• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wacom Posts Live Drawing Videos by Artists, Animators

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donpablo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Pretty neat way to get people interested in their products. Just wished I had the 1k+ needed for that particular model Anime hyper
nynextew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Same here. It seems like most of their products are super expensive. D:
Guess I'll be buying the cheap-o stuff till that model is obsolete/cheap Anime hyper~
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
In that video, the software the guy is using Paint Tool Sai, isn't it? It seems like everybody and their dog is using that now...I want it (already have a Wacom tablet, no way I can afford a tablet PC thing like that).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quote
nynextew wrote:
Same here. It seems like most of their products are super expensive.

While there's truth to this statement, their low cost products are more than sufficient to get people into using a tablet.Is $69 considered too expensive?

I own this tablet and I enjoy it. Still getting used to it, but that's to be expected. For $69, it's extremely customizable in just about every aspect. Screen adjustment, pen sensitivity, and even button commands (there are two buttons on the pen).

Software is what will make the difference, which brings me on topic. I couldn't help but notice the software the videos are showing isn't something I recognize. It sure isn't Photoshop, so I wonder what it is.

Nice video. Even though my skills lack, it's still fun to watch people take colored pixels and transform them into what we'll be drooling over one day.

I'll have to check out the remaining videos throughout the day today. At 10 minutes each, those are already pushing the limit of watching them at work.

The great news is I can say they're education since we use Photoshop as well.
Very Happy
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
I think if the program isn't Sai, its more than likely Corel Painter or Adobe Illustrator.

$69 is a reasonable price for a cheap Wacom. I have a Volito Wacom, which is the same size and prior version to the Bamboo. The more you pay, the more drawing space you get. I too, would love Cintiq, and once I'm working again I might invest in one. Thing is, iPad is now a far cheap option than a Cintiq now, if you can use Apple products.

Glad to see Wacom promoting their tablets via such videos. I've been a fan of their products since they started selling them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
braves

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
I still prefer the idea of animators drawing on actual paper, but it was cool to see Ryo-timo* draw nonetheless.

*I know the article and the precision for this Birdy the Mighty credits says "Ryōchimo", but the url to his website says otherwise. Reminds me that I need to make thread about this.... Here's another one of his profiles on ANN and if people wanted to see more of his work click here (spoilers for random series).

Last edited by braves on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
*I know the article and the precision for this Birdy the Mighty credits says "Ryōchimo", but the url to his website says otherwise. Reminds me that I need to make thread about it this.... Here's another one of his profiles on ANN and if people wanted to see more of his work click here (spoilers for random series).

It has come up before (I looked it up yesterday myself, but decided since it is written in hiragana it comes down to what romaji scheme you're using and whether we stick to a standard, go with whatever is "official" or both)

Onizuka666 wrote:
Thing is, iPad is now a far cheap option than a Cintiq now, if you can use Apple products.

In terms of professional use there is no contest since the iPad is not compatible with pens nor is it pressure sensitive. A more sensible alternative is a convertible table like HPs TM2 or Lenovo's X200t which have a touchscreen combined with a wacom digitiser.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear you're happy with your new Bamboo tablet, PJ Smile

I use a Graphire4 myself (second pen), and had a Volito2 before that. I haven't used (or owned) a mouse in about eight years or so.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Nothing like a really good artist to make me remember why I stopped drawing.

That's really cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nynextew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Is $69 considered too expensive?

Software is what will make the difference, which brings me on topic. I couldn't help but notice the software the videos are showing isn't something I recognize. It sure isn't Photoshop, so I wonder what it is.

It's not expensive, per se. It's just too small for me. I like tablets that have the same dimensions as a notebook and they run pretty high from what I can tell.

Also, the software the artist is using is Paint Tool Sai. It's actually a REALLY good program. Basically makes photoshop's inking look like chicken scratch.
In the other videos I was only able to make out one other program: Corel Painter 11 (or X)

http://www.amazon.com/Corel-PTR11ENPCM-Painter-11/dp/B001TYYZCA It's a pretty decent program, but there are too many....brushes, IMO.

The King of Harts wrote:
Nothing like a really good artist to make me remember why I stopped drawing.

That is foolish. I've been drawing since I was 12 and I JUST started doing something I like....it's all about practice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1