• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Heartwarming Marriage Proposals

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Toradora and Clannad have my two favorite marriage proposals, hands down. Heartfelt and downright adorable! Anime cry
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Even as a Dragon Ball fan, I have to question the inclusion of Goku and Chi Chi, the most platonicly unromantic marriage ever seen. Laughing I mean, it is a kind of cute moment, but...I dunno. I've never really thought of it as particularly 'heartwarming' enough to make any lists.

But it's your list, not mine, so I can't really complain either. Razz

Wait, I think I may have figured out how it made the list. Was this off of the dub version of that moment at all? I don't want to be 'that guy', because I do like the dub of DB and DBZ, but...that one moment is the one that I throw my arms up in the air in defeat the most. I seem to recall it having Goku say something like 'I may not remember that...but my heart does.' Awwwww, heart strings tug tug tu - wait, that's not Goku at all... The original version has him saying something more akin to 'Did I say that? Well, I guess if I did then, we should get married', like he's just resigning himself to his fate.

Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I love the way Hachimaki's spur-of-the-moment proposal didn't cause Tanabe to even think about it. She just quickly responded 'Un' even knowing it would end their little game of shiratori. Was an absolutely wonderful scene depicted by Yukimura in the manga and one of the very few things that the last few episodes of the anime was able to adapt correctly.

That said, I'm not sure it's my favorite. There's a proposal somewhat late on in Cross Game between spoiler[Azuma's brother Junpei and the oldest Tsukishima Ichiyou] that is just so dorky and clumsy that I can't help but love it. And then spoiler[Ichiyou's] response to the requirements for marriage and her eventual decision just makes it really great in my opinion.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I was just happy to see Edward and Winry make the list <3

<3 my fav couple<3
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Great list! I loved the 1 and 2 spots but I would have definitely switched them.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing I like about Brotherhood more than the first FMA...

spoiler[
Ed-I'll give half my life to you if you give half of yours to me!!

Winry-Nonsense. I'll give you my whole life! ]
>////<

Ed and Winry are so sickeningly cute together. And the photo with their spoiler[kids]~~

As for favorite Otome games...well none since I've never played them. Of the six I tried to watch, I've never finished them and none of them left me with fond memories. Maybe La Corda D'Oro - primo passo since that was 'mainly' about music or perhaps Hakuōki since that had the Shinsengumi, but I prefer the prequel without the heroine...what's her face.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
No Hinata and Yui from Angel Beats? that was the first place my mind went when I read the title.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The top three are definitely tops for me as well, love them all as well. Well I might put Ed/Winry at number one but I admit that is just a bias as I followed the series for so many years.

And Madoka/Godai is one of the best developed romances in anime for me so again that just felt entirely satisfying when it finally happened.

I am not really sure if you will call it a marriage proposal per say but I also love in Princess Tutu spoiler[Rue and Mythos] ending.

And finally because I am guessing it was not seen by Lynzee but I think anyone who saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes would agree with me about spoiler[Federica and Yang]. Actually it reminded me a bit of the awkwardness of Ed & Winry.

And another classic from Rose of Versailles spoiler[Oscar and Andre]. It was a long wait but totally worth it.

Finally I will second Hinata & Yui from Angel Beats, one of the most touching scenes from that series & the one mentioned from Cross Game.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
My favorite (LOGH spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptR8gQAeK0E

spoiler[It was just so cute and in character for him. Yang is my favorite character in the show.]
txMaddog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I also second Hinata & Yui from Angel Beats, was a very touching moment.

What about spoiler[Chane and Claire (aka Vino)] from Baccano! Some people found the train top proposal romantic but I prefer the re-proposal in the warehouse, it felt more 'real'.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
This article and the Maison Ikkoku scene made me reminiscent of Fire Tripper and its conclusion, and the countless times I watched that particular vhs tape back in the day.

An OVA from Takahashi's earlier period. Official copies might be a bit hard to find by now and might require you to have a vhs-player, but fansubbed you can find all the Takahashi OVAs in laserdisc-quality, including this.
Time may not have been particularly kind to it, but it's still a definite watch for any Takahashi fan, along with Laughing Target which reels along similar sentiments.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
And finally because I am guessing it was not seen by Lynzee but I think anyone who saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes would agree with me about spoiler[Federica and Yang]. Actually it reminded me a bit of the awkwardness of Ed & Winry.

Oh yeah, definitely on that one. spoiler[Reinhard and Hilda's] was about as awkward, too, though for...different reasons. Very Happy
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
No Hinata and Yui from Angel Beats? that was the first place my mind went when I read the title.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Hear, hear. Smile
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Oh yeah, definitely on that one. spoiler[Reinhard and Hilda's] was about as awkward, too, though for...different reasons. Very Happy

I actually have not reached this one in the series yet, currently making my way through the third season.

I've already guessed and have been spoiled about it though so I've been looking forward to when it finally happens. Smile
Zerozap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Cries. No Gurren Lagann?
Such a heartfelt marriage proposal with such a dorky response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3