• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Let's take a minute to remember the gearheads: Calling all Mecha fans.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I got completely destroyed in a trivia game earlier today. It got me thinking about the pit crews in mecha series. And since trivia failures are solved with research and the best precursor to research is to ask around on the internet HERE GOES!Smile

Let's think of some mecha series where the hero's mechas had a dedicated team of established characters who service them. I'll explain the rules further.

1) One head technician and an army of faceless engineers don't count. The team needs to be made up of at least a few established NPCs.
2) If there's only one technician but then he dies and gets replaced by one more person it doesn't count. Because that's still not a team at any given point in time.
3) To define mecha for the purposes of this topic: Must be bigger than a human. Can be controlled by an internal pilot. Fantasy or sci-fi is ok. Power suits and the like are ok so long as they increase the overall size of the pilot by a notable amount.

Sky Girls and Godannar are both sufficient examples.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Patlabor is the best example I can think of for this. The mechanics and other technicians make up the bulk of the employees at SV2, and Shigeo, one of the top mechanics, gets a decent amount of screen time and even some entire episodes devoted to him. Sakaki, the chief mechanic carries a ton of influence and power. Maybe you don't know every since nameless mechanic, but they're shown often and they have a great collective personality, like when they get hungry.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Majestic Prince comes to mind. All 5 five pilots each have a dedicated crew servicing their mech.
-Fat Otaku only interested in 2D women
-A family: A Father, his son, and his son's young daughter
-ripped, good looking dudes
-attractive, good looking ladies
-3 seemingly normal friends

a few crews have had some minimal focus in the show, but for now, they are largely unexplored
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1