• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Princess and the Pilot [Premium Edition] Sub.Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Agree with the rating. This was not a top-tier movie but it was still fairly solid all round and highly enjoyable. Definitely worth owning.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
If I was a kid from Japan, I imagine this would be top - tier, without a doubt. For everyone else? eh. Maybe not so much.

I did buy it though. Well actually I had it pre-ordered as soon it was available for pre-order. But that's mostly because that's what I do. I've only watched it about 3 times so far spoiler[ The one character who puts the gold dust in his pocket should've been edited out altogether. Really weak as far as bad guy characters go. More annoying than anything else. There is also a scene where Charles apologizes before fulfilling his duty. That, like the conclusion was something else, I thought that was pretty good and wish their could've been more like it.]

Oh and one thing I did notice is that Mr. Sevakis of ANN is in the Localization Staff credits. That probably explains a lot of why it looks so damn good in HD.
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:

Oh and one thing I did notice is that Mr. Sevakis of ANN is in the Localization Staff credits. That probably explains a lot of why it looks so damn good in HD.

I think NISA includes him fairly regularly; he was credited on their Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko release too.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The Review wrote:
This being a NIS America release, it naturally does not have an English dub.
It is a great tragedy to anime fandom that this is true, that there exists this certainty that if NISA gets their paws on something it won't come with an English dub.

If they know that they're not going to dub it, why won't they do us a solid and leave it alone (ie:unlicensed) so that some other company that will at least offer us the chance of a dub will have a continuing option to pick it up?

Perhaps better still, they could start dubbing their releases (Even Maiden Japan has dubbed releases now). This "NISA Rule", in the spirit of the Funi & Sentai rules, needs to be broken.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
If they know that they're not going to dub it, why won't they do us a solid and leave it alone (ie:unlicensed) so that some other company that will at least offer us the chance of a dub will have a continuing option to pick it up?

Well that's a moronic request. If they did that then they'd never license anything and go out of business. Good thing NISA don't have you as an employee.

Echo_City wrote:
Perhaps better still, they could start dubbing their releases (Even Maiden Japan has dubbed releases now). This "NISA Rule", in the spirit of the Funi & Sentai rules, needs to be broken.

Your anger is misplaced. Companies have "rules" because they want to keep to their respective niches and proven business models.

Commissioning dubs is expensive, complicated and risky. NISA are going for a low-risk (well, a lower risk) business model and it seems to be working out for them. They are a business, not a charity, and overextending themselves by caving to moronic fan demands is a really dumb idea. By targeting their niche audience and being very careful with what they license, NISA can remain in business and turn a profit. That's still a fairly impressive feat in such a stuttering economy.

If you really wanted a dub for The Princess and the Pilot then you should be asking FUNimation or Sentai why they didn't license it. I highly doubt that NISA somehow prevented other companies from getting their hands on it; NISA probably only licensed it once other companies passed it over. You should also reflect on the fact that not every title is going to sell well-enough to justify a dub, and so it is sheer idiocy to demand that such titles get dubs even if it isn't economic to do so.
giseki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well that's a moronic request. If they did that then they'd never license anything and go out of business. Good thing NISA don't have you as an employee.

lol

as an anime fan who detests english dubs i'm am doubly glad that NISA don't have that person as an employee. i don't like buying anime these days simply because there is a dub on it...i feel like i'm financing these piss poor productions...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
And we're so glad to hear that you're one of these dinosaurs who thinks that English dubs for anime are still (or ever were!) uniformly awful. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
I don't get the mind set of "I'd rather not have it licensed at all, then have it released sub-only." Actually, I don't get the mindsets of people who would rather have a show not licensed than not released on bluray, or released without special features, etc. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Either way, you won't be buying the show. But at least this way, people who willing to accept the product for what it is can own it. These trains of thought always come across as pretty selfish to me.

I'm not happy when a show I really love is released sub-only, as many of my favorite series have been. However, I'd still rather have a chance to own them sub-only. Even if I decided not to buy them, I wouldn't steal other people's chances at buying them.
giseki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And we're so glad to hear that you're one of these dinosaurs who thinks that English dubs for anime are still (or ever were!) uniformly awful. Rolling Eyes

sorry for having an opinion key. it's not like I've not had experience of both. in fact i've always wanted to find an english dub that was good.

I remember a certain reviewer on this very site exclaiming that the beck mongolian chop squad english dub was superior to the japanese... this i had to see/hear Confused i soon wished i hadn't.

I would ask for your recommendation of a good english dub but...well...it's probably pointless. i once thought the problem was that i was seeing it in japanese first and then hearing characters i had grown to love with strange voices. But i remembered princess mononoke. i watched that twice back to back when it first came out (was one of the gateway anime'(what's the plural of anime?)) with the english dub. then the owner of the dvd recommend hearing it in japanese...well i'm sure you get the picture.

