• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Writers: Micronauts Film Departs from Comic Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the Marvel comics, what nostalgia value does this property even have in the US? Might as well just name it something else altogether and start fresh.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well there is a little nostalgia value, my friends and I had some of the toys when we were kids and later some of the Marvel Comics. However, changing the story radically and making it live-action makes me wonder how is it going to be much different than say, "Honey I Shrunk the Kids"? There were some dark elements to the comics and changing it into some goofy kid friendly version (if that's what they are going for) certainly wont get me to watch no matter how much nostalgia there is.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
Isn't this just a new adaptation of the toyline anyway? The fact that the Marvel comics are an adaptation themselves kind of makes it a moot point, doesn't it? I mean, why would anyone (or at least, anyone who's heard of Microman/Micronauts) expect this movie to be an adaptation of an adaptation? That would have been taking the easy out anyway, wouldn't it? So in this case, it kind of works. I just hope this movie really is a new adaptation, and not another generic parody/tribute movie, or another generic drama. Oh yeah, and I hope it's a family movie, too (unlike a certain trilogy of movies based on a certain other Takara franchise that involves robots that turn into vehicles, etc; just saying).

Incidentally, Hasbro weren't the ones who brought Microman to America initially. A company called Mego brought it to America in the 1970s/1980s (as Micronauts, of course). OTOH, I imagine Hasbro probably has an option on it now. In any case, it wasn't Hasbro originally.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
I don't think a comic can be an adaptation of a toy... maybe an adaptation of a story written on the back of the packaging the toys came with? (if there was such a story; I never collected the toys, though I vaguely remember commercials for toys that looked nothing like the comic characters).

Anyway, my nostalgia is based solely on the comics by Bill Mantlo (the go-to guy for comics based on toy lines in the '80s), so I guess I'm just one of the guys they're disappointing. I hope they keep their hands off "ROM: Spaceknight" -- since Disney is buying everything else in sight, they ought to secure the rights to that character and give us some Dire Wraiths and Galadorians in a future film.

Anyway, I've wandered far down memory lane. Excuse me while I go sulk over a nice piece of snail-loaf... Very Happy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
Well, there is enough nostalgia out there, for it to be included in the 'Robot Chicken' show.

Have to agree though, if you are going to 'wildly' depart from the comic, then why even bother attaching yourself to it. The way the writers are talking, it seems like the Micronauts' film is going to be alien looking to those fans who remember it. Seems like a recipe for fan backlash.

We all know that things will change from comic to live action, but they did a pretty good job on the X-Men and the Avengers. Wonder if, this is based solely on the toys, with only a nod to the comics.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, Hollywood must really be in a creative deficit at present as it seems they're even digging in the skips, out back for new ideas. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
@vanfanel:

With all due respect, that's like saying a TV show or a movie (or even a novel or a video game) can't be an adaptation of a toy. Besides, some toylines don't have much of a backstory, and as such, the ones making the adaptation might not have much to work with, which means that, for all intents, this new movie will be a new adaptation of the toyline, or at least, that's what I hope it will be (as opposed to either another generic drama, or another "comedic" tribute/parody that doesn't know what it's talking about).
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I remember "The Micronauts" from when I was a kid. I only owned one or two issues if I remember correctly. I remember the one issue I had was about the Micronauts going up against a madman who could control plants. The other issue I think I had took place in a spooky dollhouse in which the dolls there were controlled by a child.
It'll be interesting to see how the "Micronauts" film differs from the comics series. If it's going to be like the Japanese version,then it might be difficult for Americans who know the comics series to be familiar with it. There are a whole bunch of characters that we might not remember and it'll be confusing for us since it's the Japanese version,not the Marvel version.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
I doubt Hollywood is going for a Japanese version. The Micronauts and the Microverse were well fleshed out in the Marvel comic. It sounds more like the writers or producers wanted to do something completely original based on the American version of the toys.

Kinda sad really, it would have been nice to see the comic brought to life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1