• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bragging about bootlegs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
Can we ban talk about bragging about owning bootlegs? It seems to be more rampant lately and it's extremely annoying. Talk about fansub sites and bootleg sites are already filtered, so I think being able to report people who are swinging their joy of owning a bootleg around is right in line with that precedent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Can we ban talk about bragging about owning bootlegs?

If this occurs, then I opt for banning any type of bragging as well, since the only purpose it serves is to inflate the egos of those who own products others can't buy due to their lack of finances.
Say "goodbye" to the pics of wearing t-shirts adorned with school girl uniforms.

See the slippery slope this leads to? I'm not sure why you're upset over the remarks made by these people, but how is it any different than those who are bragging they're watching "Series X" when it's not legally available?

Just because the site isn't mentioned?

No offense, but this is just a crude request for censorship and I will not support it. There's enough of it as it stands.

Brag back in defense to those who upset you with their illicit purchases and consider the source when doing so.
Cool
I'll call out the black vans and helicopters to assist.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
But I can still brag about my studliness, right?

But seriously. Yeah, I can see bragging about bootlegs would be annoying, but it should be handled the way fansub sites are handled now. We can say what we've seen via fansubs, but we can't provide any identifying information.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
What? Do people actually brag about bootlegs? Something you can get for free on dah web, with better quality, and which doesn't require a physical player? Never seen it, but I feel left out of something really hilarious.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Can we ban talk about bragging about owning bootlegs? It seems to be more rampant lately and it's extremely annoying. Talk about fansub sites and bootleg sites are already filtered, so I think being able to report people who are swinging their joy of owning a bootleg around is right in line with that precedent.

I don't really think that follows. ANN prohibits providing links to fansub sites (just as they do for bootleg sites) but by no means do they outright ban bragging about downloading fansubs. Assuming you do it in an appropriate context and in an appropriate manner, it is acceptable to express your stance that you do download fansubs.

It's often the case that someone bragging about downloading fansubs will run afoul of the rules for being off-topic, soapboxing, trolling, flaming, etc. However, that may often be the case with people bragging about buying bootlegs. If one manages to express their opinion that they prefer to buy bootlegs without doing any of the above then I don't really see a precedent to say it should be against the rules.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I think being able to report people who are swinging their joy of owning a bootleg around is right in line with that precedent.

There's nothing stopping you from reporting them, especially if they are obviously trolling. Unlike many forums, some effort is made to enforce the rules here.

People know that bootlegs are not appreciated by most of the membership here, so they deliberately come to the ANN forums knowing they will get a rise out of someone. It's just bored, immature people who have nothing better to do than try to pick a fight with someone on the internet so they can proclaim their self imagined superiority and somehow feel better about themselves.

Just ignore them. If they weren't having so much fun getting us uptight ANN forum people all wound up about things, then they probably wouldn't bother in the first place.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
See the slippery slope this leads to? I'm not sure why you're upset over the remarks made by these people, but how is it any different than those who are bragging they're watching "Series X" when it's not legally available?

Here's where I think there's a difference: ANN has a thread dedicated to helping people spot bootlegs so they don't buy them because of the exchange of money for an illegal product, and 99.9% of people get pretty upset when they realize they have unknowingly bought a bootleg (remember your Bebop set?). With fansubs, you download them for free, you watch them for free, no one makes money off you, and they're for your personal use. There's also a small amount of anonymity when you say "I watched Bakemonogatari". Was it fansubs? Did you see it in Japan? Did you buy the Japanese or Taiwanese BD/DVDs? You don't really know. But when you declare "I bought a bootleg of Bakemonogatri", you're declaring out loud that you funded an illegal business (fansub sites aren't businesses).

As to why I'm upset: It's annoying. It's annoying to hear people are knowingly funding an illegal business (there's that word again). It's the exchange of money for illegal goods that grinds my gears.

egoist wrote:
What? Do people actually brag about bootlegs? Something you can get for free on dah web, with better quality, and which doesn't require a physical player? Never seen it, but I feel left out of something really hilarious.

It's not so much bragging as it is throwing it out there that they're knowingly buying bootlegs for Reason X. John Casey did it in the KnK thread here and it seems like every other post Starsplash Taiwan makes is him talking about buying bootlegs.

ikillchicken wrote:
I don't really think that follows.

You're right, it's a stretch. I tried too hard in my blind anger.

I don't know what mods can do, but I want to know if something can be done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote
Haven't you beaten this horse to death already? I noticed this thread, and I was going to ignore it. But since you mentioned my name, its kinda hard to now.

Ur first post is stupid. Ur asking for censorship because you dont like what other people are expressing or doing. This isn't China man. Im not reciting the debate again since you putting my name out there in public and wording it the way you did means you are blatantly ignoring what I said. I listed my reasons and defended my views. If you dont like it, so be it, but that doesn't mean I was bragging about it or trolling. There is no rule saying you can't defend what you are saying and I did so. I said what I said. End of story. I didn't list any sites, so I didn't do anything bannable.

