• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: K-On's Real-Life School Gets Its Own Postage Stamp Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giascle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although neither the stamps nor the press release mentions K-ON!, one of the stamps features a guitar similar to the one that the K-ON! character Yui plays.

Don't forget the pastries on the table. It's not K-On! without pastries.
scchan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
State endorsement to moeblob Twisted Evil

PS: Frankly speaking, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing... I know what the headmaster of the school will probably say however.. haha (Deja Vu Haruhi)

Last edited by scchan on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I must say I'm curious on whether a fervent fan of the kakifly manga placed that turtle on the banister of the staircase of if it was that way all along and kakifly just incorporated it into his series. I'm leaning towards the former, seeing how kakifly has incorporated a lot of turtles in the story, even the pet Ton-chan.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
I want those ****ing stamps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Epsilon18

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
Pretty awesome.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I must say I'm curious on whether a fervent fan of the kakifly manga placed that turtle on the banister of the staircase of if it was that way all along and kakifly just incorporated it into his series. I'm leaning towards the former, seeing how kakifly has incorporated a lot of turtles in the story, even the pet Ton-chan.

Given there's some sort of story about the tortoise and the hare on the site, it seems more like the latter:
http://www.toyosato-elschool.net/toyosato/movie/movie.html

Was the school in the manga designed after this school anyway? The article suggests it was just the anime.

--edit-- I think I'm losing my mind, or at least my words --/edit--

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Heaven's Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Are these actually a separate postage stamp issue or just the Japanese equivalent of what in the US would be known as "personalized postage" where you can put whatever pictures you want in the frames?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Heaven's Cloud wrote:
Are these actually postage stamps or just the Japanese equivalent of what in the US would be known as "personalized postage" where you can put whatever pictures you want in the frames?

The Japanese Post Office would not "announce" release of a set of personalized postage made by some fan. This is a set released in hopes that people will buy the stamps and not use them. insert_cash_register_sound_here
Heaven's Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Heaven's Cloud wrote:
Are these actually postage stamps or just the Japanese equivalent of what in the US would be known as "personalized postage" where you can put whatever pictures you want in the frames?

The Japanese Post Office would not "announce" release of a set of personalized postage made by some fan. This is a set released in hopes that people will buy the stamps and not use them. insert_cash_register_sound_here

Yes and no. I did some research on these - they are "Frame" stamps issued by Japan Post in 2007 whose image portion could be personalized (according my Scott 2010 Vol. 4 Stamp catalogue - I cannot read enough kanji to know what Sakura 2009 catalog says about them - both just list a generic image). Looks like Japan Post offically personalized them for this. I agree they are a cash grab - looks like they are priced above the face value of the stamps - similar to the Australian post officially selling Disney or Pixar personalized stamps or the USPS selling NFL team personalized stamps. See also http://green.autoblog.com/2010/01/24/nissan-and-japanese-post-office-to-sell-electric-vehicle-history/ for the same frames issued honoring Nissan. Most stamp collectors / stamp catalogs won't recognize these types of stamps as separate issues or official commemoratives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1