• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dressing Down

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
I know Kakurenbo is cool, but seeing it at SICAF this year really dredged up my wish that the US anime DVD industry was a US animation DVD industry. Kakurenbo was cool, but many of the other entries were so much cooler (especially
The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello). Yet they'll probably never see a US DVD release simply because they're not Japanese. It's a shame.

I can't wait to see Ghost Stories. Speaking as a big fan of Shinesman, it sounds like a blast. And Samurai 7 will be one of my first purchases next time I'm in Japan or the States.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
With all of the hoopla that Ghost Stories is getting, I now have to rent it and see what the big deal is. Confused

I plan on buying Gilgamesh when ADV (hopefully) releases it in thin-pack format.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Family Guy FTW

Poor sakechan. She needs deanimezation or something. *huuug*

Good to see the Perishable Item bin full again.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Good to see the Perishable Item bin full again.

Somehow that doesn't seem like it should be a good thing. And yet, it is. Reading Bamboo's comments about the terrible stuff that she has to watch is one of the best parts of the column.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, fear not. Even if you can't be saved from your alarmingly rising levels of nerdiness (along with the rest of fandom), you are not alone. I have found that I, too, have replaced the word "dress up" with "cosplay," totally subconciously. And I say it in completely wrong contexts, too. To people who have no idea what I'm talking about. Seriously. I have to succumb to their blank, inquisitve stares before I realize what I said. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Twage wrote:
I know Kakurenbo is cool, but seeing it at SICAF this year really dredged up my wish that the US anime DVD industry was a US animation DVD industry.

A feeling I share as well. Fortunately for things like The Animation Show and other collections put out by smaller companies, a small sample of the amazing world of short animation is available to US audiences. It's true, though, that festivals are really the only outlet for that amazing work. Such a shame. Sad

Oh, and one last thing:
Quote:
Eat too many and the bowel demons will come out and bloody shank you.

HAHAHA! Pure genius. I think shanks need to be brought up much more often in daily conversation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vukir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Please tell me I’m not alone in this. Please tell me I can still be saved.

Alone? Not a chance. I know all to many people who have refferenced school uniforms as "Costumes". Salvation? That I don't know about. Anime smile

I think I will have to check out Gilgamesh. I have always been a sucker for real good art work. But as Biliano said, getting it if ADV releases it in a thin-pck would be best. That is, if it ever comes to that.

Oh, and I agree... Shanks just don't get enough conversation time anymore. Anime smile
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, it’s all fun and games while you’re eating it, but SURPRISE!!!! Eat too many and the bowel demons will come out and bloody shank you.

This made me laugh so hard I nearly started choking.
Rion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Im really happy that Gilgamesh made shelf worthy, with Vol3 now out, the show is really taking a interesting turn. That was a really nice and full review you gave it bamboo. Masahiko MURATA is a anime director i really love the work of, the episodes he did for Lain were really something....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
i still enjoy watching Girls Bravo and Daphne....

either i'm a perv or i just enjoy most anime...or both
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
What was with the Jesus comment in the Ghost Stories commentary?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
What was with the Jesus comment in the Ghost Stories commentary?

*chuckle* Monica Rial's character is a Jesus freak. One of the first lines she utters is, "Have you accepted Jesus as your personal savior?"

Edit - Holy crap, there was a giant typo/brain fart in that sentence I originally wrote. No wonder that quote didn't make a damned bit of sense!!!

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ADV releases it in a thin-pck would be best.

I hate to sound like a noob to anime which I feel that I'm not. But what is a thin-pack?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
think pak is the really thin dvd case. ADV released full boxed sets of RahXephon and FMP! in thinpak, so the boxed set is actually quite narrow. Excellent thing is that those boxed sets usually sell for $50 to $70 instead of $120 or $150. They also take up less room on your shelf so you have room for even MORE anime Wink.

The collector's tin artbox for Stellvia contains thinpaks for the DVDs, but Geneon was really even more clever in that each thinpak is a dual thinpak, so you end up fitting 8 volumes in 4 thinpaks, making my entire stellvia collection (when it's completed) thinner in width on my shelf than my RahXephon collectors boxed set (ADV thinpak).

<3 thinpaks!!
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
LOL.

Bamboo's played Let's Meow Meow (AKA Minna de Nyan Nyan), aswell.

That game was pretty fun. >__>
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
think pak is the really thin dvd case. ADV released full boxed sets of RahXephon and FMP! in thinpak, so the boxed set is actually quite narrow. Excellent thing is that those boxed sets usually sell for $50 to $70 instead of $120 or $150. They also take up less room on your shelf so you have room for even MORE anime Wink.

The collector's tin artbox for Stellvia contains thinpaks for the DVDs, but Geneon was really even more clever in that each thinpak is a dual thinpak, so you end up fitting 8 volumes in 4 thinpaks, making my entire stellvia collection (when it's completed) thinner in width on my shelf than my RahXephon collectors boxed set (ADV thinpak).

<3 thinpaks!!

Ok, thanks. I guess the means orphen season 2 is thin pack but I don't remember if that's ADV or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2