If your happy to hear that stuff then bully for you. Razz

edit...as for the key kyoani productions...you can't possibly suggest that they could be enjoyed with any dub other than the original. If you don't like that stuff then that's fine but they are a prime example imo of why japanese dub will always be superior to english. ... damn it's a japanese production. leave it alone will you?! what's wrong with some subtitles? ...i don't know... are you one of these people that can't watch a french film with subtitles?...(if there was an emoticon that shook it's head disapprovingly i would have it here)
lem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I think NISA includes him fairly regularly; he was credited on their Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko release too.

You're absolutely right for Denpa - the Credits text for that last page of Story Guide is rather small though, especially when compared to the last page of Flight Log so I didn't even notice. And a yep to Umineko (Case File), Hana saku Iroha, and the recently received The Everyday Tales of a Cat God(Antiques Unlimited)

Since you mentioned it though I just had to go and be all anal about it and pull the ones I have and check. I didn't see anything listed on - bunny drop (Rin's First Year), House of Five Leaves, Ghostly Prince, Arakawa, anohana (The Super Peace Buster Chronicle), kimi ni todoke (My Memories), Our Home's..(Takagami Family Album), To ra do ra ! Episode Guide, Wagnaria!! Special Sampler, Zakuro (Spirit Affairs Archives), Persona...(Official Artbook), or Natsume's.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Even if I decided not to buy them, I wouldn't steal other people's chances at buying them.

Totally agree with you on that.

It's just that some so called "fans" relish in being elitist pricks, thumbing their noses at others and basically narrowing their choices. And that works both ways, in either language, e.g., the "no dub no sale" (boo hoo hoo but I don't wanna learn Japanese) and or the "as an anime fan that detests english dubs" (how dare you listen to something in your native tongue).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Have no problem with the lack of a dubbed option for this. But as I complained about a while back, the lack of DVDs with this set saddens me. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
giseki wrote:
sorry for having an opinion key. it's not like I've not had experience of both. in fact i've always wanted to find an english dub that was good.

Having opinions is fine. But when you say something as provocative as (essentially) "all dubs still suck" then you should definitely expect some kind of rebuttal.

Quote:
I would ask for your recommendation of a good english dub but...well...it's probably pointless.

And I think you're probably right. You've somehow got it fixed in your head that Japanese performances are always better, no matter how well-done the English performance, so I doubt I could bring something up that you'd agree with. (For the record, though, Princess Mononoke had some performances clearly better in Japanese and some clearly better in English in my book.)

Quote:
edit...as for the key kyoani productions...you can't possibly suggest that they could be enjoyed with any dub other than the original. If you don't like that stuff then that's fine but they are a prime example imo of why japanese dub will always be superior to english. ... damn it's a japanese production. leave it alone will you?! what's wrong with some subtitles?

Kanon's dub was very solid and loses nothing compared to the Japanese dub. (Well, okay, it doesn't go quite as much into uber-cute overload as the Japanese dub, but I consider that a plus.) And I thought Angel Beats's dub was fine even though a lot didn't. The others are more debatable.

But this is the last I'm going to say about this, because this is straying way off-track and I'm not setting a good example here.
Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
There are plenty of examples where the Japanese dub is superior to the English. However, to say that is always the case is lunacy.

The very first anime series I collected was Descendants of Darkness. The English dub isn't particularly great, though I suppose it's not bad by early 2000's standards. The Japanese track on the other hand, is complete and utter garbage. It is probably one of the most miscast series I've ever listened to.

Hisoka's VA was especially bad. She took a gruff, angry teenage boy and turned him into a creepy, effeminate weirdo that sounded like a twelve year old girl. Her performance alone completely changed the nature of the character. The American VA was much closer to the true nature of the character in the manga, and best of all, he actually sounded like a teenage boy.

I've also found the English dub for Chrono Crusade to be stronger than the original. Not only do the English voices more closely match the character's personalities in the manga, but it just makes sense for American characters to actually speak English. I personally hate it when period pieces place characters in a foreign nation but have them speak the native language of whatever country produced it. Not to mention, ADV went the extra step of researching era relevant slang and incorporated it into the dub, adding to it's authenticity. That was something Gonzo was too lazy to do.

If someone is going to argue that viewers shouldn't be too lazy to read subtitles, shouldn't the same standards apply to the Japanese? Not to mention, in 99% of cases, with rare exceptions like Yugioh and the Persona 4 blurays, when a dub is produced, you still get your original Japanese track. Why can't people just be allowed to enjoy it in whatever language they see fit? Don't forget that there are people are who visually impaired, and others who simply read too slowly to follow most subtitle tracks. No one should be prevented from enjoying anime, just to suit the personal preferences of a very limited group of viewers.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:

Why, thank you. Smile
I'm a hired gun, and I've made all of NIS's blu-rays to date (not their DVDs). Occasionally they ask me to help with a few other things. Which is why although I really love some of their stuff, I tend to comment on those releases as little as possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1