• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Gaiking Deal Signed With Walking Dead's Valhalla Ent.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
this could be interesting, looking forward to seeing how this'll turn out
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, this is the reason Gaiking The Movie Collection was pulled from a January 2013 release date in the US. Perhaps, they will wait til the new film hits theaters, or closer to that date to release the anime. I am definitely interested in a Live Action Gaiking! I have been a fan of Gaiking, and Super Robot Anime of Go Nagai and his contemporaries since Force Five was aired on the movie channel Spotlight in the early 80's!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I wonder if people will be snapping up mecha IPs like this in the hopes that Pacific Rim will start a piloted robot boom.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The Gaiking test teaser shows a lot of potential and let's just hope that the upcoming Pacific Rim movie will do box office gold and when that happens, maybe it will help make a new boom in giant piloted robot movies with Gundam and Evangelion joining the fray real soon.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
The Gaiking test teaser shows a lot of potential and let's just hope that the upcoming Pacific Rim movie will do box office gold and when that happens, maybe it will help make a new boom in giant piloted robot movies with Gundam and Evangelion joining the fray real soon.
thanks for reminding me of the one live action gundam movie I don't want to remember
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Man, people just don't know how to have fun with G-Saviour =/
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Man, people just don't know how to have fun with G-Saviour =/

Last I checked there wasn't a Rifftrax available for it.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
At the dissenters of having a live action Gundam movie, that horrid G-Savior movie does not exist in my mind and plus, that movie was done on a horrible shoestring budget.

I want a triple million dollar budget with the best special effects possible that rivals Transformers and Pacific Rim but with a well written script and with that, it would be something that Gundam fans can be proud of unlike the last travesty.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty G-Saviour wasn't that bad. Just don't take it so seriously.

But I see no particular value in slapping the Gundam name onto a live action movie project unless they were actually going to adapt a Gundam series, but that probably wouldn't be pretty. People were pissed enough as it was when G-Saviour did an original story, they'll be twice as mad if they mangled a beloved storyline.

I just want movies with giant robots and it's probably best if they do original stories without any franchise ties. I mean, if it was called Mobile Suit Gundam: Pacific Rim rather than be excited for it you'd have the hardcore fanbase ragging on it because fighting monsters "isn't Gundam" and such.

In Gaiking's case, I don't think the english fandom is familiar with it enough to really care what they change with it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Hm, I wonder if people will be snapping up mecha IPs like this in the hopes that Pacific Rim will start a piloted robot boom.

I was just about to say.............

But that is the plan:

• Gaiking has long been one of the most beloved giant robot animation franchises with a global fan base,” says Toei Animation’s Yoshi Ikezawa. The company wants the feature film “to be the first of many more to come from Toei’s large stable” of properties. There’s no release date yet. The backers plan to target the fanboy and fangirl audience that turned out for hits such as Marvel’s The Avengers and Paramount’s Transformers.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
The trailer looked pretty good. I have my fingers crossed that the movie will start something both here and in Japan.

I'd be totally into a resurgence of giant robot shows.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga, Viewers younger than 40 might not have heard of Gaiking, but for those 40 and older, the late 70's brought in Shogun Warrior Toys, a Marvel Shogun Warrior Comic and the US adaption to Gaiking, Grendizer, Getter Robo as well as many other Super Robot Anime. I have watched anime since the 70's, but my favorites are Super Robot Anime. While I enjoy Gundam, it is not as high as my favorites Grendizer and Gaiking. I have wanted to be able to buy the original series or Force Five, which is the title of Jim Terry's adaption of Super Robot Anime produced by Go Nagai and his contemporaries.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
When I was a kid, I thought Gaiking looked stupid, so now... Live Action Mazinger or nothing, baby.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1