• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Plans Blue Exorcist TV Blu-ray With English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HybridMedia

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, now the UK gets the chance of owning and watching the English dub of Blue Exorcist. Now if Aniplex of America can announce a release date with the English dub coming soon.
gojira89

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I hope that means that we'll get a Blu-ray/DVD with the dub soon.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
^^ It most likely does, I think. It wont exactly be cheap, but I dont see why they wouldnt. I might pick it up if they do decide to release it (preferably on a Right Stuf Christmas sale lol)
j Talbain

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I find everything from Aniplex America is mad overpriced.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Will they re-dub it? For that matter, are there many non-US English dubs?

I always wonder if non-US viewers wouldn't prefer to hear their own accents in dubs rather than US ones...
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:

I always wonder if non-US viewers wouldn't prefer to hear their own accents in dubs rather than US ones...

They won't redub it. Why pay for actors and production costs when you can just license one someone else already did

As for non-US dubs

Ocean studios (Black Lagoon, Death Note, Inuyasha, Original DBZ, Gundam) is based in Canada. They've done their fair share of dubbing in the R1 market

Arriety of course had two dubs, the US Disney one and the UK one

There are also some dubs by Odex in Singapore, they did Fantastic Children and Karin. They have a pretty bad reputation for crappy dubs though. There are some other companies in Asia that do english dubbing (very badly) to air on Asian (non-Japanese) TV
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
@Fencer They will not redub it.

Since the 90s, the only English anime dub recorded in any place outside North America is the British dub for The Secret World of Arietty, but since the film is from Studio Ghibli, that was a rare exception. Otherwise, the closest anime dubs to feature real British accents is Hellsing and Read or Die from New Generation Pictures.

Back in the 90s, MangaUK produced many of their own English dubs, with several being distributed in America (such as Project A-Ko, Angel Cop, Cyber City Oedo, the Patlabor movies, Mad Bull 34, the original Appleseed, etc). However, they were only recorded in England, and rarely featured English accents. They were recorded in a specific part of London, where most of the residents are from the US or (more commonly) Canada. MangaUK did get separate dubs for a few shows that got US dubs, but that was mostly due to different licensing forcing different dubs to be made (such as with Bubblegum Crash, A.D. Police Files, the Vampire Princess Miyu OVAs, Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie, Wicked City, Lupin III: The Mystery of Mamo, etc). They haven't done a dub in-house in nearly 15 years, however. They did do an English dub of Welcome to the Space Show recently, but it was recorded at NYAV Post in the US. In addition, AnimeLimited is doing an English dub of the new Cyborg 009 movie, also with NYAV Post.

But anyways, I REALLY hope Viz or Aniplex gives us a DVD & Blu-ray release soon with the English dub.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Screw AoA. I'm importing this. Cool
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Screw AoA. I'm importing this. Cool

UK anime Blu-rays will most likely be region B, so you'll probably need a region-free player (I'm assuming you're in the U.S. or Canada).
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
fencer_x wrote:

They won't redub it. Why pay for actors and production costs when you can just license one someone else already did

As for non-US dubs

Ocean studios (Black Lagoon, Death Note, Inuyasha, Original DBZ, Gundam) is based in Canada. They've done their fair share of dubbing in the R1 market

Arriety of course had two dubs, the US Disney one and the UK one

There are also some dubs by Odex in Singapore, they did Fantastic Children and Karin. They have a pretty bad reputation for crappy dubs though. There are some other companies in Asia that do english dubbing (very badly) to air on Asian (non-Japanese) TV

Don't forget the mother of all non-American dubs, Animax Asia. They run the whole gamut of dubbing things already with an American dub (i.e. Cardcaptor Sakura. K-ON, FMA: Brotherhood, YuYu Hakusho) to dubbing things that have never seen--and probably never will see--an official American release (such as ZZ Gundam, Gundam AGE, the entirety of Urusei Yatsura) Really, they're output is ginormous, though with Sentai Filmworks making inroads to sell their dubs overseas. Animx might start having their work cut out for them.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Back in the 90s, MangaUK produced many of their own English dubs, with several being distributed in America (such as Project A-Ko, Angel Cop, Cyber City Oedo, the Patlabor movies, Mad Bull 34, the original Appleseed, etc). However, they were only recorded in England, and rarely featured English accents. They were recorded in a specific part of London, where most of the residents are from the US or (more commonly) Canada.

Actually, Manga UK's in-house cast from the 90s was a good mix of American, Canadian, and British actors. Some of them like Peter Marinker (Captain Goto in Patlabor, General Donnor in Venus Wars), Sean Barret (Gogol in Cyber City, Brenton in Dominion Tank Police), and Bob Sessions (the, uh, antisemitic police chief from Angel Cop) were thoroughly British performers that, prior to their dubbing work, had experience in TV and on-stage acting.
Takuku

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Might be worth making clear that the DVD will have no dub.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
gojira89 wrote:
I hope that means that we'll get a Blu-ray/DVD with the dub soon.

Yeah. I hope this means we're getting closer to when Viz(?) can do it as I'd definitely pick it up day 1.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
Might be worth making clear that the DVD will have no dub.

Yep.
To clarify, this is what Manga UK have stated in their podcast;
- Blue Exorcist will be a 2 part, BD/DVD combo set
- The BD's will feature dual audio with subs
- The DVDs will just be the sub-only DVDs
- They state each set will feature 3 BD50's (can't see a 25 ep show needing 6 BD's myself)

More details at the London Comic Con.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well this basically confirms that NA will also get the BD with the dub..and if not....importing it~~
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Well this basically confirms that NA will also get the BD with the dub..and if not....importing it~~

Import it anyway. If it's anything like Madoka, odds are it'll cost half as much even with international shipping.

Unless of course, you just really, REALLY like postcards. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2