• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dangan Ronpa the Animation (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote

Danganronpa Kibō no Gakuen to Zetsubō no Kōkōsei The Animation (TV)
Genres: Action, Mystery, Horror, Psychological

Synopsis
A group of 15 elite high school students are gathered at a very special, high class high school. To graduate from this high school essentially means you'll succeed in life, but graduating is very difficult. The school is presided over by a bear called Monokuma, and he explains to them that their graduation hinges around committing a murder. The only way to graduate is to kill one of your classmates and get away with it. If the other classmates discover the identity of the killer, the killer is the only one executed. However, if they fail to catch the killer, only the killer graduates and the others are annihilated. Which of the 15 will survive the bloodbath to come?

Episode 1:
Decent start so far with the cast. One of the characters has really strange hair while another one has some muscles despite being a girl. Anyways, the theme seems to be survival and is one of the reasons I picked this series up is because of the interesting synopsis I read awhile back.

In regards to adaptation, I think this one pulled it off decently. Even though games aren't very easy to adapt, I have confidence in this series.

As for Monokuma, he reminds me a little of Kyubey from PMMM and Koemushi from Bokurano. Definitely interesting start so far though imo. Also, spoiler[lol @ the fish in this episode. Silly. The ending of the 'hehehehe' was also weird.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arkov

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote
Really interesting concept, shame the main character/main love interest are so boring. Here's hoping the rest of the cast remains interesting enough to carry the show (lookin' at you purple eyed girl, we all know you're the Queen of Games).

Edit: also, shall we place bets on the (eventual) killer? I'm going with Chihiro. Aoi at a second guess. Everyone else seems to obvious.
Skullface

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Highly suggest anyone that is only watching the anime to STAY AWAY from any places of potential spoilers (basically the internet haha) because the game has a very large English fandom (from the translated lets play and now the english patch for the game). Who all assume everyone has already read the game so spoilers are pretty much everywhere.

So far adaptation is rushed as hell but I guess it's good enough for now. Though, it will really come down to the next episode and how they handle it.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. I was getting annoyed that all the new anime, besides Servant X Service, were basically all girl shows...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Am I the only one that think that thespoiler[ really quiet girl, Chihiro, looks like obviously a guy in drag], this is mostly based on the voice, but the spoiler[chest gives no indication of gender].

As for likely killers, I will pit my eggs so far on spoiler[the bookworm and the butler looking guy]. Although I think there is a good chance we will see spoiler[main love interest go yandere].
Noctis313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
whoa,survival game *-*. This anime has a lot of potencial.
my guess is the swimmer girl will be the first one to be killed
probably new rules will be given with time...
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
This had me right from the start with the Voyage dans la Lune intro. What the ... Twisted Evil The weirdness will hopefully continue and increase.

So far, I'm rooting for Togami because of his lovely attitude and Akira Ishida.

But yeah, the protagonist and love interest seem a bit tame. Still, the Battle Royale like setting has a lot of psychological tension to offer, so hopefully we will get to see some nice character development on the plainer ones.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Noctis313 wrote:
whoa,survival game *-*. This anime has a lot of potencial.
my guess is the swimmer girl will be the first one to be killed
probably new rules will be given with time...

I disagree. It will either be the fanzine writer or the bookworm.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
This one looks interesting!
The school from hell ^^"
It's fascinating watching them cope with the situation.
Wonder how long will it take before some of them freak out completely.
That creepy bear really knows how to push their buttons.
Will be watching this one! It's certainly creepy enough.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
To the posters mentioning the main love interest, she isn't a main character so I doubt there is going to be a romance route. The only main characters are the bear, Makoto, and the mysterious silver haired girl.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
If she's not a main character, I guess spoiler[she could be a likely candidate for an early death, thus providing some additional terror and motivation for the protagonist's character development.]

edit: spoiler tags attached, even though this is pure speculation on my part

Last edited by Knoepfchen on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Arkov

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
To the posters mentioning the main love interest, she isn't a main character so I doubt there is going to be a romance route. The only main characters are the bear, Makoto, and the mysterious silver haired girl.

Oh thank god. Silver hair girl looks set to be my favourite already, too.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
So spoilers aren't spoilers if they're spoiled in the correct routes? This is sarcasm.
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
Another battle royale type of anime. The characters don't really hook me yet but the premise itself is quite interesting. Definitely curious about how these geniuses will play the game.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
wasn't sure about this before watching, but now I am. I'm guessing fatty will die first
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11