• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Florida Library Makes Teen Area After Manga Complaints

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least some good came out of the tragically unbalanced woman's protestations. A teen section is a good idea, I wish more libraries would divy up series.

Problem is, they don't always know what should go where; I wound up giving them a big giant list when I found Battle Royale, Transmetropolitan, and more in the area of the library restricted to 12-19 year olds. Were some of them excellent comic books? Oh yes. But putting them in a teen section gives parents a sense of security, that they don't have to check on any book a kid gets from there. And no, as much as I loved the gonzo glee of Transmetropolitan, I don't want a 12-year old reading it.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Problem is, they don't always know what should go where

I know what you mean. I once found a copy of Vouyer in the teen manga section of my local library. You'd think the name alone would have raised some red flags.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
In some bookstores, I've noticed manga does NOT have it's own complete seperate section, but it gets spread out throughout the store.

Kids:
This includes titles like Megaman, Pokemon, and for some reason, I remember Dragonball being in there

Teens:
In between all the Twilight and copycats materials, there is a LARGE manga section, including a mix of stuff like Naruto, Bleach, .hack, Fruits Basket etc

Graphic Novels:
Now, I guess this is considered the "adult" section? Titles here include a variety, from Angel Sanctuary to Fushigi Yuugi, to Tsubasa/xxxHOLic, to Inuyasha of all things 0_o (Why that isn't in teens, I'll have no idea...)

I always found it annoying to find this setup, since you have to go to different places to look, and the choice of titles in the section are odd. Still, sticking everything in a "teen" section in a library I guess would make the most sense (or just make it a designated "manga" section, since you know, stuff for all ages is in it :/)
zeonozero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="vashfanatic"] A teen section is a good idea, I wish more libraries would divy up series.

I totally agree with this. Teens should have their own section and the manga and other graphic novels should go along. But when a kid has to get therapy, i mean there are other things in the library im sure are disturbing, too bad manga is all pictures though.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I still think that lady is somewhat odd, but at least some good came of this. As for the kid, I am not even going to go there.

However, I do think the area now needs some regulation, so this might not happen again or at the very least, have someone with solid complaints. Since it's a teenager area with "comfy" coaches (although comfy is technically a word, why a library didn't use the word comfortable is beyond me.) the only manga that should be brought in is manga that is a rating of 13+ to 17+.

18+ and it would belong in the adult section, even if it's educational. In addition, a waver should be considered and be required to be signed by a parent or guardian. That is if the person is under 18, which obviously would be the case since it's a teenager hang out. But not just any waver, one that completely makes the library not responsible for book a minor should read.

Just a thought, since this whole mess started with a minor reading a book that was far too mature for him.
MsAdultPerson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Apparently he picked up Psychic Academy and Gantz, not a series for a kid, but I don't think he would need therapy after reading it...

Last edited by MsAdultPerson on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Having a teen section in a library is amazing, especially for teens who are into manga and graphic novels. However, most libraries don't know how to separate manga into sections where they belong. I think more libraries should have them, seeing as how this mother complained that her son had to be placed in intensive care or whatever. Yes I agree that it's sad, but most parents think that all manga/anime is bad once they see only one thing that is offensive (i.e. the Dragon Ball manga situation).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Haha a library reorganizing to make a teen section, it's interesting but it's not big news. I think the real headliner in this story is that there is apparently a manga so inappropriate that a child had to go to therapy after reading it. I mean as a kid I usually ignored the age warning labels on all forms of media. I played M games, watched R movies, and read books from an age group that was way out of my maturity level, ext. But I never saw anything that would make me go into therapy, I can't even imagine something that could be that bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
serephita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
MsAdultPerson wrote:
Apparently he picked up Psychic Academy and Gantz, not a series for a kid, but I don't think he would need therapy after reading it...

Really? I thought it was Saiyuki that he read. Really though, I don't see how any of those issues would create such a huge problem for anyone, unless there were some underlying problems to begin with.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
I'll definitely take this over banning manga from Libraries.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
serephita wrote:
MsAdultPerson wrote:
Really? I thought it was Saiyuki that he read. Really though, I don't see how any of those issues would create such a huge problem for anyone, unless there were some underlying problems to begin with.
If I remember correctly, Saiyuki was just used in a generic accompanying pic (stock photo, maybe?) as an example of what "manga" is. I'm pretty sure it was Gantz what brung the crazy. I kid though, obviously there were preexisting issues and this title while not appropriate for teens (or so I've heard) isn't the culprit. I don't think anyone here would argue that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
Damn, it was Gantz? Heh, I love that series and all, but I can see how it could screw with a younger kid if they decided to give it a look. Guess he was too sane for it. Confused
Siouxsie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Damn, it was Gantz? Heh, I love that series and all, but I can see how it could screw with a younger kid if they decided to give it a look. Guess he was too sane for it. Confused

I was thinking he was a teenager? Hence the insistence on a section for teenagers? It actually doesn't say though. Before I read your comment, I was very skeptical of the mother's claims because seriously is a manga going to scar a let's say 13-year-old boy? However, my best friend's little sister is six and she can definitely be affected by watching movies sometimes (like Disney movies that her parents never even consider might scare her). I don't know, I think at a certain age, people learn to separate reality and fiction and that's why Hellsing doesn't give us all nightmares. My first gut instinct is another parent using media as a scape goat for issues that already exist. Either way though, I agree some good as come out of it.. the kid's getting help and the new area sounds like a good thing.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quote
It seems they're addressing some public concerns, by setting it up so that the section is more easily identified as being for older readers, while sneakily ensuring everyone still has access to the books [score Smile]
They shouldn't of been in any real trouble considering the books that started the controversy were in the adult section- that's why you should go to the library with your son if you're so concerned about what he's reading, crazy crimpy haired Florida lady, instead of just counting on them to babysit for you. You're the responsible one.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of an article I just read yesterday about the newly renovated Portland, ME Public Library which opened a new teen area and is now lending video games. They point out that out of about 130 games available they only have 3 left on the shelf and they don't enforce restrictions on M rated games (as most libraries believe it's up to the parents to make that choice). I think teen areas are a great idea, it gets kids into the library which increases the chances of them actually picking up a book, especially when there are other kids around that share the same interests.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3