Forum - View topic
PR: Hayate The Combat Butler First Series Coming to Crunchyroll




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dark Paladin X



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Posts: 268
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I hope this helps increase the chances of a re-release of Hayate the Combat Butler! with a dub. If I hear any news about Bandai dropping the idea of re-releasing the series with a dub even if the DVD sales does well enough, I'm going to start flaming and trolling a lot of people in the Internet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8206
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Well this is cool. I've been meaning to watch this show. So, thanks Crunchyroll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Almaz



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 134
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I have been collecting the first season on DVDs already. I am hoping to see the second season come out on DVD. Hayate to get more exposure would help a little. Since Crunchyroll is dubbing their first DVD for the market, maybe they will pick up and dub the second season. Very wishful thinking.

What is up with the wacky mega blanket disclaimer? Especially this "The Company may change its intention, belief or expectation, at any time and without notice, based upon any changes in such factors, in the Company's assumptions or otherwise. The Company undertakes no obligation to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events."

Those kind of statements makes me wonder about my membership there. Reminds me of some EULAs for software.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takeyo



Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 736
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it, like most EULA walls walls o' text, is simply boilerplate cya's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2522
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I have been collecting the first season on DVDs already. I am hoping to see the second season come out on DVD. Hayate to get more exposure would help a little. Since Crunchyroll is dubbing their first DVD for the market, maybe they will pick up and dub the second season. Very wishful thinking.


Crunchyroll isn't creating any dubs. Their only release so far is 5cm Per Second, which already had two pre-existing dubs. The first was from ADV and the second by ComixWave. They are simply releasing the Bang Zoom dub that ComixWave had commissioned.

Also, I doubt anyone will pick up Season 2 of the show and dub it, when season 1 is sub-only. A lot of people who won't buy sub-only releases are unlikely to buy the second season without the first. Not to mention, subsequent seasons of anime tend to have lower sales than the first season sets. It's very unlikely the Hayate Season 2 would sell enough to earn back the cost of a dub.

I've been meaning to give this show a try, so maybe I will. CR is probably my second least favorite streaming site, surpassed only by Funi, but I usually tolerate it for 30-60 minutes or so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Paladin X



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Posts: 268
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Crunchyroll isn't creating any dubs. Their only release so far is 5cm Per Second, which already had two pre-existing dubs. The first was from ADV and the second by ComixWave. They are simply releasing the Bang Zoom dub that ComixWave had commissioned.


Going back to your point, Crunchyroll is just releasing their first DVD sets with an existing dub (which is the Bang Zoom! one, no news about whether or not they will include the ADV one so fans can compare the performances). If this does well for them, it might encourage Crunchyroll to release some of the streamed stuff in their site in DVD. Or maybe take the second step and dub directly off the bat.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Also, I doubt anyone will pick up Season 2 of the show and dub it, when season 1 is sub-only. A lot of people who won't buy sub-only releases are unlikely to buy the second season without the first. Not to mention, subsequent seasons of anime tend to have lower sales than the first season sets. It's very unlikely the Hayate Season 2 would sell enough to earn back the cost of a dub.


But a bit more exposure to the show streamed online does help warrant for Bandai to re-release a series with a dub due to high sub-only DVDs (which I mentioned that sub-only DVD sales is the biggest factor of a dub re-release). Besides, by the way Crunchyroll is handling the episodes (premium membership gets to watch the first 34 episodes today while free users need to wait four episodes per week), it looks like it's more convenient to go for the Crunchyroll premium membership or buy the DVDs to those who really wanted to watch the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group