• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. VP Biden: No Legal Issue With Taxing Violent Games, Media

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Things like cigarettes with known harm to people, have extra taxes. Entertainment like games and movies in the hands of various people, including many who ARE perfectly fine and have no violent tendencies! Sure, let's tax that for more $$!! Gotta pay off that national debt one Call of Duty at a time!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Joe Biden's intellect and education don' t leave him qualified to comment on whether 1 plus 1 equals 2, let alone on legal and taxation matters.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Taxes should not be used as some sort of "hammer against a percieved social problem", once taxes start becomeing some sort of indirect thought police it gets into some politicians heads to as such they invent taxes on EVERYTHING they don't like and then a decade later we are in crazy town with taxes for not slouching in public.
Davy0

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
You know what I've yet to hear, "I'm sorry, I wasn't there for my kid wasn't watching him well enough because I was doing my own thing, my irresponsibility led my kid to thinking they could do what they wanted.", and who is this supposed to be from? "The Parents".

I have to get screwed for what their kids do; hell I used to live in a bloody ghetto and never touched a gun let alone thought about killing someone with one. I play violent videogames everyday, and that is not the reason for my anger. Stupid people are. And oh look, stupid people want a tax. How thoughtful...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
Result for comprehensive (massively expensive) study: playing video games too much might make people fat.

Rolling Eyes
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Instead of cigarettes, I think alcohol might be a better analogy on more fronts:

Many people use alcohol to no ill effect - they drink in responsible portions and suffer no long-term damages from it, yet that is taxed by the government and no one complains because that's just how they've done it for a while now. Meanwhile, some binge drink and get sick, or get drunk and harm others, or have a natural tendency to become addicted to it, or over heavy long-term exposure one might develop liver disease.

On the OTHER hand, we've also tried outright banning alcohol as a recreational substance before... which didn't go so well. At least they're not seriously talking about that at the moment.
victor viper

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
Just one more example of an idiot politician engaging in pandering.

While we're brainstorming new taxes, I've got great one. Tax campaign contributions with a 95% marginal tax rate on anything over some threshold amount, say $100,000. Get a $1,000,000 contribution, promptly write a $950,000 check to the U.S. Treasury. It'll make pandering to these sub-90 IQ dimwits much more expensive.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
not gonna stop us from buying violent vidja games Razz
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
Mr. Biden, please explain this to your political cohorts.

There may be no legal reason that violent games, or anything else you don't like, can't be taxed.

There is a practical reason however, you won't keep your job.

Mark Gosdin
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
the_windcaster wrote:
Instead of cigarettes, I think alcohol might be a better analogy on more fronts:

Many people use alcohol to no ill effect - they drink in responsible portions and suffer no long-term damages from it, yet that is taxed by the government and no one complains because that's just how they've done it for a while now.
A number of people were quite upset when the first tax on alcohol was levied(what with it being their very money and all).
Eri94

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote
Hey Biden, you [expletive] idiot, no legal issue? How about the fact the supreme court already said they're protected just like books and movies are? You can't just "tax" violent ones.
daggerbob

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
Does this also apply to the Christian/Catholic Bible as well? Especially with all its sex, killings and violence in the Old Testament. Or are they a bunch of hypocrites?
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Joe Biden has no room to talk about violent videogames in the first place.This is a guy who's in an administration where drone bombings are done on a daily bases in the middle east and kill hundreds of children a year.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Going after video games, movies, and "media" so they really want to tax anything violent that they can. I want to really know what they consider "violent". Just R or M or etc rated things or what? What if those media don't have violence physically, but have other content to make those ratings? Seems too broad.
Altacia

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Result for comprehensive (massively expensive) study: playing video games too much might make people fat.

Rolling Eyes

Laughing

I loose weight when I really get into a game...

I forget to eat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5