• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2013 - Kodansha Comics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Almost all digital releases will be available worldwide, but a small percentage (no titles specifically mentioned) will be "region locked" depending on territory. Color pages will be retained as much as possible for digital releases of new titles. However, this applies to pages that were in color in the tankobon (graphic novel) release, not magazine chapters.
Good good. Now as long as this isn't ritorisoulty stupid like Attack On Titan geting Region Locked, I think we can safely say Kodansha won the UK Digital Manga wars.

Quote:
The status of the Sailor Moon artbook right now has been delayed, as Naoko Takeuchi is still creating new art for the book. Right now it is expected that the artbook will be due sometime in 2014. Kodansha USA has also asked Kodansha Japan about bringing Takeuchi to the United States as a guest, but due to her busy schedule, this has not been possible so far.
Er...
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Digital pricing will initially be at MSRP (the same as print) for all platforms except the iBookstore, which will cost $4.99 to match the original iPad app pricing. However, it is expected that readers will be able to buy the e-books for a lower price, as platforms like the Nook (through Barnes and Noble) offer discounts on MSRP pricing for manga.

Well, the eBook discount better be around 27% at least then. There is no way I would pay upwards of $11 for a digital edition when the print would be cheaper. I wouldn't even bother pre-ordering their print books anymore just because the price drops more after the release date also. B&N coupons also aren't useable for Nook books and such either.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't mentioned but Negima will not be on digital either because "it's not possible at this time."
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
If Vinland Saga does well, Kodansha is also hoping to branch out further into the historical genre as well as more seinen titles in general. Applegate said that the company is "very serious" about the push for Vinland Saga, which will include promotional table displays at Barnes and Noble stores.

Gotta hope that would include a series like Hitoshi Iwaaki's Historie. That and Hitoshi Ashinano's Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou would be phenomenal!

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Urasawa's Billy Bat after a few volumes of Vinland Saga.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
It wasn't mentioned but Negima will not be on digital either because "it's not possible at this time."
Given that Kodansha managed to alienate Ken Akamatsu enough for him to end the manga suddenly, I doubt they're ever getting any rights they don't already have.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Quote:
Digital pricing will initially be at MSRP (the same as print) for all platforms except the iBookstore, which will cost $4.99 to match the original iPad app pricing. However, it is expected that readers will be able to buy the e-books for a lower price, as platforms like the Nook (through Barnes and Noble) offer discounts on MSRP pricing for manga.

Well, the eBook discount better be around 27% at least then. There is no way I would pay upwards of $11 for a digital edition when the print would be cheaper. I wouldn't even bother pre-ordering their print books anymore just because the price drops more after the release date also. B&N coupons also aren't useable for Nook books and such either.
Really, as long as it doesn't go higher than MSRP I'm not entirely bothered as long as I can buy hte damn thing.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Given that Kodansha managed to alienate Ken Akamatsu enough for him to end the manga suddenly, I doubt they're ever getting any rights they don't already have.
Yet he's coming back to them for his new series whenever that is. I hope they can sort out something since Negima is a bestseller for them.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
If Amazon sees a lower price on another site for an ebook, then they're going to just price match it eventually.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
If Amazon sees a lower price on another site for an ebook, then they're going to just price match it eventually.
That is how that usually works, yes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1