• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: YouTube Japan Marks Golden Week With Streamed Concerts

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean we people outside of Japan/Asia can watch this and no region block? If it is, that means Japan is allowing J-pop to probably try to gain a massive audience. Looks like Japan is learning from the K-pop explosion. Let see if J-pop can get the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Does this mean we people outside of Japan/Asia can watch this and no region block? If it is, that means Japan is allowing J-pop to probably try to gain a massive audience. Looks like Japan is learning from the K-pop explosion. Let see if J-pop can get the same.

I'd rather not.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I'd rather not.

uh, may I ask why not? If K-pop can prove that music is universal and also prove that Asian pop can get popular outside of Asia then why can't J-pop do the same. Don't you want EXILE and AKB48 to get the same level of popularity as Super Junior and Girls Generation/SNSD. Last time I checked, I never seen EXILE perform a concert outside of Japan while Super Junior has already done many concerts outside of Japan (they just finished up doing concerts in South America, when was the last time EXILE perform in South America?). Also a lot of J-pop group like E-girls, J Soul Brothers can probably compete with K-pop group such as Girl's Day, Sistar, MBLAQ, 2PM, and U-KISS on a international level if Japan put effort to promoting them.

I can say the same for J-drama, Japan doesn't export a lot of dramas outside of Japan/Asia, where South Korea does that, again Japan is falling behind. Although Japan has given simulcast right for Itazura na Kiss-Love in Tokyo is a step in the right direction. Japan should try to do this more for drama. It'll help bring more tourist to Japan, that's the reason why there are more tourist in South Korea then in Japan, K-drama and K-pop. Now you know why we're in a Korean Wave, not the Japanese Wave. I believe Japan can replicate this just like South Korea did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1