• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Otakon Welcomes Back Vic Mignogna

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY, VIC HAS COME BACK TO BALTIMOOOOOOOOOORE!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Mediocrity will descend onto Baltimore such as we haven't seen since Peter S. Beagle!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Mediocrity will descend onto Baltimore such as we haven't seen since Peter S. Beagle!

Oh, you're coming?

Vic is one of our most-requested guests and we bring him every few years to please the thousands of fans who line up to see him. Don't like him? that's one less person in line ahead of someone for whom this made their day. Meanwhile he's making a living as an actor (tough thing to do for anyone), and is fulfilling a lifelong dream working in the Star Trek universe as well.

Peter has written dozens of perennially popular works, one of which was animated in Japan and continues to be a major draw nearly 30 years later. He comes because he likes our con and visits friends in town when he's here, and most years I barely get to say hello to him because he's signing nonstop all weekend.

I'm sorry, what is it, precisely, that bitter internet trolls bring to the table again?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
"Popular mid-tier VA and star of that Star Trek fan project nobody's interested in, Vic Mignogna!"

Hope you at least have better control of autograph sessions this year. I stood in line for hours for some surprisingly worthwhile guests last year (the few that were) and didn't get one autograph. I'd hate to see any of Vic's tone deaf Risembool Rangers to miss out on getting his autograph for the fortieth time. Maybe he'll even sign their Elricest doujins this time around if they pretend that he's good hard enough.

I'm really looking forward to authors of long forgotten children's books, fashion designers, and maybe a Power Ranger or two. Perhaps another cover designer? At least Vic is a voice actor, but maybe you aren't reaching for the stars enough. Sure you can't get the janitor at Sentai Filmworks? The accountant at Funimation? The guy who stocks the snack machines at Discotek?

Oh, and please put signs that tell people not to record a panel in more prominent areas, because sometimes somebody will arrive to a panel which they've said not to record at the beginning, late, long after they've said that, and not know because the sign was hidden behind a veil. And perhaps not having panels deep into the hotel might help, too. The trudge from one panel to the next is bad enough as it is.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
well this thread suddenly got interesting
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quit being a dick, Penguintruth. I know that's hard for you but if you can't at least try and talk like someone who has a baseline respect for others, I'm happy to give you a break from the pressure of posting on these forums.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm being a dick? Isn't it more like Mr. Vowles is being over sensitive? If I'm just some "troll", like he asserts, that surely I'm not worth engaging. I have geniune concern over the quality of Otakon's guests, which I have expressed ever since even before last year's, which I might add, I attended.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm being a dick? Isn't it more like Mr. Vowles is being over sensitive? If I'm just some "troll", like he asserts, that surely I'm not worth engaging. I have geniune concern over the quality of Otakon's guests, which I have expressed ever since even before last year's, which I might add, I attended.

Keep pushing, see what happens.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
haha, wow, Jim made me laugh out loud with the "So you'll be coming" comeback. Good stuff.

I'm not a huge Vic fan either, though he has done some good work, but seriously penguintruth sound like Vic beat him as a child or something. And honestly, I highly doubt your "Honest concern" for Otakon's guests outweigh the actual work Vowles does for the con.

Not every year at Otakon will they get the guests you want to come. No con can do that. If you let that ruin your time when you do go, then that's your own fault.

I'd choose Vic and Peter being there any day then having to listen to people yell "What time is it!" or any other inane BS that goes on.

That said, this will be my 6th or 7th Otakon I believe
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Currently Vic recently played the lead in the new Pokémon movie, as well as roles in G4's Wolverine and Iron Man series, and the original Mass Effect movie. He is currently playing roles in Tiger & Bunny, Digimon, Nura, Lagrange and several other series. Vic has also voiced roles in a large number of video games including Soul Calibur, Disgaea, Dynasty Warriors, Persona III, Sonic Colours, DBZ, Bleach, FMA and more.

So...does someone have some insider information saying that Vic is in Digimon Fusion...?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
I am not a Vic fan but there are certainly a lot of people who are. Personally I hope more people do stand in line for Vic, that would mean less people are standing in line for someone I am interested in. Wink

It's pretty early in terms of announcements. I am always most interested in Japanese guests, but with contracts and so forth those usually are announced much later. It's Otakon's 20th anniversary so I am sure they have some big things planned.

As for Peter S. Beagle, he's a great guest who always makes times for his fans. I am very happy to have my Last Unicorn book signed by him.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

How did you know I was coming to Otakon this year?

FWIW: got married... nobody calls me by my maiden name any more. It's "Mr. Mediocrity - Halycon" now, thank you.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'm really looking forward to authors of long forgotten children's books, .

For the record The Last Unicorn alone has sold over five million copies worldwide since its publication. This guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

_____

Sat in on a Vic event at Katsucon and the horde there to see him was one of the most enthused I'd ever seen. He's excellent at entertaining a crowd, so if you dig any of his work and haven't been before I would recommend going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1