• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Three Kingdoms' Future Planet Studio Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
Yet another belly floater in the anime fish tank. So sad. Crying or Very sad
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
You mean to tell me a company that spent a LOT of money on something nobody was even remotely interested in is filing for bankruptcy? DUH!
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You mean to tell me a company that spent a LOT of money on something nobody was even remotely interested in is filing for bankruptcy? DUH!

I would have been all too happy to watch it, if any fansubbers or region-free simulcasters had been bothered to pick it up. I mean, let's face it; that version of the three kingdoms period looked infinitely more preferable to the Ikki Tousen brand. Yes, it does look like the company had some financial mismanagement problems (okay, a lot of them), but those wouldn't have mattered too much if only there was the audience. I blame the lack of interest in Three Kingdoms on a bottom-feeding audience only wanting bottom-feeder shows.
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:52 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I love Romance of the Three Kingdoms and it would have been nice if a show based on it would be taken seriously without having to be filled with moe pantsu shots. Just saying. But obviously because they didn't fill it with kawaii anime girls who somehow can't master the concept of pants, this company deserved to die a terrible death. Now let's all wait for the new seasons of Koihime Musou and Ikki Tousen.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
That's just it. There WAS no interest. Not now, not ever. Name on straight adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that was popular after 1990.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
I was actually looking forward to seeing this show, but as has been noted, it was never made available streaming and there was no English language fansub put out to my knowledge. These days, if a series doesn't have at least one of those things, it doesn't exist to us.

DmonHiro wrote:
That's just it. There WAS no interest. Not now, not ever. Name on straight adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that was popular after 1990.

The notion that "there is no interest in Romance of the Three Kingdoms" is completely outlandish, even in 2010. The 1994 TV series was hugely popular and is still remembered and regarded to this day. It was one of, if not the, most expensive TV series China had ever done. The Red Cliff movies by John Woo just came out and are similarly the most expensive Asian movies ever made. These movies are well-regarded both in China and internationally; I personally thought they were awesome and recommend watching the uncut version on Blu-Ray. Heck, even this year there is a new TV series that's set to run something like 100 episodes, and that's pretty crazy considering that the previous TV series from 16 years ago that told the same story was also of similar length. These are all very long, very expensive productions because that is what is required to tell the story given its scope. As such, I'm not surprised that the anime was similarly high budget, but perhaps with there having been at least three other faithful adaptations of the same story out at around the same time, interest in an animated version was less? I don't know. Maybe not many people would watch a cartoon version of a battle with like, tens/hundreds of thousands of people when they could watch a live-action version where they actually got that many people to film the thing instead.

It would be more accurate for you to say that the interest in Romance of the Three Kingdoms was never significant in the US and Japan. The story is incredibly long, incredibly intricate, and the elements that make the story so well-regarded in China apparently get lost in translation, but that's an academic point since the titles never really gets translated anyway as a result of it being so long and intricate. Souten Kouro was a pretty damned good anime series, but there is no US license and the fansubbing efforts ceased a little before the halfway point because it was just too hard to do properly. (It's not directly related, but the same applies to the various adaptations of the Condor Heroes trilogy).

The only reason any of us in the USA know that RotTK even exists is due to Koei's videogames and the various otaku-targeted anime titles made, and the reason is because those are what are reliably either licensed for release or fansubbed. The dialogue and plotlines in the "let's tell the story, only this time with plastic model kits/highly sexualized young girls" versions are, as one would imagine, substantially simplified from the original text. That is the CAUSE of "nobody cares about Romance of the Three Kingdoms here," not the effect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
But because people are willing to spend money on highly sexualized young females playing the roles, the animated series bombed and an anime company filed for bankruptcy. It was a problem of the wrong population being targeted.

This season we have Samurai Girls. This and the longevity of Ikkitousen should have been a hint as to which way they should have leaned with their title.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Let me rephrase: a straight anime adaptation. I think there are a couple more. And no, Ikkitousen and Koihime don't count.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
I believe what the others here said is true: Bottom Feeders. Bottom of the Barrel.

Anything with standards too high will not be liked by the "OH LOOK!! PANTIES!!" audience. Especially anything created with the teamwork of foreign countries like China and the US.

So that's "bottom-feeding" and "racism masquerading as introvertism." Sad. Truly. Really. Sad
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
heya, bottom feeder in the house, w00t! Yep, bottom of the barrel racist masquerading as introvert for realz because I choose to do as I please with my monies

That said, I'd still like to see Souten Kouro finished subbed. A straight up, faithful, long RotK adaptation? Please enjoy. Not for me. Company goes bankrupt producing said adaptation? Ok I'll be the fall guy for all my pantsu lovin' brethen out there!
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
That character design ruined everything. Is there even any anime with that type of design popular out there? I doubt faithfulness had anything to do with this. Souten Kouro was a good adaptation, but its popularity was also pretty bad.
Ikkitousen and sister are crappy adaptations, but they at least offer sexiness and cuteness (respectively).
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yet another belly floater in the anime fish tank. So sad. Crying or Very sad

I'm sad too I wanted to see another adaptation that could perhaps actually reach people... if anime fans consider a series like Ikkitousen as an acceptable adaptation I'll weep more...

I mean the Legend of Guan Gong is nice and the Red Cliff movie is amazing... I need more to go with the Romance of The Three Kingdoms book I've read (and played DW 1-6 played and own over here.)
extatix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I would have been all too happy to watch it, if any fansubbers or region-free simulcasters had been bothered to pick it up. I mean, let's face it; that version of the three kingdoms period looked infinitely more preferable to the Ikki Tousen brand. Yes, it does look like the company had some financial mismanagement problems (okay, a lot of them), but those wouldn't have mattered too much if only there was the audience. I blame the lack of interest in Three Kingdoms on a bottom-feeding audience only wanting bottom-feeder shows.

Fansubbers != income.
suika

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That character design ruined everything. Is there even any anime with that type of design popular out there? I doubt faithfulness had anything to do with this. Souten Kouro was a good adaptation, but its popularity was also pretty bad.
Ikkitousen and sister are crappy adaptations, but they at least offer sexiness and cuteness (respectively).

I personally liked the character designs. It tells me that this is an attempt at a serious and faithful adaptation and I'd be very interested to at least take a gander at it. If the character designs were the "moe/fanservice" variety, I'd immediately run far away from it.

That said, there are too many adaptations of this particular story to pick and choose from. There are only so many times that I'll be willing to sit and watch the same story again and again - be it animated or live action. The same also goes for those other Chinese classics.

And honestly... given the choice, I'd prefer to watch a live action version. If only to just fangirl over Takeshi Kaneshiro. Heh.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The inevitable "marketing" issue is understandable, considering all of the girl-fueled adapatations out there, but I think the key problem here were the costs overrunning, what with the delays and the bloated budget that the studio could hardly afford (160 debtors?!). Some serious financial and production mismanagement is apparent, as well as a lack of oversight and promotion from the producers. A straight-up "Three Kingdoms" adapatation could be accepted if it was good and of a high-quality, but if no one really knows too much about it, then of course it's going to lose money, especially if things behind-the-scenes were going out-of-control. Hard to recoup $12M with that cocktail of issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2