• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay: Bleach's Byakuya Kuchiki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Uh-uh..

Call me overly judgmental for this, but something about this one just feels off. The costume is right. The hair is almost right, and the scenery is perfect.

I think what's killing the image are....the cheeks. Too chubby. Byakuya is practically just as skinny as Gin.

It almost sort of reminds me of those GOD-AWFUL Kagura cosplays where you have 400-pound women cosplaying as Kagura....
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I think what's killing the image are....the cheeks. Too chubby. Byakuya is practically just as skinny as Gin.

I think your right. The cosplayer seems to have an egg-shaped face, yet the reference photo has Byakuya face as more of a....turnip shape.
maus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote
Nice costume, nice background, nice hair. It's a shame the face doesn't match.
gothung

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Am I looking at the same picture as you guys?

All I see is a person who resembles Byakuya, and a whole lot of garden. Granted, I'm sure it's a very NICE garden, but that's not the point. You don't hardly see the actual costume at all, save for a headshot, the scarf, and one side of a hand, and even then the hair doesn't look right.

Byakuya can still see through his bangs, he's not emo and has half his face covered from the light of day (although you folks have provided the likely reasons why her face is intentionally covered). And is that hair draped over her shoulder and down the front? Did Byakuya suddenly grow out his hair too? I'm probably nitpicking, but I can't help it if that's all I can see.
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
gothung wrote:
Am I looking at the same picture as you guys?

All I see is a person who resembles Byakuya, and a whole lot of garden. Granted, I'm sure it's a very NICE garden, but that's not the point. You don't hardly see the actual costume at all, save for a headshot, the scarf, and one side of a hand, and even then the hair doesn't look right.

Byakuya can still see through his bangs, he's not emo and has half his face covered from the light of day (although you folks have provided the likely reasons why her face is intentionally covered). And is that hair draped over her shoulder and down the front? Did Byakuya suddenly grow out his hair too? I'm probably nitpicking, but I can't help it if that's all I can see.

Er. People take cosplay pics to look artistic and relevant to their characters. Therefore obviously Byakuya would be place around cherry blossoms. A similar confusion was brought up with Black Lagoon cosplay with Revy but again the picture is more about being artistic to the character. I like a person just standing there so I can admire their costume like the next person but I also appreciate when they try to place themselves within an appropriate environment to their character.

I highly doubt (very highly) that this was done to cover up her face. Most who cosplay don't have the face of an anime character (severe angular faces, yeah that's realistic). I'm sorry she didn't get facial surgery for her cosplay. Obviously she isn't truly dedicated /sarc
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sorry she didn't get facial surgery for her cosplay.

If you're going to apologize for something, at least do it for the right thing. She should have asked an artist to draw her instead of taking a picture.

Kids these days...
gothung

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Er. People take cosplay pics to look artistic and relevant to their characters. Therefore obviously Byakuya would be place around cherry blossoms. A similar confusion was brought up with Black Lagoon cosplay with Revy but again the picture is more about being artistic to the character. I like a person just standing there so I can admire their costume like the next person but I also appreciate when they try to place themselves within an appropriate environment to their character.

Your point regarding being artististic is duly noted, but like the Revy pic, there's a lack of balance in the photo. Contrast the reference pic for Byakuya with the cosplay pic. Reference pic is focused on Byakuya with the sakura providing the background ambiance. Now look at the cosplay pic. It's 80% sakura/environment, with a very obscured cosplayer. You can't look at this pic and really comment on the costume at all, mainly only the environment. Heck, it might be a very poorly done Death the Kid from Soul Eater if you want to press the issue (obvious exaggeration).

Art-schmart.... this shot is using the "artistic" angle and environment to hide other shortcomings.

Quote:
I highly doubt (very highly) that this was done to cover up her face. Most who cosplay don't have the face of an anime character (severe angular faces, yeah that's realistic). I'm sorry she didn't get facial surgery for her cosplay. Obviously she isn't truly dedicated /sarc

I agree. I typically try not to comment about face shapes or hair since it's not typically a fair argument (ie: it's always the cheap, low-blow from critics unless it's done incredibly well by the cosplayer), but if that's the only thing visible in a photo, well you're simply asking for it.
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
gothung wrote:

Art-schmart.... this shot is using the "artistic" angle and environment to hide other shortcomings.

I seriously doubt that she took that picture to hide "shortcomings." She didn't create a whole cosplay (which she wore around other people) just to be ashamed of her appearance. Well, only if you can prove she walked around carrying a cherry blossom to hide her face. Oh the shame. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1