be perfectly satisfied. Anyone walking away from it due to fanservice is making a mistake.

Besides, it has Charlotte in it, and any female character portrayed as actually enjoying food, especially junk food, wins a special place in my heart.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
Congrats Richard for getting your article! I'm glad to see Zac (i think it was him) keep up his promise.

Your review makes me sort of wonder why I never gave this show a chance. Most anime nowadays is over saturated with fanservice but they have a plot too- and it seems Strike Witches is no exception.

I may have to check it out.

I also have to say I am happy to see a different type of review here. Not the typical review i'd expect. I wouldn't mind seeing more reviews of titles like this that actually look at the show without the pretense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shiro_Shishi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
I watched the free dub eps up on Funimations Video Portal and surprise,surprise I liked it! I already figured I was going to watch this show, but to get a good review from ANN? That surprised me! A good surprise though. Good surprises are always good Smile

...but is it wrong of me to wonder what Zac would rate this? I just love that guy, lol
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Good job Richard J. I'm pretty anti-moe/loli when it comes to anime but whether it's politics, religion or entertainment I always enjoy hearing from people of opposing views rather than others saying the same thing I already know or believe. That being said I still picked up Strike Witches first day despite being anti-moe/loli to see where the positive and negative comments were coming from.

I went into it thinking the story would be garbage and I would be disturbed by the exploitation of minors. After watching it I was very pleased (but the issue with minors still bugs me) and am looking forward to season 2. There are many likable characters, the story kept my attention most of the time and I liked the soundtrack. In all the show proved to be more than just a punching bag for anti moe/loli people like me. I don't think I could attach an A- to it but we each get something different from the same shows.

Last edited by The Count on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
Yay! Strike Crotches is here! Laughing

Nice thing about the no accents. It's a no-win situation; people will always complain about fake accents, even when it's real.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
For a second I thought this was a real ANN review, but then I realized it was just an elaborate way for Zac to prove there's no appeasing moe fans.

The review itself was fine, and it was competently written, but we're already getting a mini-shitstorm over the sub/dub issue. Fun fun fun.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
A-

Really.

Please tell me how much Funi paid you to say that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8