• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime (Novel)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
...but is it wrapped in a vest?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
There's an animated version of at least part of this, isn't there? I would swear I saw a one-shot animation earlier in the summer which used some of this premise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chocobolily

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There's an animated version of at least part of this, isn't there? I would swear I saw a one-shot animation earlier in the summer which used some of this premise.

Bungaku Shojo, maybe? I think the movie came out this May.
quoss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
Wonderful review was wonderful. Vague without spoilers and riveting to read--even if it's words about words. Incredible. *swoon*

Do want these novels. Have been thieving away with manga scans all this time and...well, should probably just hop on over to RightStuf. Pre-ordered the Tooko nendoroid before I even knew who she was, so damned cute. Character adds to the love tenfold.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
Quoss wrote:
Pre-ordered the Tooko nendoroid before I even knew who she was, so damned cute.

I'm also guilty of that. Laughing
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
Got a copy of this from one of YP's twitter contests and I enjoyed it way more than I expected. Probably helps that I haven't read Haruhi so I didn't notice the similarities there and the book managed to pull off two big twists pretty well, if I hadn't noticed there were a lot of pages left I wouldn't have expected the second one at all. Can't wait to read the next one, even though I still think the title sounds pretty awkward.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Well, this IS the first novel after all. There's more to come!
quoss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Got a copy of this from one of YP's twitter contests and I enjoyed it way more than I expected. Probably helps that I haven't read Haruhi so I didn't notice the similarities there and the book managed to pull off two big twists pretty well, if I hadn't noticed there were a lot of pages left I wouldn't have expected the second one at all. Can't wait to read the next one, even though I still think the title sounds pretty awkward.

Title is awkward. The original is Bungaku Shoujo--which means Literature Girl; not book. But over here, we don't have lit. clubs, we have books clubs. And thus...

EDIT: Ah. Also; The Clown Who Wished to Die. Sounds better than Suicidal Mime, dunnit? Yes, it does...
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey I was just reading this. Ugh honestly I am not a fan of light novels in general but I've been plugging through hasn't really "grabbed me" yet you know? Maybe because of the slightly awkwardness of the prose/translation? So far it's an interesting premise. Kind of reminded me of R.O.D. -The TV- spoiler[you know, with famous child novelists and stuff. then that kind of stops haha.]
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. I'd been curious about this series for a while, and now my curiosity is satisfied.

I think I've just about said "goodbye" to the whole "light novel" thing, alas. The best one I've encountered in English ("Boogiepop and Others") reads more like a summary than an actual novel, and I get the impression that this is typical. I direct this criticism at the authors; not the translators, btw; if the author doesn't give the translator enough words and descriptive passages, this is the best we can expect.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Thanks for the review. I'd been curious about this series for a while, and now my curiosity is satisfied.

I think I've just about said "goodbye" to the whole "light novel" thing, alas. The best one I've encountered in English ("Boogiepop and Others") reads more like a summary than an actual novel, and I get the impression that this is typical. I direct this criticism at the authors; not the translators, btw; if the author doesn't give the translator enough words and descriptive passages, this is the best we can expect.

I think they're more concerned about getting it popular enough in Japan first without worrying about different languages. Neutral

Anyway, I'll probably buy this. The light novel business needs at least a few people supporting it. Then Boogiepop might someday be continued in English. Wink
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
My BA is offended ~_~
straydogrenji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
"(Imagine, by comparison, Japanese readers trying to make sense of a novel built around the works of Ernest Hemingway.)"

You only have to wait for the second LN, which is based around Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights. There are several other non-Japanese works used over the course of the main series and short stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1