• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OT Side-Thread [10 favorite and 5 least favorite anime]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote
Well, DKL suggested it:
There's a discussion in the "Sticky: 10 favorite and 5 least favorite anime? [Read first 2 Posts]" Thread which went off-topic. In order to prevent the thread from being locked, you could continue to post here Smile

The discussion starts at page 12, right here.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
I don't really see the point in making a new thread. I mean, couldn't we just keep posting in the old one? Threads that tend to go a litttle off topic don't really need to be subjected to the standards of "oh now, we're straying off the subject and now the thread will get locked."

It's OK if a thread doesn't stay totally consistent so long as someone goes back to the initial topic, eventually Smile.

EDIT: Corrected some typoes.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun May 22, 2005 12:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
OK, I know what you mean, but I like the original topic (about favorite and least favorite shows) and I find it annoying to look for it in between all the off-topic posts! Smile
Maybe I'm just lazy. Wink
I thought it was a good suggestion, so I opened a new thread. Who knows if anyone would ever go back on-topic... Anime smile + sweatdrop
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think this is a good idea, is it may promote a lot of discussion. I would re-name this thread something else, though, so people who may not have read the debate in the sticky will know what's up. I'd also include a question in the first post, smutchi. Something like "Do you think people are being entirely honest when they list their favorite anime?"

As for me, I stand by what I said in the sticky thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
wait, isn't the question:

"Do you think people are being entirely honest when they list their LEAST favorite anime?"

yes! we saved the other thread *sort of*

anyway, I'm actually in the middle of both sides now

some people really did back the stuff up, but then sometimes it feels sort cynical, like, they'd rather hammer their fingers than watch the show or something

also, I need to ask again, does having a bitter reaction from it make a show you don't like worse?

I remember seeing this movie once with a bunch of friends, we had to see it for school work, the thing is, it kinda pissed us off because we had to do it over the vacation and we just ended up making a lot of noise in the movie theatre

and went out saying "worst movie ever"

but when I look back on it, it wasn't really that bad... you know?

well... that's what I'm getting at *I think*
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Like before, some people here aren't honest with their ratings at all. They rate an anime with "Worst, Awful" because they can't accept the fact that the anime they hated has a high rating and is listed in the top 50 and the anime they like didn't even reach top 50 or something like that. So then they search for a good anime then watch it without even understanding what makes that anime good, then give it a very, really, unreasonable low rating. (To be honest, I have that problem 5 years ago, that's year 2000 Embarassed , I bet some peeps here had gone to this sort of problem too) If you wan't to see the true meaning of "worst ever, awful", go watch an anime with a really worst ever rating. I guess most otakus haven't seen or encountered "one of the most awful (back up with bad opinions that is accepted by lots and lots of people)".

Sure they won't like every series, but giving a really good series with that kind of rating is just "bull$#!+"

I won't give you a sample since you're already in this site, go search for yourselves.
msi435

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
Like before, some people here aren't honest with their ratings at all. They rate an anime with "Worst, Awful" because they can't accept the fact that the anime they hated has a high rating and is listed in the top 50 and the anime they like didn't even reach top 50 or something like that. So then they search for a good anime then watch it without even understanding what makes that anime good, then give it a very, really, unreasonable low rating. (To be honest, I have that problem 5 years ago, that's year 2000 Embarassed , I bet some peeps here had gone to this sort of problem too) If you wan't to see the true meaning of "worst ever, awful", go watch an anime with a really worst ever rating. I guess most otakus haven't seen or encountered "one of the most awful (back up with bad opinions that is accepted by lots and lots of people)".

Sure they won't like every series, but giving a really good series with that kind of rating is just "bull$#!+"

I won't give you a sample since you're already in this site, go search for yourselves.

There is a famous saying that goes something like this "The more you embrace the light, the greater the shadows will grow around you." So in other words the more popular an anime gets the more people will hate it and rate it low. That’s part of being a popular anime, you can't change that. Who cares what other people think, if you honestly think pokemon is a masterpiece (hypothetically speaking...), then that’s all that counts. Ratings mean nothing, there only ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree with msi435 in that ratings are just ratings. I know I don't agree with Gundam SEED getting a 69% on animeacademy while Fullmoon wo Sagashite gets an 84%. The latter may be argued to have a superior plot, but the animation, art quality, and music really can't compete with SEED's.
Quote:
There is a famous saying that goes something like this "The more you embrace the light, the greater the shadows will grow around you." So in other words the more popular an anime gets the more people will hate it and rate it low.
There was an Ask John column recently about why there may be backlash against Naruto, and according to John's hypothesis, people may be starting to dislike it becuase it is gaining popularity. Some fans might just want to be in their own little fan group and will dislike anime that beomes too popular.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I know it's just some rating but what I'm trying to say is, worst, awful, bad? "Why can't they be honest?"

Oh well, doesn't matter anymore anyway since I remembered that I was once one of those "I 'm not honest" type too, and they're doing it just to blow some steam up (Majin Buu style).
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
it's apparently very hard to not somehow be influenced by an external source

regardless of what we think of ratings though, for some reason we are drawn to them *we may not even really realize it sometimes*

there's really no ONE system to judge what is good and what is bad...

but the thing is, when you have a set of things you don't like... sometimes, I think that people should spend some more time gauging this...

like how we carefully group our favorite stuff... we need to think harder about it *too bad this sounds like a lot of work... but take it into consideration*

like again, my theatre fiasco

we were pretty angry about having to go see it, so we all hated it initially *it's one of those high profile movies*

but I sat down and thought about it, and realized that I was probably too harsh, in fact, there are a TON of movies that are FAR FAR FAR worse, it's just, I didn't get pissed off while/after watching it *by things that are not a part of the movie*

which in the end, results in me disliking this show a lot less than the other one

so it could be, that your current mood *caused by an EXTERNAL force* has something to do with gauging how much you would dislike something, but then that impression carries on every time you see it...

I sort of feel that people experience this some times *me included*

but then, this isn't really judgement based on the actual show

although, sometimes, there's the thing where people don't like it because of the THEME... at this point, I have no way about going around this

did that make any sense? *hopefully*
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1