• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Clarifies Tenchi License

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Ok, so they don't have the Mihoshi Special or Pretty Sammy OVAs. Dammit Mad
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:

I recently picked up the DVD for those at my local pawn shop for a little under $4. It normally goes for ten times that. Can you say "score"?
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
I didn't know we were ever under the assumption they did have it all. I kind of already thought they didn't have the Mihoshi special and the other miscellaneous little things. Huh.

I'm hoping they do nab them eventually though, that and Dual! since it's kinda related.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

I'm hoping they do nab them eventually though, that and Dual! since it's kinda related.

I like Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure better than any Tenchi series, actually.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote

They also need Magical Project S (the 26 episode remake of the OVA), which Pioneer released sub-only. It desperately needs a dub.

FUNi STILL doesn't have my favorite Tenchi episode (the Mihoshi special), unless it's not mentioned here for some reason.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

FUNi does have the Pretty Sammy OVAs. That's what is mentioned here.

Sasami: Magical Girls Club and Pretty Sammy are not the same series. The show that they have is this failure.
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
The list is actually wrong...

They have all 3 movies. They just released them...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Sasami: Magical Girls Club and Pretty Sammy are not the same series. The show that they have is this failure.

Sorry, my bad. ;Anime smile
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

They don't have Magical Project S though (the 26 episode remake of the OVA), which sucks, because Pioneer released it sub-only. It desperately needs a dub.

FUNi STILL doesn't have my favorite Tenchi episode (the Mihoshi special), unless it's not mentioned here for some reason.
I believe you may have misread the list.
Sasami: Magical Girls Club and Pretty Sammy are separate series/spin-offs. Funimation only has the rights to Sasami: Magical Girls Club. The Pretty Sammy OVAs, Magical Project S, and the Mihoshi Special are the only ones (that I'm recalling or seeing off of ANN's Encyclopedia) that they haven't licensed.

EDIT: And NJ_ clarified this before I could, so I guess this is semi-pointless. XP
But to add a different point, I wouldn't be surprised, if before too long, Funimation picks up the three that are missing. At least if Tenchi continues to be such a high seller for them, which I'd like to think it is.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They also need Magical Project S (the 26 episode remake of the OVA), which Pioneer released sub-only. It desperately needs a dub.

I would really love for it to get a dub, being one of my favorite parts of the Tenchi franchise, but I don't see it ever happening. It was never dubbed in the first place because the Pretty Sammy part of the franchise sold badly. So, I don't see FUNi getting it either. There may not even be much of a market for a sub-only re-release, since those Pioneer collections were around for a while (the second one is still plentily available at RightStuf, over ten years after release).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
FUNi did pick up (and dub) Sasami: Magical Girls Club, which (I think) is even more obscure than Magical Project S. They even got it before they had much of the Tenchi franchise. Anything is possible. Magical Project S has developed a small cult following, and I think a re-release with a dub just might work. FUNi has even said that they are looking at "other Tenchi properties". Other than the Mihoshi special, all that's left are the Pretty Sammy stuff.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
Dam no love for Photon. Its also related to Tenchi like Dual but far far rarer, and better than dual, but not as good as Tenchi.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
MarcFBR wrote:
The list is actually wrong...

They have all 3 movies. They just released them...

It seems that Funimation did release the three movies as a Blu-ray/DVD collection last month.
I have not seen it myself but both Right Stuf and Amazon show it as being in stock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
Isn't El Hazard part of the Tenchi universe? Hmm I guess the series just reference Tenchi but thats it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Isn't El Hazard part of the Tenchi universe? Hmm I guess the series just reference Tenchi but thats it?

It's mostly just through the teacher connection, but Photon and Agga Ruter being Kajishima creations more than likely tie them closer to the Tenchiverse than El Hazard does. It would be nice if FUNi went ahead and packaged all of El Hazard into a single set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3