• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: 2010 N. American Anime Market Worth US$160-200 Million

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
Well, these are disappointing numbers for DVD collectors like myself who want the anime market to be strong and healthy so that as many titles as possible will be released. I could be wrong, but I don't think ICv2 is adjusting its figures for inflation, so the drop in the value of the anime market since 2002 is actually greater than it first appears.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder why they inclued Fairy Tail on the Shojo list (and misspelled it "tale" instead of "tail"), when its definitely a shonen series.

While it would be pretty stupid (but hilarious) if true, I wonder if they just heard the title and assumed it was a girly manga about fairies or something?
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, these are disappointing numbers for DVD collectors like myself who want the anime market to be strong and healthy so that as many titles as possible will be released. I could be wrong, but I don't think ICv2 is adjusting its figures for inflation, so the drop in the value of the anime market since 2002 is actually greater than it first appears.

Well, if they DID put into considering of inflation when calculating the figures from the previous years, then yeah, it is very disappointing. Also note that Walmart refused to give its statistics, so the figures shown aren't exact.

On the flip side, if ICv2 were to gather data on how much money was made via paid subscriptions in CR/The Anime Network or how much was made from digital distribution like iTunes, I'll say the figures would be a bit higher than 2002, although it may not balance out well with the drop of DVD sales.
hussar67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Disc and merchandise sales are still important, but it looks to me like the future revenue stream will be based on advertising connected to streaming media.

Which -- while I'm completely ignorant of the numbers, of course -- could provide some stability for the American distribution industry. If I ever get my TV hooked up to the Internet, then I'll be set and won't be so reliant on Netflix, which provides no advertising revenue to the companies. I still purchase the discs of titles I know I'll watch over and over again, of course.

Really, imo, the advent of sponsored simulcast streaming has made today the best climate for watching anime since Toonami and Adult Swim premiered with their long-lamented heavy anime slate.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
hussar67 wrote:
Disc and merchandise sales are still important, but it looks to me like the future revenue stream will be based on advertising connected to streaming media.

Which -- while I'm completely ignorant of the numbers, of course -- could provide some stability for the American distribution industry.

If you define stability as "peanuts with a few left over balls of lint," then yes, it's stability all right.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
It may not be worth as much in terms of sales, but how is it doing in profits? Nowadays less stuff gets licensed and more gets released in big half or whole-season collections at lower prices, often without having been dubbed into english, which when it's done is very expensive compared to the rest of the production. The market may have been moving a lot more expensive units earlier in the decade, but anyone could see it wasn't sustainable long-term. Most of the companies who were releasing everything they possibly could, complete with dub, regardless of the quality or sales potential of the titles they licensed got themselves into significant difficulty when their over-exploited bubble market took a dive, and many are out of business altogether.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
hussar67 wrote:

The report only states video sales and not merchandise sales though, which is considerably larger here.

Actually Yamakan had opined in a report on Japanator that he thought at least in Japan, they would be moving even more towards merchandise, and "give the video away" via streaming and what not.

Quote:
These estimates indicate that — unlike in Japan — the anime market is still bigger than the manga market in North America.

Most likely because most people can actually afford to buy manga, and lots of it, unlike anime there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
@NegativeZero - your point about company profitability is valid, since the bottom line with respect to distrib viability is, well...the bottom line. However, it is hard to imagine that the profit margins on anime have changed all that radically since 2002 so one has to assume that there is some correlation between a pretty substantial shrinkage in revenue and profitability.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, these are disappointing numbers for DVD collectors like myself who want the anime market to be strong and healthy so that as many titles as possible will be released.

Yes.

Though i'd be willing to give up the DVDs and packaging for direct downloads. as long as i keep something relatively permanent on my end, i'm basically satisfied.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Well back a few years ago when you had to spend $120+ dollars to own a season (4 episodes each on 6 dvds at at least $20 each....)

so it makes sense when we pay only $35-60 for a whole season now.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
One problem I have with direct download anime from Zune, Itunes and whatever. ONE problem: AMVs

Every single one of these videos are so strongly copyright protected, I can't use them to edit AMVs for. Which is a shame, considering that's the main reason I watch anime to begin with, and the prospect of owning a ready to edit copy went straight down the turlet. Of course, considering the AMV hobby itself, the result was kinda dur hey.
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
How much longer are illegal downloaders/uploaders going to deny that they are killing the industry? Every day the evidence grows stronger and stronger.
Talon87

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Well back a few years ago when you had to spend $120+ dollars to own a season (4 episodes each on 6 dvds at at least $20 each....)

so it makes sense when we pay only $35-60 for a whole season now.

Exactly. This is what I was going to say, too. I paid $30 a disc for Chobits back when Geneon was releasing the discs in the USA one at a time in 2003 and 2004. That's $210, give or take, for one program.

Times changed, and by the late mid-2000s Americans expected to never pay more than $100 for one 26-episode series.

Times changed even more, and today I might talk of spending even $80 to get an entire anime and people would think I'm a very poor shopper who can't locate the best deals.

So for this reason alone, these figures have the potential to be very misleading. All they tell us is, "This is how much the revenue has been for anime DVDs in North America." Period. They do *not* tell us what the net profits have been for the anime companies, and they definitely do not tell us how many DVDs have been purchased each year.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, these are disappointing numbers...

I suppose many will share this same view, but I can't see them as disappointing.

In 2002, anime was an entirely different market than it is today. What would happen to those 2002 numbers if the "Dragonball"-like tentpole titles were removed? I'd say those numbers would reflect what we're seeing in 2010.

There are no tentpole titles right now, as Naruto gets bashed for being nothing but filler and One Piece is (assumed) doing well, but it certainly can't attain nearly $500M without a "Pokemon" assist.

I'm not making any statement to say the industry is fine or hurting. What I'm saying is these "reports" show only a partial picture without giving us the data so we can really determine what's going on.

It's the entire JETRO 2007 $2.7Billion anime report all over again, in which Christopher McDonald (tempest) called to verify where those amounts actually came from (and what a difference when the tentpole data was "stripped"!).

That's just 3 years ago.

Not only are those tentpole titles gone now but there's a huge disconnect from those willing to buy and the products they're offered.

I seriously doubt Strike Witches is a tentpole title in the making no matter how many seasons FUNimation brings us.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
These numbers are from four years ago, I'm more interested in recent numbers, although the drastic drop between 2005 and 2006 is really noticeable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4