• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses Yugo the Negotiator

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
wow!

who saw this coming?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The title of this show always makes me want to sing "In a Yugo", Paul Shanklin's parody of "In the Ghetto".

"And they drive with pride,
'Cause if there's one thing this world needs,
It's environmental friends who will take the lead,
In a Yugo..."

Hopefully, people will realize that this show isn't about crappy East European subcompacts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Who saw this coming? I did. My anime club watched it. (This year, out of 11 series we've watched fairly regularly, only Yakitate Japan, Kono Minikuku, and 2x2=Shinobuden have not been licensed yet.)

Anyway, right now, the only thing I can say about Yugo is that it beat out Kokoro Library by a substantial margin in a comparative survey. Then again, even Mew Mew Power could probably beat out Kokoro Library in a comparative survey.
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised, if only because this is a show about an adult. I thought only kiddie stuff had any real shot at being licensed. Now if someone will just license the Monster anime...
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
tropical_kit wrote:
I am surprised, if only because this is a show about an adult. I thought only kiddie stuff had any real shot at being licensed.

um...Texhnolyze? L/R? Master Keaton? Yukikaze, Area 88 TV?

though granted, three of those are Geneon titles, but still. Nowadays, with only a few exceptions, pretty much anything has a *chance* of being licensed. And even for those exceptions, I think it's now essentially a matter of 'when' rather than of 'whether.'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I was generalizing. You have listed 5 titles out of the hundreds that have been licensed and released. I think it's fair to say that anime companies (licensing anime in the US, that is) are concentrating on the young and very young. I was surprised you didn't mention Cowboy Bebop, which, despite its action appeal, did deal with more complex themes.

I maintain that Yugo is aimed at an older (i.e. more mentally mature) market; I think it's too subtle to appeal to the mass of anime fans out there. I'm not trying to be offensive. I hope Yugo does well over here.
zegron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I for one am pleased with this annoucement, I've seen the show and I really enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
tropical_kit wrote:
I was generalizing. You have listed 5 titles out of the hundreds that have been licensed and released. I think it's fair to say that anime companies (licensing anime in the US, that is) are concentrating on the young and very young.

...so are Japanese companies that are producing anime in the first place. Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent - those are all essentially anomalies. Doreamon, Pokemon, Crayon Shin-chan - those are *much* more representative of what anime is than the serious adult shows. I don't think the percentage of adult-oriented to overall is drastically different in the US from what it is in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
tropical_kit wrote:
I was generalizing. You have listed 5 titles out of the hundreds that have been licensed and released. I think it's fair to say that anime companies (licensing anime in the US, that is) are concentrating on the young and very young.

...so are Japanese companies that are producing anime in the first place. Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent - those are all essentially anomalies. Doreamon, Pokemon, Crayon Shin-chan - those are *much* more representative of what anime is than the serious adult shows. I don't think the percentage of adult-oriented to overall is drastically different in the US from what it is in Japan.

I put the qualifier in because I am not an otaku and do not have deep knowledge of the original Japanese market. Whatever the case, I am always glad to see something for us grown-ups.
Utils

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The are three very happy people right now. The rest are either saying "Meh." or "Who?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1