• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[WiP] Jin Hwan SUNG (#53182) = Tamaki SŌSHIN (#80635) ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
ANN has the following two persons:

震環 = Jin Hwan SUNG (#53182, GREEN, 3 credits for background art in Eureka Seven, Mushi-shi, Ergo Proxy)
宋震 = Tamaki SŌSHIN (#80635, GREEN, 3 credits for background art in Gundam 00 Second Season, CANAAN, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0)

The shirayuki source for Nagasarete Airantou has all three-kanji names white-space separated, giving the name of 震環. All other Google hits for this three-kanji string (even D2_STATION for Nagasarete Airantou) go without a white-space separator. (I don't have an ED section of Nagasarete Airantou at hand, the credit would be in every episode. Mushi-shi ep. 23 has an almost equal distance between the three kanji...)

The reading "Soushin" isn't taken from ENAMDICT but simply the only possible on-yomi reading for these two characters and looks like guesswork (plus this is the only "Soshin" person in the ANN database, except for the company 双進映像 that has been entered as Sōshin Eizō).

GREEN is a Japanese company but Wikipedia lists it as partner company of a Chinese company 風動画文化発展有限公司 (which I can't romanize, otherwise I would credit it for Nagasarete Airantou as well, these two companies did the background art for all 26 episodes; it apparently means something like "Wind Animation Culture Development Stock Corporation/chinese"; could this possibly be Kaze Animation which did Background Art for Mushi-shi and has no kanji name so far?). So having a Chinese name here doesn't look implausible.

Would this be sufficient evidence to consider Tamaki SŌSHIN a kanji misreading duplicate?

Last edited by Devil Doll on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Looks like a similar case to this - dormcat is the expert here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
(Sigh)

The studio is Feng Animation Design Co., Ltd. And yes, they've done many background arts for Japanese animation, including Mushi-shi (which can be seen on their homepage). All credits under "Kaze Animation" should be removed.

The name 宋震環 is Chinese and should be romanized with Hanyu Pinyin as SONG, Zhenhuan. To be more picky, the third character should have been written as 环 but it's simplified and Japanese kanji does not have the same character, thus 環 (same in traditional Chinese and Japanese kanji) is taken as an equivalent replacement. D2_STATION also has many other Chinese names: 尚友軍 朱小丹 邸一博 林本周 劉玲 許琳 唐翼翔. By the way, #53182 is romanized Korean.

It's over 1AM here... I'd better go to bed and do the moving tomorrow or it's very likely for me to make a mistake in this overhaul. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is going to be "fun" for you, with
Kaze Anime (1 credit for backgrounds) and
Kaze Animation (5 credits for backgrounds, 2 credits for production cooperation)

whereas
Kaze Animation S.A (5 credits for distribution) and
Kaze Animation S.A. (lots of credits for distribution, http://www.kaze.fr/)
is the French company Kaze (the "S.A." might indicate "Société par actions" but I can't see a confirmation on their website or the Wikipedia page).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I assume the French Kaze are the same people who licensed and are dubbing the Professor Layton movie that Manga is releasing:
http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/14619024826
http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/15656602179
There's some background on them and their connection to Viz here:
http://www.japanator.com/viz-does-eurotrip-parent-companies-acquire-kaze-and-anime-virtual-11159.phtml
We also have them as plain Kaze.

Anyway back to Feng... I thought I was check to see what the English licensees have been using. I assume the "Fu Doga" in FUNimation's credits for Mushishi is another variation, but one that thankfully hasn't been entered in the encyclopaedia. Actually, that's only episode 1 - for episode 2,3+5 they've plumped for "Kaze Douga" (again, not in our encyclopaedia). Episode 4, "Fu Douga". I don't have the episodes that Mr Song is credited for.

Looks like someone in Geneon has more smarts since Ergo Proxy actually does have "Feng Animation Design Co., LTD"

They are in our database already as simply Feng Animation.

If the only way to fix this is to delete and re-enter it all then I can help with that, but if there's a better way let me know.

--edit--

Oh, plain forgot to look for him, but Geneon triumphed again with "Song Zhen Huan". Given the number of errors often seen in FUNimation credits, this is another reason to miss Geneon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1