• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Feb/March 2011 Solicitations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion on blu for me! Black Butler I might... wait, both parts come out the same day?? I still need to see what the special item is in it before I decide.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Got my eye here on a few good things...

Quote:

February
Summer Wars Blu-ray (Hyb) 2/15 - 34.98
FLCL DVD Complete Series (Hyb) - Classic Line 2/8 - 39.98

March
Evangelion, Neon Genesis: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance Blu-ray (Hyb) 3/29 - 29.98
Eden of the East Movie 1: King of Eden Blu-ray (Hyb) 3/22 - 34.98
Gunslinger Girl DVD Complete Series (Hyb) - Classic Line 3/15 - 59.98
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-ray Part 4 (Hyb) 3/29 - 54.98

But, a few things are seriously confusing the hell out of me up there...

1-Why on frickin earth are the "classic line" sets so freakishly expensive...? Especially really, really short shit like FLCL...
2-I'm seeing some standard definition shows get the Blu-Ray treatment... What's the point of bringing something like, say Yu Yu Hakusho to Blu-Ray? That show was never mastered for any widescreen treatment. They'd not only have to chop up the aspect, but upscale it to boot. Smells like a disaster.
3-I would've figured they'd be prepping To Aru Majutsu no Index/Railgun by then... Sure are taking their time.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Got my eye here on a few good things...

Quote:

February
Summer Wars Blu-ray (Hyb) 2/15 - 34.98
FLCL DVD Complete Series (Hyb) - Classic Line 2/8 - 39.98

March
Evangelion, Neon Genesis: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance Blu-ray (Hyb) 3/29 - 29.98
Eden of the East Movie 1: King of Eden Blu-ray (Hyb) 3/22 - 34.98
Gunslinger Girl DVD Complete Series (Hyb) - Classic Line 3/15 - 59.98
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-ray Part 4 (Hyb) 3/29 - 54.98

But, a few things are seriously confusing the hell out of me up there...

1-Why on frickin earth are the "classic line" sets so freakishly expensive...? Especially really, really short shit like FLCL...
2-I'm seeing some standard definition shows get the Blu-Ray treatment... What's the point of bringing something like, say Yu Yu Hakusho to Blu-Ray? That show was never mastered for any widescreen treatment. They'd not only have to chop up the aspect, but upscale it to boot. Smells like a disaster.
3-I would've figured they'd be prepping To Aru Majutsu no Index/Railgun by then... Sure are taking their time.

I do believe the Classic Line will have a better box, and I think it will not be the irritating flimsy cardboard that annoys people so much.
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
This for me, I am sort of glad Walmart messed up my Soul Eater order now.

Soul Eater Blu-ray Part 1 + Part 2
Rosario+Vampire DVD Complete Series (Hyb) Limited Edition
Eden of the East Movie 1: King of Eden Blu-ray
Evangelion, Neon Genesis: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance Blu-ray
Maybe Yu Yu Hakusho Season 1 Blu-ray Complete Set I will wait for some reviews on this one though.
Summer Wars Blu-ray
Black Butler
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Well the FLCL Blu-ray Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-ray, the Soul Eater Blu Ray, and the Chobit Blu-Ray have my interest, though I am curious to see how YYH looks on Blu-ray.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness my right wrist is killing me. I think I'll just leave this stuff to braves and _NJ for now on.

Am I the only one who thinks that's way too much stuff coming from back to back months? There are also a lot of duplicate stuffs like BD/DVD/LE/RE coming out. They also seem to be releasing both halves at the same time, which seems really strange; you might as well release a first run complete collection for, like, $90. I'm honestly hoping at least half of this stuff gets delayed.

Now then, for a more positive comment:
I'm shocked Funimation is allowed to release a Soul Eater BD this close the Japanese release. Either Japan really does let Funi get away with anything or they've finally gotten over their fear of reverse importation...who am I kidding, it's gotta be the former.

