• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - D-Arts Terry Bogard

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, if you're reviewing what I think you're reviewing next month then you laid down some serious cash on a heap of diecast.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
So this figure's toes are jointed, but his ankles are not? Does this character never do a pointed toe kick, i.e., his kicks are always with the flat of his foot?

I don't know anything about the character or franchise (not well-versed in action figures in general), but the jointed toes piqued my curiosity. Smile Oh, and are those supposed to be his manly collar bones above his t-shirt neck? Smile
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So this figure's toes are jointed, but his ankles are not? Does this character never do a pointed toe kick, i.e., his kicks are always with the flat of his foot?

I don't know anything about the character or franchise (not well-versed in action figures in general), but the jointed toes piqued my curiosity. Smile Oh, and are those supposed to be his manly collar bones above his t-shirt neck? Smile

The ankles move, I just never had reason to use them. I actually checked all of these photos against King of Fighters 94 because that's the kind of fighting game nerd I am.

(NO IDEA WHAT EMERJE IS TALKING ABOUT BY THE WAY, GUYS, HAHAHA. HA. NO IDEA AT ALL)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I see. I've just never seen a figure with jointed toes before. That's kinda cool.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
I've heard the horror stories of the Rockman D-Arts. There were apparently a lot of cases of Zero's ponytail snapping off, etc. I was tempted but decided against them. However, I could not pass up Mewtwo. (Come on, look at my 10+ year-old nick!) Got 'im on pre-order. Hopefully he won't disappoint.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I wish you have a nice trip to Japan!

Terry is one of my fav vg characters as well, so I had to bought this. And I did.

Trying to be as neutral as possible, I disagree with you in some aspects. The smiling face that mine has is actually better than the prototype one, and I had no issues doing some of the poses I tried that are showcased in the back of the box. The special effect parts look good enough and even then I prefer to not use the big one because it hides the actual figure from view. Also, so far I didn't have any issues with the ponytail.

On the other hand, I do agree about the figure having too much difficulty standing up unless you have it in the trademark "grabbing my bag" pose, and the hole in the back being kinda inefficient. But at least they didn't ruin the star in the jacket. Also, the hair at the sides could have been better painted and they should have included an extra face without the hat for the reasons you state.

But seriously, this is not a bad figure at all. In today's world of anime-related merchandise I never expected that we'd get a posable Terry Bogard (considering he's old school) so maybe that's why I enjoyed it much more. It's accurate enough (even though it didn't even try to replicate the art style of the games, but I made peace with that before buying it) and the most important thing: it looks good on my shelf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1