• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Launches Shonen Jump Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
They didn't seem to mentioned whether the Naruto DVD will be uncut or not and if it will provide the Japanese language selection. =\
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
They didn't seem to mentioned whether the Naruto DVD will be uncut or not and if it will provide the Japanese language selection. =\

The uncut DVD will be release in 13-episode boxset.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:

At Comic Con it was announced that the DVDs will be released like this: edited 4-episode DVDs in March, uncut 13-episode box sets in July (dirt cheap ones, too - the producers estimated around 20 to 30 dollars).

Man, I'm hoping One Piece gets released through this. In uncut format of course Anime smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Man, I'm hoping One Piece gets released through this. In uncut format of course Anime smile

Not going to happen, 4Kids already said that they won't be doing uncut DVDs again for a long time. It would take quite a bit of money from Viz to convince them otherwise I'd imagine.

I wonder what type of banner they'll be selling the uncut Naruto DVDs under? Shonen Jump Advanced?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:

Unless it's 4Kids, assume that it will be uncut and there will be a Japanese language track with subtitles.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Yashou:
Quote:
At Comic Con it was announced that the DVDs will be released like this: edited 4-episode DVDs in March, uncut 13-episode box sets in July (dirt cheap ones, too - the producers estimated around 20 to 30 dollars).

Again, there's no way Viz could afford to sell it that cheap. It'll be $40 at best, with $60 the most likely.

Emerje:
Quote:
Not going to happen, 4Kids already said that they won't be doing uncut DVDs again for a long time.

Then they're going to seriously be hurting, since the only people who care about One Piece are the ones who buy the uncut Japanese versions.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Not going to happen, 4Kids already said that they won't be doing uncut DVDs again for a long time. It would take quite a bit of money from Viz to convince them otherwise I'd imagine.

4Kids has already promised Madman that they would release uncut DVDs for it. The edited version simply isn't big enough to warrant an edited DVD line - I'm sure even Al Kahn knows that. If 4Kids ever releases any DVDs of One Piece (which I'm sure they will. I mean, they have Australian and US distributors already, Madman and Viz), there's a 90% chance they'll be uncut. However... while the DVDs will undoubtedly sell well, whether or not anything gets released past the first few episodes is an entirely different issue.

GATSU wrote:
Again, there's no way Viz could afford to sell it that cheap. It'll be $40 at best, with $60 the most likely.

With Naruto's success, they could release the entire series in a box set for $50 and still profit from it.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Then they're going to seriously be hurting, since the only people who care about One Piece are the ones who buy the uncut Japanese versions.

you make a very good point, if they dont release anymore uncut dvds, like yugioh and shaman king, then the wont pertain to a wider audience like they should. speaking of which, why have they decided not to release anymore uncuts?
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually glad they've set a date for both series. (That much closer to Naruto uncut releases...)

I'm not going pick up the edited Naruto DVDs, but I know my cousins would probably eat it up.

Speaking of the uncut Naruto DVDs, I doubt they'll be less than $40 (if they are, then great.) I'd say around $40-$60 is probably correct, which is a still a great bargain considering you're getting 13 uncut episodes for the price. And let's not forget, some online retailers (like Best Buy) will most likely sell the uncut DVDs for even cheaper.

Man, I'm looking forward to the summer.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
speaking of which, why have they decided not to release anymore uncuts?

Some bullcrap about not wanting to outsell the edited versions.

It's bullcrap because Shaman King doesn't even have an edited DVD release. Take anything Al Kahn says with a saltshaker.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Some bullcrap about not wanting to outsell the edited versions.

It's bullcrap because Shaman King doesn't even have an edited DVD release. Take anything Al Kahn says with a saltshaker.

your absoulutley right, it's utter bullcrap. if the uncut dvds outsell the edited ones, then sell more and get more money. outselling the edited dvds just shows you a way to get money which is what their after. and parents could still buy the edited ones if their kids were to young for the uncut ones.
simple logic + wider audience=$
easy huh? i guess loic isn't always widespread
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
your absoulutley right, it's utter bullcrap. if the uncut dvds outsell the edited ones, then sell more and get more money. outselling the edited dvds just shows you a way to get money which is what their after. and parents could still buy the edited ones if their kids were to young for the uncut ones.
simple logic + wider audience=$
easy huh? i guess loic isn't always widespread

I think the deal is that 4Kids wants to jip people out of their money twice by having them double dip. By that I mean, releasing edited DVDs for kids and "dubbies", and then after that, releasing uncut DVDs to sucker out the dubbies yet again.

But this formula doesn't work with shows like Shaman King or One Piece, because both have more teen appeal than Yu-Gi-Oh! or Sonic X do, even in their edited forms, and neither have reason for edited releases. For Yu-Gi-Oh! it's... evil... but understandable, for One Piece and Shaman King it's absolutely pointless.

Last edited by Yashouzoid on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yashou:
Quote:

The most expensive price I can find for a 25-episode season of The Simpsons is $50. I'm pretty sure I once saw a Bebop boxed set going for $35. Adult Swim's originals (which are meant for a much more niche audience than Naruto) go for somewhere in the $20-$30 dollar range for 13 (albietly very short) episodes and manage to rake in lots of money. So 13-episode Naruto boxed set for around $30-40 dollars seems reasonable. Most people have had their expectations lowered by the fact that the majority of anime DVDs are way more expensive than they have any right to be.
Seca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
midori kou wrote:

Unless it's 4Kids, assume that it will be uncut and there will be a Japanese language track with subtitles.

But that's an uncorrect assumption in this case since in an earlier press release Viz stated that the first Naruto DVDs will be the dubbed and cut version shown on CN. As others have pointed out already the uncut with sub version will be released later in 13 episode sets.
appleturbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru no Go - Descent of the Go Master will retail for $24.98, while Naruto - Enter Naruto will retail for $19.98

the prices look great!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4