Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Royale Reviewed in Playboy


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
slickwataris



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 1334
Location: Carol Stream, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Didn't expect that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 1713
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
If this occurred in any other place, I'd be ok, but I call this negative press since it is Playboy (Playboy is a good magazine mind you depending on whos in it). This is because of the fact that the people who don't watch anime assume all anime is the hentai stuff (since thats what most anime fans talk about when around other non-amime fans it seems)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
slickwataris



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 1334
Location: Carol Stream, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
If this occurred in any other place, I'd be ok, but I call this negative press since it is Playboy (Playboy is a good magazine mind you depending on whos in it). This is because of the fact that the people who don't watch anime assume all anime is the hentai stuff (since thats what most anime fans talk about when around other non-amime fans it seems)


But isn't Battle Royale for mature readers anyway?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 1713
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes it is, but in an adult magazine that more than likely has a very small percentage of readers who watch anime
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
AzuNinja



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Posts: 16
Location: Southside of the Westside! FO SHO!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
If this occurred in any other place, I'd be ok, but I call this negative press since it is Playboy (Playboy is a good magazine mind you depending on whos in it). This is because of the fact that the people who don't watch anime assume all anime is the hentai stuff (since thats what most anime fans talk about when around other non-amime fans it seems)


It's just some publicity about a book. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minakichan



Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 1101
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes it is, but in an adult magazine that more than likely has a very small percentage of readers who watch anime


Hey, if they put a nude BloodRayne in the mag, then I would think there's a possibility that it has some "otaku" readership...But that's just a guess.

I'm not a "mature reader" (both figuratively and literally), but I think this could be OK. Battle Royale, as I understand, is more violence than sex anyway (...and that's good? *selfsmack), so I think this promotes anime and manga. And those people who DO think anime=omgevilpron won't say anything about this because most likely, THEY aren't the ones reading Playboy.

My 2 cents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haiseikoh 1973



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 1590
Location: Waiting for the Japanese 1000 Gunieas.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Didn't expect that.


Well, you have a legit reason on "reading the articles" in Playboy. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Patachu
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 1325
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The review states, "2005 is manga's year state-side. If you're interested in cultivating a fairly inexpensive addiction, we recommend starting with this graphic novel...


Gee, I thought 2004 was the year of manga. Rolling Eyes Or maybe before that, when 2003 was the year of manga. Or maybe it was 2002 ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
madpierrot



Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... isn't the Battle Royale mange in the mid-teens now? Playboy seems a bit too late to just start to look over it and review volume 1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kagemusha



Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Quote:
The review states, "2005 is manga's year state-side. If you're interested in cultivating a fairly inexpensive addiction, we recommend starting with this graphic novel...


Gee, I thought 2004 was the year of manga. Rolling Eyes Or maybe before that, when 2003 was the year of manga. Or maybe it was 2002 ...

Well at least 2005 seems to be showing more diversity than the endless onslaught of shojo that was 2004; now we have the endless onslaught of shonen. But seriously, the fact that Viz is willing to take a chance and release Sexy Voice and Robo is a very good sign.
Anyways, I haven't read Playboy since I was 14, and even then I don't know if you could call that "reading". A select number of mangas are reaching larger audiences than anime/manga/comicbook fans, but up until this point it had mostly been "classic" works like Buddha or Akira. I'll bet Battle Royale only got in there because of the film's growing infamy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada



Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 981
Location: Easton, PA, USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
AzuNinja wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:
If this occurred in any other place, I'd be ok, but I call this negative press since it is Playboy (Playboy is a good magazine mind you depending on whos in it). This is because of the fact that the people who don't watch anime assume all anime is the hentai stuff (since thats what most anime fans talk about when around other non-amime fans it seems)


It's just some publicity about a book. Confused


Um, yeah a manga (not a book) and it's in an adult magazine. Yeah, this'll really get people to believe there's more to anime than just lolicon and hentai.

And why did they call collecting manga an "inexpensive addiction"? I wouldn't call paying $10.00 each for dozens (or even hundreds) of GNs inexpensive. Next they'll probably review Dragonball Z and say that the entire 70+ DVD collection (plus the 13 movies and uncut releases of Eps. 1-67) and say that's fairly cheap. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
andrael



Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
And why did they call collecting manga an "inexpensive addiction"? I wouldn't call paying $10.00 each for dozens (or even hundreds) of GNs inexpensive.

I think they mean cheap compared to, say, cocaine. Not that I would know. Rolling Eyes Plus manga is much cheaper than anime DVDs, which is precisely why when trying out a new series or collecting a long-running series, I almost always buy the manga rather than the anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AzuNinja



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Posts: 16
Location: Southside of the Westside! FO SHO!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
AzuNinja wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:
If this occurred in any other place, I'd be ok, but I call this negative press since it is Playboy (Playboy is a good magazine mind you depending on whos in it). This is because of the fact that the people who don't watch anime assume all anime is the hentai stuff (since thats what most anime fans talk about when around other non-amime fans it seems)


It's just some publicity about a book. Confused


Um, yeah a manga (not a book) and it's in an adult magazine. Yeah, this'll really get people to believe there's more to anime than just lolicon and hentai.

And why did they call collecting manga an "inexpensive addiction"? I wouldn't call paying $10.00 each for dozens (or even hundreds) of GNs inexpensive. Next they'll probably review Dragonball Z and say that the entire 70+ DVD collection (plus the 13 movies and uncut releases of Eps. 1-67) and say that's fairly cheap. Rolling Eyes


Manga=Book. Confused

WHO [expletive] CARES WHERE THEY REVIEW BATTLE ROYALLE?

Seriously. Playboy is the nicest, most highclass "magazine" that get's published. It is a HIGH-CLASS magazine, who CARES if they reviewed a BOOK?

Manga hasn't had a stigma attached for YEARS, as somebody said above. EVERYONE reads it, not just losers on teh intarweb. This all roots from a deep seeded "need" for something for people to call their "own".

I find it selfish, and you should be disgusted that you are upset over the review of a book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
AzuNinja wrote:


Manga=Book. Confused


No, manga = comic in any form, not necessarily a book. Graphic novel = book.

Quote:
WHO [expletive] CARES WHERE THEY REVIEW BATTLE ROYALLE?

Seriously. Playboy is the nicest, most highclass "magazine" that get's published. It is a HIGH-CLASS magazine, who CARES if they reviewed a BOOK?


Playboy is porn. There is no such thing as high class porn. Playboy is the nicest, most highclass magazine? You must be joking.

Quote:
Manga hasn't had a stigma attached for YEARS, as somebody said above. EVERYONE reads it, not just losers on teh intarweb. This all roots from a deep seeded "need" for something for people to call their "own".


You should try leaving your little hole sometime. Manga and anime have had and still do have stigma attached to them. Not everyone reads it. Go somewere and ask random people if they read manga. Most of them probably won't even know what manga is, much less read it.

Quote:
I find it selfish, and you should be disgusted that you are upset over the review of a book.


I find your post stupid and arrogant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
radicaledward



Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Posts: 776
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Playboy is porn. There is no such thing as high class porn. Playboy is the nicest, most highclass magazine? You must be joking.
Eh, that's a bit of a stretch. More often than not (or at least the last time I read a Playboy, about a year ago) the nudity in Playboy isn't necessarily meant to be titillating and as such can't really be considered in the same arena as what most people consider to be pornography.

With that said though, Playboy is about par with the British equivalent to some popular US men’s magazines (e.g. Maxim, FHM).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group