Dude, let it go. Right now, ur being annoying. I really dont want anymore trouble. Im done arguing about this and I have not mentioned anything about bootlegs for a while on this forum. If you want to argue in private, bring it on. But dont be calling out on people like this. Its immature and at the same time, instigating a fight that no one wants.

Oh ya... regarding that first link. I read it. There is no reason any series should cost 400$+. Thats not bragging, thats just common sense. The people in that debate might be unified on the bootleg thing, but at the same time, I think everyone was astonished about the 400$ insane pricetag.

Last edited by Starsplash Taiwan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
As to why I'm upset: It's annoying.

I understand your position. Hell, I find it annoying people use the word "theft" when talking about fan sub sites. However, I sure as hell wouldn't demand censorship over it, and this is what your request is doing.

As others pointed out, there are better options than to solicit the expulsion of "free" speech (stated only within the bounds of a private business).

By the way, and certainly not to discredit your position, the bootleg Bebop set was better than the Remix collection I replaced it with. I am so goddamn pissed off at Bandai right now, I could literally slash a few throats over there.

The 5.1 is a joke, the video was compressed so horridly, it's now a choppy mess of bullshit, and it wastes DVD space in lieu of stupid, stupid bullshit (useless extras).

I want my bootleg version back because the video was crisp, clean, and vibrant. The 5.1 didn't sound as though it were recording in a soup can. Extras? Just a preview or two, and only on the last DVD. The rest of the DVD was used for the video (the way it should be).

@Starsplash Taiwan: KoH didn't mention you by name at all. In fact, I was assuming he was speaking of another member as I read this post, given how vocal he was about the collection he bought.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
PJ - check TKoH post above - not only did he mention Starsplash Taiwan by name, he hotlinked his profile.
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
@PetrifiedJello

Im Starsplash Taiwan. You can't see the posts because my defence had been interpreted for trolling and deleted. If that was the case, John Casey's posts should of been deleted since he was egging people on and bragging about bootlegging.

King of Harts decided to ignore all my reasons and my stance and focus on one thing: I bought bootlegs. Nevermind that Im not the only one doing it and the fact that I have spent almost 10-12 times as more money on official posters, R1 releases and merchandise. But the fact that I bought bootlegs. If you wanna know my reasons back then I will tell you in private, but not here since we dont need another volcano erupting again. Not only that, any defence that I give would be taken as a trolling attempt. I just dont like it when anyone states that any opinion and actions that he or she don't agree with should be censored and banned. Like I said, this isn't China. I would of let that pass, but he called me out, so... here I am rebuttling.

BTW, only the first couple was about bootlegs. The rest, I was trying to figure out when certain series will come out in the states so I can import them to Taiwan. To say even almost all my posts are about bootlegs is incorrect.

@egoist: Bottom line: The 400$ is just for the series alone, nothing else. TO me, there is nothing there that justifies it being 400$. There is nothing in Japanese singles that should cost more than 30$ but is 80-90. If you wanna pay 400$ for just 1 series like that, be my guest, but Im not, even if Im dying to get my hands on it. If anime companies want to overchage like that, then I wouldn't be surprised if more companies do go extinct.

Im done arguing. I dont want to get into trouble for defending my stance. If you want to argue more about this, you can PM me and Ill respond back.

Last edited by Starsplash Taiwan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 am; edited 11 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
Starsplash Taiwan wrote:
Oh ya... regarding that first link. I read it. There is no reason any series should cost 400$+. Thats not bragging, thats just common sense. The people in that debate might be unified on the bootleg thing, but at the same time, I think everyone was astonished about the 400$ insane pricetag.

Yeah, let's make sure the people who are the roots of income for anime understand this.
History class in 50 years: "Anime was a highly appreciated form of animation that went extinct due to the lack of monetary gain. Although the animators didn't care for the money and kept working, they all starved to death."

Starsplash Taiwan wrote:
Im Starsplash Taiwan. You can't see the posts because my defence had been interpreted for trolling and deleted. If that was the case, John Casey's posts should of been deleted since he was egging people on and bragging about bootlegging.

At least on that we can agree.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
PJ - check TKoH post above - not only did he mention Starsplash Taiwan by name, he hotlinked his profile.

*slams head into desk.

There. Maybe this action will get those pesky things to work now.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Follow this simple rule:

Nobody cares about your stupid bootlegs.

If everyone can follow that rule, we'll all be happier. Okay?

Also:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

By the way, and certainly not to discredit your position, the bootleg Bebop set was better than the Remix collection I replaced it with. I am so goddamn pissed off at Bandai right now, I could literally slash a few throats over there.

You really need to stop, take a deep breath, and think before you click 'post', because this makes you sound like a goddamn psychopath.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You really need to stop, take a deep breath, and think before you click 'post', because this makes you sound like a goddamn psychopath.

As long it goes no further than "sound like", I'm okay with it. It's not like I'm calling out Anonymous to DDoS their servers or anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2