• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favourite Furuba Character (Manga)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's Your Favourite?
Tohru
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Kyo
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Yuki
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Shigure
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Kagura
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Hatori
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Momiji
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Hatsuharu
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Ayame
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Kisa
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Hiro
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ritsu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Isuzu (Rin)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Kureno
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Akito
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Uo-chan
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Hana-chan
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Kyoko Honda
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Kakeru Manabe
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Kuragi Machi
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 47

HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Ayame, for obvious reasons. He's so flamboyant and ever-so-much-fun. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80in2gCnqm0

Anime hyper

Manabe's a close second for similar reasons. Smile
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Kyo's always been my favorite, ever since the beginning. Hence my username. Razz

Ayame was also loads of fun though. I liked anime Shigure, but after the manga continued on, I found myself liking Shigure a lot less.

Hanajima was another favorite. Scary girls are cool. And I liked her devotion of Tohru.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I was fondest of Hanajima (among the ladies). She had such a tragic past. Sad Fortunately, Tohru redeemed her, among others.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm sometimes confused as to why the heroes/heroines don't get chosen more often for these types of polls. The show is nothing without a good main character for all of the "personalities" to play off of, and Tohru is a great main character. Wonderfully odd, great back story, helps everyone in her own ways, but is wonderfully vulnerable too- a great mix of characteristics. If she has a flaw its that the expectations I had for her weren't met- but that was more that the expectations I had for the story weren't met. I always figured she'd play a larger role in the resolution of the story, it's what she was trying to do, instead the whole astrology system mainly justspoiler[ fell apart on its own.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'm sometimes confused as to why the heroes/heroines don't get chosen more often for these types of polls. The show is nothing without a good main character for all of the "personalities" to play off of, and Tohru is a great main character. Wonderfully odd, great back story, helps everyone in her own ways, but is wonderfully vulnerable too- a great mix of characteristics. If she has a flaw its that the expectations I had for her weren't met- but that was more that the expectations I had for the story weren't met. I always figured she'd play a larger role in the resolution of the story, it's what she was trying to do, instead the whole astrology system mainly justspoiler[ fell apart on its own.]

Mmm, Takaya Natsuki did mention how Ritsu didn't get much page time. Sad

Regarding spoiler[the astrology/curse imploding upon itself, I think it was more of a metaphor of how spending time away from each other is part of spending time together, a theme that reverberates through the entire series.

Humans made the curse up, and the final chapter of volume 22 is meant to be a fable, I think.

Perhaps the most tragic aspect of the story is that if Honda's mother had not died, Akito's heart would never have melted, and Kyo would have lived and died in a prison worse than solitary confinement.]
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
This was a really, really hard choice. It was a toss up between Tohru, Momiji, and Kyoko. In the end I decided on Momiji though because he's just so fun and lovable!! How could anyone not love Momiji? He's very similar to Tohru in that they are both very optimistic and cheerful, and both shoulder the burdens of those around them.

What really clinched it for me was when I read about Momiji's spoiler[mother and younger sister.] Pretty much all of the backstories of the people possessed by the Zodiac spirits are sad, but this one made me cry. It's really incredible that Momiji can still be so upbeat and positive after the trauma of having spoiler[ his mom reject him, saying she wished he was never born, and then her forgetting that he was ever her child.] Tohru lost her mom, but she still had her memories of the happy times they had together. Momiji spoiler[ 'lost' his mother and for the most part only had memories of bitter rejection and heartbreaking loneliness. And what pushed it over the edge for me was when adorable little Momo, not being aware that Momiji and her were related, asked him to be her older brother! After the rending story about his mother, this heartwarming moment had me bawling to a degree that I've reached in only 2 other anime. ]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, I'm pretty sure when I voted for Tohru I was the first to do so (hence, the stated confusion) and the rest of the votes were about the same as they are now.

that's quite a stark difference now, and no comments added since the flood of Tohru votes started. A little odd there. I guess people are coming here to vote on the polls... but not commenting on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Ya, one of the biggest things that a series can do to get my respect is to make the main character the most interesting/deep character. It seems to me that a lot of anime/manga PURPOSEFULLY make the most "interesting" or mysterious character not the lead because it is very difficult to keep a higher level of writing going constantly, and if the favorite is the main, you have no choice in the matter but to keep following that character (unless you pull a Burst Angel and switch the main character part way through).
If the most complex character is a supporting character, then whenever you feel you might be overusing their mystery or you are running out of good ideas for the next character development, instead of going the hard but rewarding road of taking the time and energy to plan something else, you can just cut them out of the next couple episodes until you think up something to happen next.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Ayame, for obvious reasons. He's so flamboyant and ever-so-much-fun. Smile

I agree!
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I gotta give it to sneaky ol' Shigure, even after finishing the manga. Although I was also oddly fond of Kakeru - I really loved how his friendship with Yuki developed in the latter half of the story.
FullTilt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Aww, no love for Momiji? He's adorable, super peppy, and always so supportive of everyone. Plus every time he showed up he made me laugh out loud! (*everyone's sad about something, or fighting* *Momiji walks in* "LOLLIPOPS FOR EVERYONE, NYA~")

And... his backstory made me weep. Embarassed

(Plus I love bunnies!! :3)
Little Flower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
OMG , It's too hard!
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, being a cat person, I'm semi-obligated to say "Kyo", but Momiji is also adorably awesome, Ayame is wonderfully flamboyant, Shigure is a manipulative bastard, and Tohru is sweet without being annoying.
I guess there are few characters I really dislike (umm, probably the student council members, they weren't highly favorable with me since they were clearly spoiler[a set up as a consolation prize once it was obvious Yuki wouldn't get Tohru], but some were fine (the silent girl and her brother), the two less important to the plot ones were only so so for me)
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Whoa, I'm pretty sure when I voted for Tohru I was the first to do so (hence, the stated confusion) and the rest of the votes were about the same as they are now.

that's quite a stark difference now, and no comments added since the flood of Tohru votes started. A little odd there. I guess people are coming here to vote on the polls... but not commenting on them.

Their has been no comments because the flood of votes for Tohru are mostly spam-bots.

And I voted for Momoji because he's just too adorable.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, obviously. It was around the time that I made that comment that the spam-bot problem was being realized. I really wish we could just clear and repost the polls that were made without a spambot option. If I was the author of any of them I would have asked a mod to lock the thread and redone it immediately. The Sub/Dub poll in particular should be redone, it doesn't tell you a thing.

[Well, boy howdy. Look what asking about it has done!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2