I'm very, very happy to see BDs are getting LE treatment.

I'm curious as to what the Classic Line packaging is. I guess it could still be Steelbook, but if they're going to be doing a lot of CL, then I doubt it. I think some nice digipaks like the Ouran BD should work well.

I guess SAVE Blu-rays are overstock on the first run blu-rays. Oh well, cheap BDs are always good in my book.

I hope all these simulataneous BD/DVD release are a staple of the industry now. No more of this DVD now and maybe a BD later stuff. Let us choose what we want, don't put us in a bind.

My Buy List right now looks like:
February:
Chrome Shelled Regios LE part 1
Summer Wars BD
Ga-Rei Zero BD LE
FLCL BD

March:
EVA 2.22 BD
Rosario + Vampire LE
Rideback LE
Soul Eater BD

Last edited by The King of Harts on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow..... I'm going to have to do my taxes early to get all of this good stuff:

Soul Eater 1 & 2 Blu Ray
Initial D Second Stage
Summer Wars Blu Ray

Maybe: Rideback and Eden of the East movies. I need to see these first before buying.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
2-I'm seeing some standard definition shows get the Blu-Ray treatment... What's the point of bringing something like, say Yu Yu Hakusho to Blu-Ray? That show was never mastered for any widescreen treatment. They'd not only have to chop up the aspect, but upscale it to boot.
I have no idea how Yu Yu was originally mastered, but Funi doesn't crop their 4:3 aspect ratio releases. You can see for yourself here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a lot of stuff. Here are the ones I'll eventually be getting (all my purchases will be DVD as opposed to Blu-ray and I don't think I'll bother with the LE versions):

Ga-Rei Zero
FLCL
Evangelion, Neon Genesis 2.2
Rosario+Vampire
Rosario+Vampire Capu2
Eden of the East Movie 1
Darker Than Black
Rideback
Soul Eater Part 1 + Part 2

I have no intention of getting these when the first come out. I'll wait until prices drop and TRSI does their sales thing.
silencer226

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
...And I just bought Soul Eater 1 and 2 on dvd... FUNIMATION, you suck... but thanks for Regios, Rosario, FLCL, Eden, Eva, Summer Wars and Excel Saga... I will double dip on Soul Eater but that will be the only anime I will ever do it for!

Definitely getting Eva, Regios, Summer Wars and Rosario on release (I know, I know, harem blah blah bad, whatever lol)

Last edited by silencer226 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, The King of Harts, for taking the time to post and link these upcoming releases.

Why Funimation? Why must you coincide these releases with the big games that are hitting the streets around the same time? These are all PlayStation 3 games I am planning to buy in Q1 2011: LittleBigPlanet 2, Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Definitely buying

Summer Wars, Blu-ray
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance, Blu-ray
Eden of the East Movie 1: King of Eden, Blu-ray
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Part 4, Blu-ray

On the fence about it

Chobits Complete Series, Blu-ray
FLCL Complete Series, Blu-ray

* Looks at wallet *
* Hopes Black Friday will not decimate wallet *
* Realizes everything I am going to eventually buy (including the PlayStation 3 games) are Blu-rays *
* Hopes for an upcoming TRSI Funimation sale *
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

Why Funimation? Why must you coincide these releases with the big games that are hitting the streets around the same time? These are all PlayStation 3 games I am planning to buy in Q1 2011: LittleBigPlanet 2, Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, Marvel vs Capcom 3.

I feel your pain... I have LBP2 CE on preorder, Dragon Age 2 as well, (waiting on MvC3 for a CE) and then one of my favorite gaming companies (NISA) decide to come out with Prinny 2, Disgaea 4, Neptunia, AND Ar Tonelico 3 all in the spring time v_v

2010 was a GREAT year for purchauses all around, and looks like 2011 is already jam packed with games and anime for me (PLUS I'm trying to play catch-up with some older series!) *whew*
B.K.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's a lot earlier for 2.22 than I was expecting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6