• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Classic Arrangements

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
I would've played that FPS Rockman game.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
I've played BRS the Game before, while it wasn't challenging, it was fun to play, a nice mix of action RPG and shooting. Well at least the story seems better than the anime.

Vanillaware's GrimGrimoire, true that it was underrated, never got the chance to play Odin Sphere but GrimGrimoire was outstanding. As a big Harry Potter and time travel fan, the plot of this game is flippin' awesome. The 2D animation was gorgeous. And that beardy guy's name is Gammeldore lol . Gotta play it again. Very Happy

As for Gungrave, the 2nd game actually introduced the anime and it was probably one of a few video game-based show that didn't get screwed up. It's a big plus consider that the original source was a hardcore shooting game. But was SFII that good?
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Vanillaware's GrimGrimoire had the rotten luck to arrive in North America just when everyone was paying attention to the developer's side-scroller Odin Sphere, which I still don't like no matter how pretty it is. In contrast to Odin Sphere's awkward action-RPG trappings, GrimGrimoire is a strategy-RPG with real-time progression, as players generate and command various familiars in open battle.

My opinion on the two Vanillaware games is pretty much the opposite. Sure, Odin Sphere was pretty clunky but considering when the game came out in the PS2's lifespan, I'll forgive the slowdowns just because the game is so pretty. On the other hand, I found GrimGrimoire extremely frustrating; there's certain things a PS2 controller won't do well, and managing groups of familiars isn't one of them. It just seemed like the kind of game that would have been a lot better running on a PC, where you can tweak the controls to your liking.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Correction: Black Rock Shooter is NOT available for North America, it's only available for America. Canada, Mexico, and some European countries will NOT be getting it, due to some dumb licensing issues (hence why it took so long to come out). Everyon else will need to make an American/European account (from one of the countries that can get it) and then buy it from a points card or whatever from that region to get it...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
the Mega Man FPS only helps solidify my suspicions that Keiji Inafune is indeed an idiot whose ramblings about Japan sucking are mostly him projecting his own lack of talent onto others.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
So Capcom doesn't want to do a MML3 game but they want to use the old idea and make a FPS? Or they're borrowing ideas from the "Other M". This could be an interesting direction on the MM franchise. Be curious to see ho this turns out.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, Sony did the same thing many years later, nixing a North American PSP version of Soul Hackers because it didn't have enough new content (similar nonsense led them to deny us the Suikoden double pack)

Soul Hackers was never ported to the PSP though in Japan (the 3DS version is the first major port of the game). You're probably thinking of the original Devil Summoner that was released on the PSP in Japan.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, LucasArts shut down. Good thing the last good game they made was 20 years ago back when Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle were relevant.

AiddonValentine wrote:
the Mega Man FPS only helps solidify my suspicions that Keiji Inafune is indeed an idiot whose ramblings about Japan sucking are mostly him projecting his own lack of talent onto others.

I do find most developers who say the industry they're in sucks tend to be either jaded and bitter old folks who haven't made anything substantial in 10+ years, or they tend to be hacks who make games that aren't popular or good and probably say as much out of spite.

As for the concept, I hated when Metroid became an FPS and if Rock Man followed suit I would hate that as well. That screenshot doesn't even look like a Rockman game. Even if Prime is the best selling Metroid game in America (though obviously not Japan) that doesn't mean you should turn every game into an FPS for the franchise to be relevant in America. That's incredibly stagnant.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I would have played the hell out of that Megaman FPS, mostly because of its obvious visual and gameplay similarities to Metroid Prime. Those people know how to make a quality game and it shows.
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I think people did the right thing in regards to Roger Ebert. I believe that the best way to honor someone's life is to admit all of their flaws, even at the funeral.

I'd guess that fans (like me) are sad about LucasArts because they made great remakes of two Monkey Island games and put some other Adventure games on Steam. We were hoping they'd do the same to other games as well. Alas, it was not to be.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Why did Ebert's take on video games stick in so many craws? Because his opinion mattered. That's why.

No. It stuck in our craws because his opinion mattered and it was wrong. Here was this influential guy essentially dismissing an entire medium and he was wrong about it. That's why.

He should have stuck with movies. He was a terrific writer and a great reviewer. I've read hundreds of his reviews and have dozens almost memorised. But the guy should have left video games alone.

Perhaps it was a bit tasteless for some gamers to immediately mention hours after his passing that they weren't sad that he's gone. But they didn't actually owe him any respect, and so little was offered.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Black Rock Shooter: I assume the novelty of BRS in general hasn't worn off yet?

Maverick Hunter: A Megaman X FPS? Yeah, I don't think that would have sat too well with me. I don't understand how "dark and gritty" is even a solution to revive interest in a game series.

Quote:
"It's not something I would advocate," Svensson said.

That's one thing we have in common, Mr. Svensson.

PS2 on PSN: Honestly, they could stand to try a little harder and put better PS2 games on the PSN. The first Atelier Iris for example, as well as Dark Cloud 2, which was highly praised and is still one of the best games from the that era.

Soul Hackers: Hurray for more Shin Megami Tensei games. Keep 'em coming Atlus.

Extra Lives: I've missed this segment. And big shocker, I believe I have heard of Götzendiener. That cover art does look familiar too, as I'm quite certain I've seen it before somewhere. I have to admit, I do like the bit of trope deconstruction at the beginning. The hero and demon lord kill each other and she's got to save herself. Not a bad idea to start but it seems, according to you, they didn't really do much beyond that with this game. A shame it's only a novelty.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I was never that big a fan of Roger Ebert's film criticism (the man trashed A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, Blue Velvet, and Fight Club, while unironically praising the likes of Avatar and The Fifth Element), but I always respected him as a cultural authority who helped bring the virtues of cinema to the general public. I never much cared about his uninformed dismissal of video games - he (begrudgingly) admitted himself that he was totally unqualified to make such a judgment - but the shrill defensiveness with which gamers still react to it always amuses me. Anyway, even though I wasn't crazy about him I was sad to hear that he'd died.

Black Rock Shooter always sounded to me like the media nickname for some spree killer. "That boy out in Black Rock, gunned down a dozen folks in cold blood. Sick sumbitch." (No, I have no idea what the anime is about.)

Crap, I didn't know Soul Hackers was coming out so soon. I don't think I have the time and money for two Shin Megami Tensei games this summer. Which means I have to choose between this and IV...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Maverick Hunter: A Megaman X FPS? Yeah, I don't think that would have sat too well with me. I don't understand how "dark and gritty" is even a solution to revive interest in a game series.

Americans prefer hardcore and gritty to lighthearted and fun Laughing You see that all the time in boxart changes from Japan to America, like American Kirby VS Japanese Kirby. Even the original Rock Man was given a more 'manly' look in the American cartoon series so he looked more like He-Man compared to his actual boy-like appearance in the games which was no doubt modeled after Tetsuwan Atom by Tezuka. In modern times a grim and gritty FPS would do better in America even if it's a betrayal of the character. Though speaking of boxart, am I the only one who thinks of the original American boxart for the first "Mega Man" game when they see a Megaman FPS? Laughing
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
... If you were a real gamer, you would realize that. ...You're not a gamer.

There you go again, as if "gamer" were a status that anyone else here cares about.

And GrimGrimoire sounds appealing. I usually prefer discs over downloads, but I'm not sure how long my PS2 controller is good for. Maybe the PSN version would be best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4