• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brothers Conflict (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Brothers Conflict (TV)

Genres: romance
Themes: reverse-harem

Plot Summary: After her dad remarries, Ema moves into the Asahina Family House and acquires 13 brothers. Ema intended to live peacefully with them as a family, but the sudden appearance of a girl in an all male household causes a uproar . Going on with their lives, the brother’s feelings for Ema start change and could be the start of a romance or being close friends.
----------------------------------

13 Episodes
Romance, Reverse Harem, Shoujo, Comedy

Ep. 1
OK. Harems are fine. Reverse harems are fine. But 13? Surely there's a word for this, cause it feels like it's simply beyond the word "harem" at this point. Bluntly put, too many names and faces, especially for just 1 episode. Spread over 2/3 episodes it could probably have pulled it off, but all-in-one makes for a heavy load for this viewer.

Aside from that, doesn't seem like as much story content is there, as say like the most recent r-h show Amnesia, but more reliance on comedy for carrying the show. Figures with a 13-man harem. Lead seems like your run-of-the-mill shoujo female lead. Guys fill out most roles and archetypes, although I sense with so many we'll see several of them seem similar to each other or like a mash-up of 2 others as we get to know them all more. And Juli. Try to deny the adoreableness. Just try to.

Just from the fact that they went with 13 makes me choose to stick with the show. R-H shows don't come about often, and this wasn't awful really, there is potential to be exploited. I just hope it can do a better job of it than Amnesia did.

Last edited by Shuurai25 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Shuurai25 wrote:
I just hope it can do a better job of it than Amnesia did.

Does Ema have a personality and talk in complete sentences?
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Overall, it was pretty boring for me. I tried to focus really hard on the first 18 minutes but this type of anime isn't really for me. I'll give 2-3 more episodes before deciding to drop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[squirrel] was pretty funny ^^
It was also kinda annoying.
I'd really like to play this visual novel.
I bet it's way better than the anime.
Well, the guys do look interesting ^///^
spoiler[She's turning out to be "the fragile" heroine type.
Don't see this having much plot.... that's typical T-T]

Oh, well, I'll probably watch this.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This one's a tough call. Everybody's pretty enough but so far this is incredibly stupid. And the decor of their place looks like it was lifted from a flash Escape game. Smile

getchman wrote:
Does Ema have a personality and talk in complete sentences?

She hasn't had a lot to say, and tends to stutter when she does, but she thinks a lot, so there is some input from her character.

They're moving at a breakneck speed to cover all the tropes it seems. I've never seen spoiler[omg! she's got a fever] done in the first episode before, since that usually relies on everyone deeply caring for the character to make it super dramatic, and they barely know her.

Also it would appear they've already spoiler[whittled down the harem from 13 to 10.] I could be mistaken on at least one of those though. I certainly hope I'm not mistaken on at least one of those.

If the stupid doesn't overcome the eye candy and I keep watching, this is definitely a series where names are going right out the window (I have trouble with casts of 4 or more, 14 is hopeless) and everyone will be referred to by their hair color or character traits.

Btw, was there any way to know her name is Ema just from this episode? I don't recall anyone actually calling her by her name, except for the Chi nickname.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Just watching the first episode had me thinking how ridiculous it was. The a house full of brothers who all look really, really, really ridiculously good looking, they all fit various tropes that excite the ladies, but I assume none of them have girlfriends for some reason as they all seemed fine to flirt with her, to flirt with their new sister.

So they apparently make her over competent that she gets herself sick in the first episode, So that works too hard is apparently her weakness, and everyone loves her, she is definitely not a Mary Sue. Rolling Eyes Oh there is one guy who is not loving it, but he is apparently from her class, looks like a rock star, and has an obvious crush on her. They also live in some sort of dreamy mansion.

Also for some reason she has a small green alien squirrel that only she can hear speaking for some reason, who has an annoying protective pet voice.

Watching this and Free has me thinking about the change of the anime industry. We are not pieces of meat just to be stared at ladies. Razz I will watch this for now since this the total opposite the usual crap I watch, and the first episode had spoiler[twincest].
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you work out and get shredded, getting mired at isn't so bad.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
Just got round to watching this. Against all better judgement I kind of liked it I guess? I know that this won't be very good and that the story will be pretty standard all the way through (she's super amazing and they'll all fall in love with her), but I'll probably end up watching all of it anyway.

DuskyPredator wrote:
We are not pieces of meat just to be stared at ladies. Razz

You're not? Wink
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Interesting start. wasn't terrible, nor was it any better than I thought it would be. Fansubs were terrible though, so hopefully Funi will start streaming this as soon as possible. wasn't bored and the antics between the twins and Tsubaki teasing Ema was amusing, so i'll try a few more episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Mad Oh dear god!

This is what it feels like for girls when they see an awful harem. It was like torture, I just wanted to kick those guys flirting with their stepsister, although I laughed at the idea of giving her a hard time. And it was treated like some big deal that someone would actually spoiler[find some bothersome aspects of her being there], that is life.

But she still should have punished that guy at the end, siblings are allowed to do that. *says someone who has three younger siblings*

And what kind of little boy acts like that?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
*Sigh* those brothers really need time to adjust.
This reverse harem has some really nice potential.
Wish they would translate the visual novel.
I'd love to play this game ^^
Looks like more than one is already blushing severely ^-^
Fuuto was the annoying one this time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

So Ema likes playing a game series, Zombie Hazard, so much that she pulls all nighters, seems like they have missed a good chance to actually show an actual interesting personality for her. I assume that "Zombie Hazard" is a reference to Resident Evil, since the Japanese name is "Bio Hazard", and it would actually make her interesting if she had such a strong interest in something like that. Especially more than someone who would allow themselves to be spoiler[pushed around by their little brother like she was by that brat] in this episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Am I missing something (like brothers of other mothers) or did their mother start having babies when she was like, 8? I mean, the oldest son is 31, and she doesn't look a day over 40 (well, 30, actually, but that can't be!).
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Am I missing something (like brothers of other mothers) or did their mother start having babies when she was like, 8? I mean, the oldest son is 31, and she doesn't look a day over 40 (well, 30, actually, but that can't be!).

And Ema's dad looks like he's only a couple of years older then the oldest brother.

Maybe they've been blessed with extremely good genes.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering why she needs a key to get into her room. is part of the house an old apartment building?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4